An irrefutable statement regarding the woodwind debate

Wether the topic is "beaten to death" or not doesnt matter. It can be brought up as many times as "best OTL" is..those that dont want to engage in discussion dont have to click on the topic. Its not going to go away......

Quite frankly. There is a lot of noegatives about adding woodwinda. Membership increase, cost to feed them, transport them, uniforms...etc......

Woodwinds have a place, its not in drum and bugle corps.

~G~

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I ever get to meet ya I am buying you a beer :ph34r: (as long as you are over 21)

The argument is this: there are thousands of people who enjoy and pay money for either live or recorded performances of a marching ensemble of brass, percussion, and colorguard, and just that. Without discussing if woodwinds would or would not work in drum corps (which is completely irrelevant to this argument), if DCI decided to add woodwinds a fundamental aspect of drum corps, such an activity that so many people enjoy (one containing brass, percussion, and colorguard) would cease to exist.

Now don't get me wrong. I love all types of music, and I love woodwinds. I heard the recording of the Cadets playing Cadillac of the Skies with the USBBA, and it provided the most beautiful, lush, rich sound, one impossible for drum corps. I say, go ahead, start Marching Band International. But keep DCI the way it is...don't intentionally cause an activity to cease to exist and leave hundreds of thousands of people without an activity they've enjoyed for so many years.

Irrefutable, I agree, but wait till MikeD reads this. There *will* be refutation.

The man believes in his position. I doubt that anyone can argue, debate, cajole, or force him from it. I don't see anything wrong with that. I happen to feel just as strongly the other way. Mike and his friends aren't going to change my mind either.

What is irrefutable is that this is the most dead of horses and should be left that way. 90% of DCP respondents were recently against it. I'd suspect that the DCP audience tends to distort the numbers toward WWs due to age, corps affiliation vs band membership, etc. If drum corps is abolished in favor of bands, we'll either start another junior corps circuit, take up another hobby, or be long dead. :sshh:

The man believes in his position. I doubt that anyone can argue, debate, cajole, or force him from it. I don't see anything wrong with that. I happen to feel just as strongly the other way. Mike and his friends aren't going to change my mind either.

Mike argues like a gentleman, as I've acknowledged elsewhere on DCP. His logic lapses a bit here and there, and he's pretty dogmatic on the woodwind thing, but then, so am I.

What is irrefutable is that this is the most dead of horses and should be left that way. 90% of DCP respondents were recently against it. I'd suspect that the DCP audience tends to distort the numbers toward WWs due to age, corps affiliation vs band membership, etc. If drum corps is abolished in favor of bands, we'll either start another junior corps circuit, take up another hobby, or be long dead. :sshh:

Well, this being a drum corps forum it will attract a wide range of people interested in drum corps. I don't think there's a particular bias being supported by that. I'm pretty old, there are people young enough to be marching, there are vets, there are people that never set foot on the field, folks that have only done corps and a lot that come from a band background. I think it's pretty representative of the drum corps community as a whole, but I don't have any hard evidence for that. When 90% of that sampling says they don't like WW in drum corps, I think you can put it in the bank. I forget what percentage voted against amps but it was a high vote against, and I'd trust that too. Shame nobody listened.

Jim

Mike argues like a gentleman, as I've acknowledged elsewhere on DCP. His logic lapses a bit here and there, and he's pretty dogmatic on the woodwind thing, but then, so am I.

I think we're in agreement (and killing time until the Oswego scores are posted). I do enjoy Mike more as a former student of George Tuthill than as the Dark Prince of Clarinets. (hey, that reminds me of something George used to call Angelica).

The argument is this: there are thousands of people who enjoy and pay money for either live or recorded performances of a marching ensemble of brass, percussion, and colorguard, and just that. Without discussing if woodwinds would or would not work in drum corps (which is completely irrelevant to this argument), if DCI decided to add woodwinds a fundamental aspect of drum corps, such an activity that so many people enjoy (one containing brass, percussion, and colorguard) would cease to exist.

Well, it wouldn't because of organizations like DCA. But even if you were right, so what? You call this an "argument" but you're missing a premise and a conclusion if you want this to be an argument. So, so what?

Wether the topic is "beaten to death" or not doesnt matter. It can be brought up as many times as "best OTL" is..those that dont want to engage in discussion dont have to click on the topic. Its not going to go away......

Quite frankly. There is a lot of noegatives about adding woodwinda. Membership increase, cost to feed them, transport them, uniforms...etc......

Woodwinds have a place, its not in drum and bugle corps.

~G~

Apparently, this topic has not been beaten to death as each thread still provides pages and pages of posts.

Not sure if it's irrefutable but it's a good point. I'd like to see sales figures for DCI CD/DVD's as they compare to BOA and the other band circuits. Would a legacy BOA series be marketable? If people wanted to hear marching bands instead of drum corps, then sales figures should at least be comparable, right? I would expect that DCI merch is a much better seller, because it's drum corps. Does anybody have facts and figures? Is there really a large audience for marching bands? (aside from friends and family of the kids in the bands)