How did you start playing with a DCA Corps

First off, I haven't posted on DCP in almost a year and haven't really posted anything on consistent basis in 2, so it's good to be back.

I recently had a really funny thing happen with how I became involved with the Bushwackers and wanted to see if there is anyone else out there with a funny story like mine, or just see how everyone hear decided to keep drum corps in their lives past the ripe old age of 21.

So here is my story (I'm really sorry, its long):

I just graduated college and while I'm looking for a full time music teaching job in the NJ area, I've reduced myself to working at a local movie theater just 2 towns away. I've been going to this theater for awhile, and was always wondering what group was practicing nearby during the summer. I thought maybe it was just Ridgefield Park's marching band drum section just doing some basics. Anyway...

I get to work on Saturday and hear the drums practicing. I figure one of these days I'll walk over and see whats up. I did notice however that they looked much to big to be high schoolers but didn't think anything else of it. So while I'm working the concession stand, I see a middle age man come up to me asking to buy and Icee or a water with a shirt that says "I'm with the Bushwackers." So I asked him if that was the group that was out there and he told me that it was. Later on, I start getting a lot of people coming in asking for either Icee's, water or anything else that was cold or something to drink. Since I could easily pick out that they were drum corps folk, I told them I marched Crossmen 2002 - 2003, and had some quick small talk, all of which they kept telling me I should join. Telling them that I had less then $2 in my account and was only my 3rd day, I couldn't very well leave a job that is going to make me work every weekend.

Throughout the day, they came and went, and I prolly told about 10 people I marched. BIG MISTAKE. Around 6 or 7, a huge amount of them start coming and I didn't have a line, so they all came to me. I thought it was their dinner break and wanted to get something from their friendly drum corps concession worker. Boy was I wrong.

All 30 or so people were there to convince me to join, including the brass caption head and other staff people. I had a discussion with them and told them that I would love to, but I'm flat broke and this job isn't going to let me off weekends. I got there number and they got mine and they all left, most of them coming up to me personally and introducing themselves before they left. One member later on even stood in a long line just to say hello to me, then walked off.

So the next day, I arrive a little early, walk over to the rehearsal but nothing really is going on so I start walking back. Then I hear my name being called and saw the Asst. DM running over and we had a very friendly talk while I headed to work, mostly telling her that I would love to if I had the money. I get to the door and a man comes out (I could tell he was a drum corps guy because his visor was considerably faded) telling me that my manager wants to see me and that he and the Asst. Director were just in a meeting with them. I started freaking out, thinking that the job I just started thinks I want to quit now.

I go see my manager, and low and behold, the Asst. Director is standing there waiting for me and told me that the corps and the theater have been able to come to an arrangement allowing me to work during the week and be in the drum corps, and that they will work out the $ with me, as long as I want to do it. For the theater's benefit, the corps will play the theme to Superman inside the theater for the opening weekend.

So, this is why I'm now going to be a Bushwacker in 2006, after telling myself for 3 years that I'm never going to do senior corps. This whole story is why I'm saying that I've been kidnapped by the Bushwackers. I'm really sorry for the length, but I thought the community would like this story, and I hope to hear your stories.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story Kyle.

I had been trying to join the CorpsVets for four years, Hurricane Katrina so graciously took out my apartment in New Orleans, and a good friend invited me to stay with him as long as need be and to move to Atlanta and join the CorpsVets.

I'm still here, and I've never been happier.

birth. Dad marched with Westshore and the Yankee Rebels. I grew up on DCA, and didnt really start following DCI corps until i was 11

All 30 or so people were there to convince me to join, including the brass caption head and other staff people.

I go see my manager, and low and behold, the Asst. Director is standing there waiting for me and told me that the corps and the theater have been able to come to an arrangement allowing me to work during the week and be in the drum corps, and that they will work out the $ with me, as long as I want to do it. For the theater's benefit, the corps will play the theme to Superman inside the theater for the opening weekend.

So, this is why I'm now going to be a Bushwacker in 2006, after telling myself for 3 years that I'm never going to do senior corps. This whole story is why I'm saying that I've been kidnapped by the Bushwackers. I'm really sorry for the length, but I thought the community would like this story, and I hope to hear your stories.

Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing. Gotta love drum corps!

Well do I dare say that back in 1984 one year after the Empire Statesmen came out on to the circut, that David, and Vince Bruni taught my highschool marching band?!?! I was hooked, but my parent thought I was too young. Then in 1991, Vince and David once again saw me at my new highschool, I was a senior then, and they asked me to march. I agreed, and was with Empire Till this year. I have 5 Ring with David. He and I are the only two in the Corps that we know od that have all 5. Ita was an honor, and a great privlage marching for Mr. 'B'.

