Screeching sopranos that like to hang over and stick out of the ensemb

The best players also don't need to stroke their own egos and they know that drum corps isn't about how good individual players are, but how well the team works together, which also means releasing notes together.

If that was so, then DCA wouldn't have a "best showmanship" award at Finals retreat. The style of individual performers in DCA is more accepted than in DCI, let's say - and in DCA, it's not only more accepted, it's rewarded.

The fact is, most of them are probably trying to get that award.

I'm not condoning it, but it's a possibility.

Edited by bumo27

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our brass caption heads that KNOWS what he is talking about said there is a reason for that.

The bugle is designed in such a way that the sound comes out directional.They cut into the crowd like a lazer beam,,where as a trumpet is designed to fill up a room in a indoor venue.The trumpet spreads it sound over a larger area where the bugle tends to focus its sound.

Up close during horn archs,,trumpets sound awesome,,but step away from them,,(like up in the stands) and they sound thin.

I agree.

I'm not a physics expert, but I've said the same thing a number of times on this board and elsewhere. The soprano is a larger horn than a trumpet, especially the Kanstul. In fact, I'm making a clunker C trumpet from a Bb trumpet and I'm putting a DEG sop bell on the thing so the horn will be darker because of the larger taper.

I really don't know how people figure that a soprano is tinnier (is that a word?)or thinner than a trumpet. Just compare a baritone to a euph. Isn't a euph darker sounding than a bari? Why is it darker? Because of the size of the horn and taper of the bell. One can also compare horns (as in real french horns). Take a Conn 8D which has been one of the largerst horns made for years. It has a .468 bore with what is called a large throat and a 12.25" bell. Compare this horn to just about any other: most horns have a much smaller bore, a medium throat and a 12" bell. The 8D is notoriously darker than almost all horns out there--so much so that some people don't like the 8D because of this fact. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

If that was so, then DCA wouldn't have a "best showmanship" award at Finals retreat. The style of individual performers in DCA is more accepted than in DCI, let's say - and in DCA, it's not only more accepted, it's rewarded.

The fact is, most of them are probably trying to get that award.

I'm not condoning it, but it's a possibility.

Except none of the hanging over sops got the showmanship award last year...... ^0^

then, who thinks DCA would reward this.

http://www.billandellie.com/sounds/TrumpetChristmas.mp3

If you had sops that could play like that,,they would kill everyone with thier scores. :)

Gotta love the tasty Bros.