How did you start playing with a DCA Corps

Ahhh, the good ol'days at Wildwood... :blink:

I remember the weekend (a little b**bs) I didn't know that's how you got "hooked" :blink:

Tony B)

That very same weekend in 1979, the security guy from the Eden Roc hotel came out to "talk" to all of us hanging around in front of the hotel, watching the parade:

"Okay.... I can take the drinkin'... and I can take the yellin.' BUT THE G**D*** URINATIN' HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!"

Fran

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That very same weekend in 1979, the security guy from the Eden Roc hotel came out to "talk" to all of us hanging around in front of the hotel, watching the parade:

"Okay.... I can take the drinkin'... and I can take the yellin.' BUT THE G**D*** URINATIN' HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!"

Fran

Those girls in the guard were wild! ^0^

I concluded my junior corps career in 1972 with the St. Ritas Brassmen who were instructed by Carman Cluna, Hy Dreitzer and Eric Perrilouix all at that time past or present NY Skyliner instructors. I went down to a rehearsal in the winter of 1972 just to hang out and say hello to some people I knew in Sky. Somehow I ended up with a drum on playing for Wes Meyers ("The Boss"). Everyone in the snareline bought me a beer that day and that short hangout became a 12 year tour.

Let's see... I'm like Jeff... Born into the activity. Guess that happens when our dads are good friends (you should see Jeff's dad in the tux for my parents wedding!)

My dad was a Westshore guy... my mom marched with the Emmaus Sentinels. They both taught rival HS bands. The rest is history...

I started marching colorguard in 1986 (I was 5) and I marched my first Corps at 13 in 1994 with Bucs.

My story on how I joined is really rather simple. And rather recent.

My wife and I are friends with a couple that just recently got married. The groom was the guy that set up my bachelor party, so the least I could do was go to his bachelor party. Yeah, he had to really twist my arm.

Anywho... While there I start talking to Darius, an old friend of the bride from college, that I'd met at other parties before. He then mentions that he's a tech for a drum corps.

Well, my ears perk up at this because it has been about 10 years since I'd seriously played a tuba and 15 since I'd marched a sousaphone. But, I'd always wanted to be in a drum and bugle corps. We'd watch the DCI broadcasts on PBS every year and marvel at how good they all were.

Well, he mentions that they have a few holes in their line and before I know it it's the next Saturday and I've got a baritone in my hand and trying REALLY hard to make heads or tails of the drill charts and treble clef.

Then we had a drop in our full contra line and I moved over to contra... They knew this was more of my comfort zone. This WOULD, however, be a three day rehearsal weekend... In TEXAS... It was definitely a trial by Fire... 27 hours of rehearsal later and I had my first performance as a member of Frontier's 2006 contra line.

Three notes...

Al

De

Croce...................... ^0^

How did you start playing with a DCA Corps?

I thought that I was joining a street gang.

I was misinformed.

Edited by Periphery

My story is a bit different, because regretfully, I never marched either DCI or DCA. I came from a high school with a pretty competitive marching band field show program, playing percussion. In college a fellow drummer invited me down to play with the Colts during a recruiting/rehearsal camp. It was awesome, and they offered me a spot in the drumline. As another poster said, I couldn't bring myself to give up the summer and my college life, so I didn't join. One of my few regrets.

I really want to get involved in a senior corps for 2007. Discovering DCP has really ignited my passion for playing again. If anyone from Minnesota Brass, Inc. or Chops, Inc. reads this, send me a PM. I want to find out how difficult it is to join, dues, commitment, etc. I have pretty much read everything on both of their websites.

I would like to hear more stories, or advice on joining a senior corps, so BUMP!

:P

Marching with the Renegades in 2002 and magically (poof) securing our first finalist position in our history, in essence BECOMING a DCA corps overnight LOL