Santa Clara will win DCI

It would be cool to see this show win! It would be cool to see them get clean enough to win too! The foundation/design is there, but the execution is not right now. Give them time and I think they will get past BD. I'm not sure about Cavies, Cadets, Blooooooooo, or PR. Woa! This is a really cool year. Thanks SCV for coming back strong!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To win DCI, you need a show that is fast-paced, demanding, abstract and "avant-garde." Based on what I've seen of their show this year, all the elements are in place.

You also need to execute. Ppl are already saying that SCV is better than BD, typically the best-executing corps on the field. This is in June. The last time SCV was even close to BD in June was probably 1989.

Yes, SCV was eighth last year. If the season had been a day longer, they might have been 7th. They are the only corps to go from 7th to 1st in one season (1981). Also, last year was an aberration.

Just my opinion, based on nothing more than intuition and wild speculation, really, but there it is.

...interesting... interesting.

to say that Crown and SCV have the same odds of winning, you would have to ignore all of DCI history except for 2005.

How would ignoring DCI history fit here? Because SCV has won? Well, after they were at their absolute worst in 1980 (compared to 1972-1979) and won in 1981, what was the reasoning? Did they overhaul the staff? Nope. Do you think that the Bluecoats, finally beating Cavies in some captions like Guard and Drums, have LESS of a chance to win than SCV, because they've never won? I pulled Crown out of the air. What are the statistics regarding SCV versus Cavies this year? They've both won 6 times (both 5 solo and one tie, to keep it matched!).

Keeping in mind, that this is June. :grrr:

You also need to execute. Ppl are already saying that SCV is better than BD, typically the best-executing corps on the field.

And yet, SCV has not taken a single caption from BD all season long...

After being away from the planet for awhile and coming back to check up on how things are going, I can honestly say..Some things never change. Every one is a critic. :P

It's June people...not to say SCV couldn't win, they've done it many times before, but y'all have a long summer ahead of you..enjoy it.

How would ignoring DCI history fit here? Because SCV has won? Well, after they were at their absolute worst in 1980 (compared to 1972-1979) and won in 1981, what was the reasoning? Did they overhaul the staff? Nope. Do you think that the Bluecoats, finally beating Cavies in some captions like Guard and Drums, have LESS of a chance to win than SCV, because they've never won? I pulled Crown out of the air. What are the statistics regarding SCV versus Cavies this year? They've both won 6 times (both 5 solo and one tie, to keep it matched!).

Keeping in mind, that this is June. :grrr:

Keeping in mind that I was not there, but from what I have heard, SCV didn't finish 7th in 1980 because they were "worse" than they ever have been... it had more to do with the design of their show that year, and in that it went against much of what DCI had (to that point) been all about. Anyone out there up for giving us a history lesson to confirm or refute this?

After seeing them in rehearsal right before the start of the season I doubt they will NOT make top 4. As the original poster said, this is a championship show top to bottom - such a far cry from last years visual woes. I too think they have a MUCH better product than BD. Whether they can pull it off or not, who knows.

FYI - SCV has been closer to BD many times in June since 1989...at least within 4 points.

SCV beat BD in June in 2002

To win DCI, you need a show that is fast-paced, demanding, abstract and "avant-garde." Based on what I've seen of their show this year, all the elements are in place.

You also need to execute. Ppl are already saying that SCV is better than BD, typically the best-executing corps on the field. This is in June. The last time SCV was even close to BD in June was probably 1989.

Yes, SCV was eighth last year. If the season had been a day longer, they might have been 7th. They are the only corps to go from 7th to 1st in one season (1981). Also, last year was an aberration.

Just my opinion, based on nothing more than intuition and wild speculation, really, but there it is.

I saw SCV last night in Mesa, AZ ---- Very difficult show that has lots of POTENTIAL, but I don't see them winning it all. I think this show could knock on the door of 5th place, and if it does, that would be a pleasant surprise.