This year I was asked to go some where and be a drum major. SOmething that I always wanted to try my hand at. After watching one of the best drum majors on the senior circut, listening to everything he said, knowing him like a brother, and admiring him for all these years. I wanted to be like David. When people ask me of Drum majors in DCA I say Butch, Jimmy R., and David. Some of the best performing DM's to date. I just hope I can carry on some of what David and his father have taught me, so I can be the best DM I can be.

The White Sabers D&B corps is my home now. I am Loveing evry minute of it there. The show is fantastic. The staff is fabulous. The marching members.......what can I say. I acctualy get tearry eyed thinking of them. We have one of the best groups I feel. We have an entire family marching. We have a father and his three boys marching. It is such a joy to see them having fun together, spending time together as a family and doing what they love.....TOGETHER! This, and only this is why I have done senior corps, and never junior corps. Because of the families. This type of sport where the entire family comes together, and at the end of the season eiother get a gold or dont, dosent matter. They had fun, spent time together, work for a common goal, and bonded in a way that most of america cant!!!

So to all you marching members, doesnt matter what corps you are affiliated with, we are all family, we all share this special thing called DRUM CORPS!! NOW GO PRACTICE, YOU GOT A SHOW COMMING UP!!!! haha

Mike

What do we do now boys???

Well Kyle, I'll give it a go...

Winter of 1973, the Renegades (RCA) were folding and a few of my Renegades friends had decided to go the Shelton, CT to check out the Hurcs....they need someone to drive :)

(I only marched one year with the Hurcs because Donna, my wife, wanted to march again too. Hurcs were all male in 1974)

A few DC friends, Tom Hart and some of us from Poughkeepsie, NY wanted to start a DC from there but it never materialized. (Tom I marched together in the Hurcs before he came to the Sunrisers) The name we wanted for that Sr. Corps from the Poughkeepsie area in 1974 was going to be "The Empire State Lawmen"

Mike DeLorenzo Sr. came up to Poughkeepsie and talked to about 16-20 of us about marching in the Sunrisers....in 1975, 10 of us did. (the rest, as they say, is history)

(memories of winter rehearsals, Floyd Bennett field, Brooklyn, NY, 40+ MPH winds.... :worthy:)

Tony B)

My story is short and sweet:

Born into the Caballero Orgainzation.

Had my 1st Caballero uniform at age 5.

Did Jr corps for 2 years

My 1st year in cabs was 1979 - 2002

Did Cabs Alumni in 2005

Now a member of the Cabs Mini corps

Hey Kyle, that's one of the best recruitment stories I've ever heard, if not THE best.

You will love your new corps very much - they are a fantastic organization, and a wonderful family to boot.

My story is a bit different than yours.

It was the summer of 1993 and I was in the Monsignor Farrell High School marching band playing lead mellophone. Some of my instructors included Rose Cataneo, and in earlier years, Tony Cataneo, both of Sunrisers fame, and Andrew Monteleone, one of the guys in Sunrisers' pit back in the 90's. If you ever see the videos, Andrew is the 6 foot 8, 350 pound mallet player. :P I had seen my first drum corps show that summer at Giants Stadium, and I fell in love with the activity right there and then. How could you NOT after witnessing the uttlerly amazing Cadets of Begen County marching their 1993 show?!? I still love that show. ANYWAY...

So I talk to Rose and Andrew, and I get information on how to join the Cadets. Thanksgiving weekend comes, and I get my butt up to Teterboro, NJ to audition for the Cadets mello line for the 1994 season. What an amazing weekend I had...I learned so much. I also learned how much I really sucked as a brass player. My high school music program wasn't very good, and I thought I was so great because I was section leader of my H.S. band...not so much. Anyway, I made it through a couple of camps, and finally got cut in December. Thank you Frank Williams and Larry Marckiewicz. :P

After getting cut, I spoke to Rose and Andrew again, and they said that I should check out the Sunrisers the very next weekend. I did so, and made the mello line at Sun. 13 seasons later, and here I am....I've been a Sunriser, a Caballero, a Bridgemen, and a Bushwacker. I met my wife in the Sunrisers. I've made tons of friends over the years. I've had the best summers of my life with these corps. I've traveled the country. I've made thousands of people cheer for me.

Senior Corps is so different than what you experienced at Crossmen, yet the same in many ways. I know that you're going to love what we do here in DCA. It's a blast, it's a non stop party, but it's also VERY hard work, dedication, blood, sweat, and tears, but you're used to all that.

Welcome.

birth. Dad marched with Westshore and the Yankee Rebels. I grew up on DCA, and didnt really start following DCI corps until i was 11

w/Stp:

and being givin drum sticks by jomba so i would shutup

1990 I went to an indoor show at Kenmore East HS in NY. I was being courted by friends in Statesmen and later by friends in Crusaders. Cru won and I played that evening in line and I was hooked. It was tough as my wife at the time went to basic training and I had to find someone to watch my son but the corps helped out a bit by taking him some weekends when I needed a sitter.