CAVALIERS!

Hello? Are you kidding? This is a standard feature of nearly EVERY drum corps ballad (except Star's little interludes, but those serve a different purpose)...a well written drum corps ballad will have a climactic chord toward the end, it's as simple as that.

So I assume you don't like the ballads in Cadets '85, '89, '91, '92, '93, '95, '97, '98, '99, '01, or '05, or SCV's ballads in '92, '99 , '00, '03, or '04...the list goes on...each of those balalds have that SAME EXACT FEATURE.

Thanks... not to get into the fray on this one, but I REALLY wanted to point out that I have oft-considered the fermataed acapella chord with the cutoff that rings into the night as a HALLMARK of Cadets Ballads. Other corps do them, but I have always LOVED the Cadets versions.

Now back to your regularly (sigh) scheduled #####-fest...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks... not to get into the fray on this one, but I REALLY wanted to point out that I have oft-considered the fermataed acapella chord with the cutoff that rings into the night as a HALLMARK of Cadets Ballads. Other corps do them, but I have always LOVED the Cadets versions.

Now back to your regularly (sigh) scheduled #####-fest...

my point is, you guys call all that stuff "trademarks" or signatures of cavies and cadets..

well why can't the drum rack or "rhythm" be a signature of BD?? but no.. they are called BORING.. and not innovative for using it...

thats my point.

my point is, you guys call all that stuff "trademarks" or signatures of cavies and cadets..

well why can't the drum rack or "rhythm" be a signature of BD?? but no.. they are called BORING.. and not innovative for using it...

I think that's the point everyone was trying to make to YOU.

When I started reading this thread today, you were the one saying how the Cavaliers show this year reminds you of past years.. and you cited specific examples of chords.. or melodic lines.. even drill sets and you are the one who labeled them "boring" (maybe not in so many words.. but this has all been in response to you).

Other people came in and drew similarities to what Devs have done over the years that could also be considered "signature.." not unlike what Cavaliers do with drill sets (or what Myron Rosander does with drill sets).. or melodic lines.. or motifs.. or even (gasp) rhythms.

Have I missed anything? Can you clear up for me why when BD does it, it's a signature but when Cavaliers or anyone else does it, it's just a cheap trick?

Or are you fighting a battle from another thread on this site here?

Thanks!

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

thats my point.

People on here DO call the drum rack or "rhythm" a signature of BD!

I believe the main reason people have issues with the Cavaliers is the lack of emotion that seems to come from them.

Other corps, (Madison, Phantom, BD, SCV etc) get that thing...emotion...going in their shows that naturally excites the crowd through their music along with their visual.

The cavaliers have the unique ability to get that same response simply from their visual program alone. I have never seen anything like it. But their hornline plays a "safe" show. They (for the most part) are able to cut the emotion. This has its advantages and disadvantages.

Without this, the members are able to concentrate on their playing technique, dynamics, and whatnot more. This cuts out mindless overblowing that gives them their high brass scores annually. However, this gets to some people and this is what (IN MY OPINION) creates the great Cavalier controversy.

Take your sides. Agree to disagree. And for once, sit back and enjoy ALL the shows.

I believe the main reason people have issues with the Cavaliers is the lack of emotion that seems to come from them.

Other corps, (Madison, Phantom, BD, SCV etc) get that thing...emotion...going in their shows that naturally excites the crowd through their music along with their visual.

The cavaliers have the unique ability to get that same response simply from their visual program alone. I have never seen anything like it. But their hornline plays a "safe" show. They (for the most part) are able to cut the emotion. This has its advantages and disadvantages.

Without this, the members are able to concentrate on their playing technique, dynamics, and whatnot more. This cuts out mindless overblowing that gives them their high brass scores annually. However, this gets to some people and this is what (IN MY OPINION) creates the great Cavalier controversy.

Take your sides. Agree to disagree. And for once, sit back and enjoy ALL the shows.

I think you're right. Whenever we talk about the Cavaliers we hear about how boring their music is. The fact is, it's just different. It illicits a different kind of crowd response than other shows do. Does that make it less awesome? Some people think so. But I do not. I for one don't want to have very show I see do the same kinds of things and play on the same emotions over and over. Shows that make you stand up and scream at the end can be grat fun. And when I see Madison or BD, that's what happens. But do I want that to be the same for EVERY show? Not in the least. I like it when a corps can have me just frozen with my eyes wide and mouth agape for 11 minutes. I like it when a show can illicit ABSOLTE SILENCE from a crowd, because they are too mesmorized by what is going on.

I think there are a lot of people who think that if is show isn't an in-your-face, happy, smiling, raucous jam-fest that makes the crowd throw babies, it's a worthless show. And I think those people are missing out on a lot of good music and ood shows.

I've often said that the Cavaliers are victims of their own success. They make everything look and sound so effortless that what they do can be percieved as being rather easy or, as someone just pointed out, lacking in emotion. I also think they've chosen to take a more controlled, refined approach to programming/performing rather than the more aggressive, in-your-face style that many people seem to appreciate.

As I watched the show last night I couldn't help but think that the Cavaliers do what they do better than anyone -- the show is seamless from beginning to end -- but, for me it comes across as rather sterile.

Allow me to disagree, to an extent. Now, I've never personally been in front of a Cavalier that's about to perform, but I'm guessing he would be just as pumped and emotional as any other corps member. I can't imagine taking the field any other way.

My theory is that any perceived lack of emotion rests on the part of the audience member. I find the Cavaliers to be quite excellent at displaying emotion, but it's conveyed it a way that differs from what some drum corps fans expect. For some, as you pointed out, emotion equals overblowing. That's not meant as an insult, I'm just saying that some fans require power to feel emotionally connected. Those fans are going to find a few moments in every Cavaliers show that they enjoy, but it's easy to see why they wouldn't be able to stay connected. Every Cavaliers show finds many different ways to achieve an emotional release, so if you only give credit for one method, no wonder you're going to feel left out.

I sure fel a lot of emotion in the 2000 Niagra falls show. Ditto for the Four corners show, two of my favorite shows of all time, since starting in 1979.

2002, I didnt care for, only because BD came so far in such a short period of time, I used all my energy loving them, 2004 Cavaliers ?? chock full of emotion.

I dont get this " no emotion" thing regarding Cavaliers.

~G~

I have oft-considered the fermataed acapella chord with the cutoff that rings into the night â„¢ as a HALLMARK of Cadets Ballads.

I don't think you meant "A Cappella" :P