CAVALIERS!

1. :feednotroll:

2. We can support the Cavaliers without having to attack a great corps like the Blue Devils in return. Both groups put out great shows year in and year out.

THANK YOU!!! I feel like ####### a dog backed up against a wall, and i have to lash out.

I don't really like any corps..

you know what i do like?

HAMBURGERS!!! big juicy HAMBURGERS

the Troopers remind me of HAMBURGERS!!!

(+)(+) :-)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its funny how if someone gives their OPINION about how they dont like YOUR corps.. you jump all over them.

and yes, my signature applies to you.

My corps?? what exactly is my corps??

well since you know what my corps is then thats great.. i guess..

I'm jumping all over them because they don't know what they're talking about, and i do know what i'm talking about

I'm George Hopkins.

Edited by kingdarkstar

Hey Jayzer, two things:

1. :feednotroll:

2. We can support the Cavaliers without having to attack a great corps like the Blue Devils in return. Both groups put out great shows year in and year out.

I don't believe I was attacking them. Did they not use the drum rack two years in a row? Did we not get that same rhythm three years in a row? You know which one I'm talking about.

To me, that argument is as valid as the one saying that they are re-using the theme from spin cycle. I did not say what I said with malicious intent. I was just imitating his erratic posting style.

edit: and to contribute to the thread...

It's not quite what I was expecting, but I'm digging what they have so far. It's quite obviously (or at least I hope it is, hah) a skeleton and only a preview of what the show will eventually be. As soon they add more details, get clean, and add the real ending, I think it's going to be another special show.

That said, I found the pacing of in the last 1/4 of the show to be a little off, and I hope it changes a bit over the course of the season.

I'm impressed with the hornline and have a feeling they will challenge for the Ott trophy yet again.

Edited by Jayzer

Out of curiosity, those of you who have already formed a 'strong' opinion of the show (either "I love it" or "I don't like it/it's the same old same old"), are you basing your thoughts based on a home made video viewed on line and/or the DCI web recording, or are you basing it off of seeing the show live and in person?

My 'strong' opinion of the show = "LOVE IT"

Based on having seen it live and heard it developing over the off-season.

(and based on descriptions I've read and had given to me directly, I've also got strong opinions about some shows I haven't seen yet.. all positive.. or opinions of anticipation.. Glassmen, for instance. I can't WAIT to see them)

I also think it's interesting to note the attempt to draw a difference between what is a corps' "signature" or "identity" and what is just "boring" or a rehash of the same sounds and/or rhythms.

Granted, I recognize that just because it's repeated or considered part of a corps "identity," not everyone must like it.. but can we all agree that when a corps (or a composer.. or a performer) does the same thing.. in a different setting.. even if it's the "exact same chord" -- which, okay, I guess you must have scores to confirm this -- it's part of the "signature?" See also, Mozart. You don't have to like it, but when people hear it or see it and they immediately identify it as affiliated with or like someone or something, that means it is part of their "signature" or part of their "identity."

Box Drills, Wedge, Kick Wedge, Sunburst, box-folding-on-box.. these are all visual "signatures" of different corps (BD/Cavaliers, Kilties, Phantom Regiment, Troopers, SCV) that were used and re-used over the years.. and each time got a great reaction from crowds.

Revisiting melodic lines or motifs in different years is nothing new -- nor is it bad or wrong.. but I recognize not everybody likes it.

Okay.. so that cool tag the Madison Scouts used back in the 80s... and then resurrected in the 90s (note for note, it sounds like) at the end of one of their shows based on that Broadway play (can't think of it.. it'll come to me at some point).. I'm sure there were people that loved it.. and people who thought, "YAWN" -- we just didn't have DCP to beat each other over the heads with our opinions back then.

And as I said, See Also; Mozart. He CONSTANTLY re-used melodies and motifs -- in the same key.. in different keys.. with different voicings.. expanded and contracted.. he found something that sat well in his ear and he played with it.

I guess that makes him a snore? Maybe to some.. not to me. I think it's kind of cool to be listening to a piano concerto and hear a motif I recognize from one of his operas. It's like a game of hide and seek. It's also a good way to personalize your music so that people who hear a lot of it will connect to it more readily. It's like knowing the inside joke.

And for the record, Hrothgar, you've knocked me out of my chair with this one. :)

Stef

I don't believe I was attacking them. Did they not use the drum rack two years in a row? Did we not get that same rhythm three years in a row? You know which one I'm talking about.

To me, that argument is as valid as the one saying that they are re-using the theme from spin cycle. I did not say what I said with malicious intent. I was just imitating his erratic posting style.

edit: and to contribute to the thread...

It's not quite what I was expecting, but I'm digging what they have so far. It's quite obviously (or at least I hope it is, hah) a skeleton and only a preview of what the show will eventually be. As soon they add more details, get clean, and add the real ending, I think it's going to be another special show.

That said, I found the pacing of in the last 1/4 of the show to be a little off, and I hope it changes a bit over the course of the season.

I'm impressed with the hornline and have a feeling they will challenge for the Ott trophy yet again.

I DONT LIKE MUSTARD ON MY HAMBURGER!!!!

It's not THAT.. It's that the ballad has that loud chord they cut off on.. just like in 04 and 02 and alot of years, and reusing the theme from spin cycle and the drill just looks the same to me..

It's not about their identity... it just sounds like you could put 01, 02, 03, and 06 together and make one big show, and it would be called " WE LIKE BOXES!!"

thats just my feeling..

FUnny, as a BD fan I get told that same thing every year....its far from true for BD and even further from the truth for the Cavaliers. Curious, do you own any vidoe of their shows ?? Have you seen any of them live ? In their entirety ?? Nothing but boxes ???? If anything, I would say since 2000 NOBODY even comes close to creating visual effect as the Cavaliers do....NOBODY.....at least be accurate in your sophmoric jabs at groundbreaking corps on the forefron of inovation right now.

~G~

FUnny, as a BD fan I get told that same thing every year....its far from true for BD and even further from the truth for the Cavaliers.

This is what I was trying to imply before.

Thanks, G.

Yeah, I know the one you're talking about. B)

I apologize if you weren't intending to take a swipe at Blue Devils. The argumentive nature of this entire thread probably cast your words in a different light. (that, and I hadn't yet read the Modesto thread, so I didn't realize that we're dealing with a BD borg).

It's not THAT.. It's that the ballad has that loud chord they cut off on.. just like in 04 and 02 and alot of years

thats just my feeling..

Hello? Are you kidding? This is a standard feature of nearly EVERY drum corps ballad (except Star's little interludes, but those serve a different purpose)...a well written drum corps ballad will have a climactic chord toward the end, it's as simple as that.

So I assume you don't like the ballads in Cadets '85, '89, '91, '92, '93, '95, '97, '98, '99, '01, or '05, or SCV's ballads in '92, '99 , '00, '03, or '04...the list goes on...each of those balalds have that SAME EXACT FEATURE.