CAVALIERS!

I believe the main reason people have issues with the Cavaliers is the lack of emotion that seems to come from them.

Other corps, (Madison, Phantom, BD, SCV etc) get that thing...emotion...going in their shows that naturally excites the crowd through their music along with their visual.

The cavaliers have the unique ability to get that same response simply from their visual program alone. I have never seen anything like it. But their hornline plays a "safe" show. They (for the most part) are able to cut the emotion. This has its advantages and disadvantages.

Without this, the members are able to concentrate on their playing technique, dynamics, and whatnot more. This cuts out mindless overblowing that gives them their high brass scores annually. However, this gets to some people and this is what (IN MY OPINION) creates the great Cavalier controversy.

Take your sides. Agree to disagree. And for once, sit back and enjoy ALL the shows.

I couldn't disagree more. Go watch Cavaliers in 1991 (especially the big flag toss over the hornline at the end), 1995, 1998 (machine), 1999 (ballad), 2001 (percussion feature), 2002 (percussion feature, especially and recap at the end), 2003 (ballad and percussion feature), 2004 (whole show), 2005 (closer) and tell me you don't see any emotion on the field...especially 2004's "007" show....they were wailing and letting loose at the end of the third number....anyway, you can find emotion in any year. The Cavaliers just have a great "controlled" sound, and I don't think this translates to "lack of emotion" at all. They have no problems expressing themselves...Just my two cents...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick Lunn, not Lund.

Also, they are referring to the bootleg video of Toledo, not the "Building the Machine" series of videos.

Excuse me for the misspelling of Rick's name. Typo. Oh, I guess I need to read the posts more closely, was sure they were talking about the machine. Thanks for correcting me on this. I will be more careful next time.