Phantom horn switch

A little off topic here, but as a young brass player I'm curious. Would playing a trombone have the same beneficial effect as playing a baritone on your chops? I know they're essentially the same instrument, but I won't be SURE untill I'm reassured. My director always wanted me to play Trombone for her in Jazz band...

The two instruments have different amounts of backpressure... I don't know if it'll help, it might help you hear the pitches better playing on trombone and you'll be more in tune on the baritone..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, obviously you enjoy stirring the pot here... just go easy man. If you want to post, fine. But there's really no reason to be immature.

And try using some capitalization once in a while to start a sentence. Oh, and an ellipsis (...) has three periods, not two. Just had to point that out... pet peeve I guess.

sorry... i usually get three dots in there...

and i don't like capitalizing stuff when i don't have to...

Would playing a trombone have the same beneficial effect as playing a baritone on your chops?

It would, especially if it's a bass trombone. Trombone is slightly different, as there are fewer bends and less resistence, in general. But then again, you're physically moving a large portion of the horn (the slide) around a lot, which gives you a little jaring of the chop. Especially if the slide is less than perfect. And there's pressure differences depending on the slide movement, which makes the baritone and euph a little easier to play accurately.

Having played many, it's not ruining your chops. But they are separate chops, you have to practice both to maintain a level of proficiency on both. Although somethings carry over like air. Going from small to big has issues with tone quality until you're used to it. Going big to small gives you great tone quality on the small horn. I get a pretty glorious soprano sound after I play contra for a half hour or so.

You have to condition yourself for multiple horns. You don't necessarilly lose your chop if you play on just one for a while. But when you make the switch it's not as comfortable or natural. You don't really have to give all of them equal time, but you're better off if you touch all of them for at least five minutes every day.

i was just CURIOUS. not being NEGATIVE.. get off my case man..

your name says it all skaJERK!

Yep, that's what I like about you. The epitome of class and maturity. Boy, I'd sure like to know how long you'd last over in the Current Event Forums.

And so you know, Ska Jerk is a Bob Marley tune.

Edited by skajerk

They play Baris not Euphs.

It's much easier for a trumpet or horn player to go to bigger mouthpiece and horn then the other way.

It takes good training (which they get at Phantom) and some getting use to, and I won't say it's easy, but it's not as difficult as it may seem.

Remember in bands and orchestras many players switch sizes of instruments all the time:

flute/piccolo

oboe/English horn

bassoon/contra bassoon

trumpet/piccolo trumpet

etc.

So true. I played bari for 2 years with Colts then tried switching to contra for '04 (for a week, lol) and played it as well as, if not better than the entire contraline. I was amazed how HIGH I could get in the register, but the low notes were a chore for me. I'd say it helps the high embochure on a lower instrument, def.

Edited by dciguy01

just got back from watching 10 hours of phantom practice here in memphis-- good times... they worked on some new drill for the percussion feature that looks really nice... it was funny because on this topic- the trumpets have to lug around baris all day! and they warm up and tune with some too-- they sounded great- i think if i'm not mistaken- they only play the first 3/4 of the b ballad and it finishes with everyone back on their real instruments-- everything sounded great and really loud and the percussion is smoking- staging only has them down front a little (for the drum solo) and they are moving around in the backfield a lot- but i'm sure they'll work that out-- i'm not sure if i like the show better than 2005-- i mean i think the music is more my STYLE, but in terms of the visual and actual performace things, i'm not sure which was better-- since i didnt see phantom at this time last year- i'll just withhold my opinion

They should play baris the whole show:) And get the mellows in on that action too. Nothing sounds better than an all low brass choir.