CAVALIERS!

Allow me to disagree, to an extent. Now, I've never personally been in front of a Cavalier that's about to perform, but I'm guessing he would be just as pumped and emotional as any other corps member. I can't imagine taking the field any other way.

My theory is that any perceived lack of emotion rests on the part of the audience member. I find the Cavaliers to be quite excellent at displaying emotion, but it's conveyed it a way that differs from what some drum corps fans expect. For some, as you pointed out, emotion equals overblowing. That's not meant as an insult, I'm just saying that some fans require power to feel emotionally connected. Those fans are going to find a few moments in every Cavaliers show that they enjoy, but it's easy to see why they wouldn't be able to stay connected. Every Cavaliers show finds many different ways to achieve an emotional release, so if you only give credit for one method, no wonder you're going to feel left out.

I agree. I definitely think the Cavaliers come out with plenty of emotion. Take last year for example. If that wasn't emotion (especially the end,) I don't know what is. I found more emotion in their show than, say, the Cadets. But its just because of the show design. Each show will display it in various ways. To each his own.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's the point everyone was trying to make to YOU.

When I started reading this thread today, you were the one saying how the Cavaliers show this year reminds you of past years.. and you cited specific examples of chords.. or melodic lines.. even drill sets and you are the one who labeled them "boring" (maybe not in so many words.. but this has all been in response to you).

Other people came in and drew similarities to what Devs have done over the years that could also be considered "signature.." not unlike what Cavaliers do with drill sets (or what Myron Rosander does with drill sets).. or melodic lines.. or motifs.. or even (gasp) rhythms.

Have I missed anything? Can you clear up for me why when BD does it, it's a signature but when Cavaliers or anyone else does it, it's just a cheap trick?

Or are you fighting a battle from another thread on this site here?

Thanks!

Stef

no.. when BD does it, its NOT a signature in everyone's mind.. its just Something they have done too much... and nobody likes that they do it... and there have been many people that were like.. OMG they're doing the DRUM RACK THING AGAIN.. put it to REST!!

and you know its true.

And as I said, See Also; Mozart. He CONSTANTLY re-used melodies and motifs -- in the same key.. in different keys.. with different voicings.. expanded and contracted.. he found something that sat well in his ear and he played with it.

I guess that makes him a snore? Maybe to some.. not to me. I think it's kind of cool to be listening to a piano concerto and hear a motif I recognize from one of his operas. It's like a game of hide and seek. It's also a good way to personalize your music so that people who hear a lot of it will connect to it more readily. It's like knowing the inside joke.

Stef

I'll just toss another out there..

See also: Beethoven

no.. when BD does it, its NOT a signature in everyone's mind.. its just Something they have done too much... and nobody likes that they do it... and there have been many people that were like.. OMG they're doing the DRUM RACK THING AGAIN.. put it to REST!!

and you know its true.

And you hate hearing that about one of your favorite corps, don't you? Remember that feeling, then remember that your very first posts on DCP were to slam the Cavaliers in much the same way. If you don't like hearing it about the corps you love, do you really think anyone else is going to like hearing it about the corps that they love?

I sure fel a lot of emotion in the 2000 Niagra falls show. Ditto for the Four corners show, two of my favorite shows of all time, since starting in 1979.

2002, I didnt care for, only because BD came so far in such a short period of time, I used all my energy loving them, 2004 Cavaliers ?? chock full of emotion.

I dont get this " no emotion" thing regarding Cavaliers.

~G~

w/Stp:

I've heard plenty emotion every year since 2000

And you hate hearing that about one of your favorite corps, don't you? Remember that feeling, then remember that your very first posts on DCP were to slam the Cavaliers in much the same way. If you don't like hearing it about the corps you love, do you really think anyone else is going to like hearing it about the corps that they love?

because i tired of it. and i'm letting you guys hear about it

So you're admitting you are a hypocrite. Thanks. It saves us the trouble of pointing it out further.

i could care less if you think that.. and i'm sure you're just PERFECT...

i'm tired of just SEEING everyones comments when i don't agree with them, and I'm now out of hiding and letting you guys see what I THINK about the matter.

i'm not tired of everyone stating their opinions..

what would become of dcp if people didn't state opinions??

thats why its a message board, a forum, a discussion