DCA Semi-but not really-official corps list

i believe you are correct, as of how they did things last year.

Now to figure the likely performance order....for those who werer out last year, I think it's based on the previous years placement? Not sure how it would work between RCR as a first timer and SCD as a returning corps (even with a year break)....I HATE going on first....happens ALL the time out here!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think performance order is basedon scores received this year in august that get averaged for the last spots...after that, no clue. flip a coin?

I think Class A status has to be declared before the first show of the year.

Where is Peashey when we need him? :ph34r:

retired from DCA duties :P

I think Class A status has to be declared before the first show of the year.

Where is Peashey when we need him? :ph34r:

No ,,Last year,,,DCA created a rule that you had to Declare Class A Status by June 1st or you automatically get lumped into open class.

Retired... not dead - I'm here in Seattle

lol

It's June 1st for the Class A declaration...

This was done to "preserve" Class A from being corrupted by anyone cutting people to do class A instead of going into championships with the likelihood of getting knocked out of finals in open. This is all tied in to taking 3 class A corps in finals.

Order in prelims can get VERY complicated... but yes, basically it's based on seedings which is determined by your highest August Score...

As is often the case, many of the class A and sometimes even open class corps do not have a seed score from August... at that point a whole bunch of rules enter the picture...

oh yes, and there is still the "members exception" rule that basically states that a full member corps not having a seed score in August can elect to go on in the position they finished last year... fortunately, with more sanctioned shows in August in the Midwest and eventually the West... this may some day soon become a dinosaur of a rule...

Also, minus the seed score... no matter which class.... (other than declared Class A goes before Open to allow a "fair" adjudicative comparison in each class) the 13 full 2006 members go on after associate members and associate members go on after affiliate members and affiliate members go on after newcomers

whenever a group of corps have no seed score and end up grouped together.... they draw for those positions

got a headache yet? Sorry you asked?

and of course next winter is another rules congress and it may change again... although I hope not... my opinion is that this falls into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" class - it has created some of the most exciting drum corps contests in history at the prelims in 2004 and 2005...

And of course I must state that I am not in any way affiliated with DCA except perhaps as a volunteer at the championship... if they have changed anything in these rules without me knowing... forgive me... but I'm pretty sure all this still applies...

I "shortcutted" the seeding exception rule... it's a little more complicated than just being a voting member... you must have been a voting member for I think 3 years in a row.... I do remember that 2005 was the first time when Renegades met the requirement and went on based on the previous championship position... prior to that, this rule pretty much was "owned" by MBI

Tom, thanks for the Glade aerosol.

Yes, the prelim placement rules are very complicated, and obviously (and rightfully) slanted toward those corps which have supported the DCA circuit and the championship contest.

It seems to me that, years ago (and Tom please correct me if my corpuscular RAM is approaching total meltdown), the 10 member corps (and there could only be 10 back then) drew for the last 10 prelim positions at the spring draw. Everyone else drew for the early spots at the prelim pre-contest meeting the night before. This obviously had built-in advantages and drawbacks.

I'm not sure if the four "associate members" (positions 11-14 from the prior year) then drew for the last four spots before the 10-member block or if they were thrown in to draw with all the others (there were no "affiliate corps" back in the 1970s).

Thanks...!

early on... the draw for positions was done at the meeting the day before the championships... and you're right... members, then associates, then others... BUT

it was backwards... Prelims and finals was on the same day... so - members went on FIRST, followed by Associates and then everyone else... and each block was a straight draw... It lasted this way for many years...

The reason for this was to get prelims out of the way and then allow the corps competing for the championship to run as "normal" a game day as possible getting ready for the evening finals...

At some point - the draw for members and associates switched to the spring draw meeting as the corps thought it was better to know long before the big day what type of schedule to plan...

Funny story (well... poignant if not funny) about the one day championship... 1975 was the year of PHOENIX - the corps that came from no where. I was one of Vince Bruni's right hands in Crusaders... Cru had an early draw and left for their practice prior to finals... However, we figured Phoenix (also from Rochester and mostly x Cru members or Brig members) would make finals and were concerned... I drew the enviable (?) job of staying behind - skipping drill rehearsal - and watching Phoenix who were going on at the end of the day - I was charged with bringing their score to the corps at rehearsal and our actual performance time.

If you know your history, you know that with a sudden surge negotiated by the master - Corky Fabrizio - Phoenix went on that day at Holleder Stadium and left little grass on the field for the finals show... they burned it up... and me???? well about 30 seconds into their show I was just about sick to my stomach as I knew that our alter ego had not only beat us... but darn well may have been the best corps in prelims... their 5th place, first appearance ever score was a shock to everyone and put me in a "please don't shoot the messenger" situation back with my corps... Having seen them, I knew it was no fluke but not having been there everyone simply reacted with a big ... "What the ................" You have to understand that they had NEVER performed anywhere near this level at prior shows or RCA...

Their feat remained unequaled in DCA until the likes of Renegades and Inspires....

early on... the draw for positions was done at the meeting the day before the championships... and you're right... members, then associates, then others... BUT

it was backwards... Prelims and finals was on the same day... so - members went on FIRST, followed by Associates and then everyone else... and each block was a straight draw... It lasted this way for many years...

The reason for this was to get prelims out of the way and then allow the corps competing for the championship to run as "normal" a game day as possible getting ready for the evening finals...

At some point - the draw for members and associates switched to the spring draw meeting as the corps thought it was better to know long before the big day what type of schedule to plan...

Funny story (well... poignant if not funny) about the one day championship... 1975 was the year of PHOENIX - the corps that came from no where. I was one of Vince Bruni's right hands in Crusaders... Cru had an early draw and left for their practice prior to finals... However, we figured Phoenix (also from Rochester and mostly x Cru members or Brig members) would make finals and were concerned... I drew the enviable (?) job of staying behind - skipping drill rehearsal - and watching Phoenix who were going on at the end of the day - I was charged with bringing their score to the corps at rehearsal and our actual performance time.

If you know your history, you know that with a sudden surge negotiated by the master - Corky Fabrizio - Phoenix went on that day at Holleder Stadium and left little grass on the field for the finals show... they burned it up... and me???? well about 30 seconds into their show I was just about sick to my stomach as I knew that our alter ego had not only beat us... but darn well may have been the best corps in prelims... their 5th place, first appearance ever score was a shock to everyone and put me in a "please don't shoot the messenger" situation back with my corps... Having seen them, I knew it was no fluke but not having been there everyone simply reacted with a big ... "What the ................" You have to understand that they had NEVER performed anywhere near this level at prior shows or RCA...

Their feat remained unequaled in DCA until the likes of Renegades and Inspires....

Always nice to hear from someone who actually knows what they are talking about. :)