Moving the Community Forums to the Top

Kamarag

Greetings!

Is there any particular reason the DCP Community Forums were moved to the top, above the DCI and DCA Forums?

I can understand the need to help the influx of new DCP members, with the New Member section in the Community Forums now at the top, but it adds unnecessary scrolling for 99% of the users who want to go directly to the corps discussion areas.

Anyway, this is a minor quibble. The reast of the site has never looked better.

Thanks,

Greetings!

Is there any particular reason the DCP Community Forums were moved to the top, above the DCI and DCA Forums?

I can understand the need to help the influx of new DCP members, with the New Member section in the Community Forums now at the top, but it adds unnecessary scrolling for 99% of the users who want to go directly to the corps discussion areas.

Anyway, this is a minor quibble. The reast of the site has never looked better.

Thanks,

John,

Thank you for your kind comments and question.

Yes, after hearing from a number of users that they were simply not aware of our other forums - we decided to move the Community Forums to the top of the page, in the hopes of providing greater visibility to some of these important areas of the Forums.

Our new Volunteer Exchange can play a significant role in helping corps get thru these difficult summer months of touring by providing them a place let their particular needs be known to our community. We'll also be seeing a large influx of new members throughout the summer .... and we want to make sure that they have an opportunity to introduce themselves to the community and be properly welcomed by our members.

I have NO questions that our members and visitors will be able to find the DCI and DCA forums .... and believe the slight inconvenience of having to scroll a few lines down for those forums is not that burdensome. However, if it is ... you can always click on the 'minimize' icon on the upper right corner of any forum category, and the entire section will be reduced to a single line.

Please take a moment to consider the value to the community these forums provide ... and the benefit the bit of additional exposure provides. I hope you and others can see that .... and support our format change.

Thank you again for your comments .... and support of the Drum Corps Planet community.

Best regards,

-john

P.S. Three words ..... "SCROLL WHEEL MOUSE" I don't believe I could navigate the internet without one. I'm completely lost when I have to use the touch-pad on my notebook computer - so much so that I keep an external mouse (with scroll-wheel) in my computer bag to use while on-the-road.

However, if it is ... you can always click on the 'minimize' icon on the upper right corner of any forum category, and the entire section will be reduced to a single line.

That does a nice job of solving the problem.

Thanks!

P.S. Three words ..... "SCROLL WHEEL MOUSE" I don't believe I could navigate the internet without one. I'm completely lost when I have to use the touch-pad on my notebook computer - so much so that I keep an external mouse (with scroll-wheel) in my computer bag to use while on-the-road.

Ditto on the mouse, and ditto on carrying a mouse w/my laptop. :rock:

'tis amazing how used to stuff we get isn't it? hehe

However, if it is ... you can always click on the 'minimize' icon on the upper right corner of any forum category, and the entire section will be reduced to a single line.

I've been a member of DCP since 2002 and I had no idea that functionality existed.

It was added with IPB version 2.1 last fall, if I remember right - it's a recent development.

Mike

Bingo, Mike. :)

I've been a member of DCP since 2002 and I had no idea that functionality existed.

I discovered one night many moons ago

Quite handy :)

I keep closed the forums that I couldn't care less about

When they changed forum software, some of the new features caught me off-guard.

It used to be that to edit a topic title or description or to close a topic, I had to go into the topic, then select the action from a drop-down box. Now I can do that stuff inline from the forum index...

I think I accidentally closed a couple topics and changed a title or two (all fixed of course) before I realized what was going on...