"Free Pass" for Amplification

Disagree to the idea that amps in and of themelves should be part of the score....the total sound, amped or not is what should be judged.

Right, right. But if amps CAUSE the sound problem, it should totally take a hit.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just heard the Cadets show... the original poster is going to gain boatloads of credibility as soon as the APD is released.

I've heard many, many drum corps shows in my life. That is the first time I'm ever said "Holy ####, what the #### was that? That was ####### awful."

If it's the same recording I heard today, it does tend to make you wonder where the amplification is figured in.

This isn't good.

Not that I'm trying to play devil's advocate or anything, but let's look at the recaps real closely. Or at least part of it:

June 23, Powder Springs GA. (Cadets' tech OK)

The Cadets (GE music)

rep show tot.

7.80 7.30 15.10

Phantom Regiment (GE music)

rep show tot.

7.40 7.20 14.60

----------------------------------------------------------

June 24, Columbia SC (Cadets' tech malfunction)

The Cadets (GE music)

rep show tot.

7.90 7.10 15.00

Phantom Regiment (GE music)

rep show tot.

7.40 7.40 14.80

----------------------------------------

The Cadets' malfunction MAY have cost them a few point in the showmanship subcaption of GE music. The night before, when all was well, they beat Phantom in that subcaption by .1, but on the night of the malfuction they lost to Phantom in that subcaption by .3. The repertoire subcaption seemed to hold steady both nights, perhaps unaffected by the malfunction.

So, it MAY have made a difference. So I guess the question is, is .4 enough of a difference? I wasn't there, so I didn't see it or hear it, but I would at this point have to say that it's not enough of a difference.

I think, as someone said earlier, that the fault probably doesn't lie with the judges, but with the system. There's not enough accountability. This type of equipment malfunction is completely unacceptable, it affects the whole show, the whole corps. It's not the same as a horn player's mouthpiece flying out, or a drum head busting open.

More people need to read this excellent post that was lost by the wayside during the witchhunt. Everyone is assuming that there was no reflection of the amps problems in the scores, when you can (possibly) see it right there. A .4 swing is fairly significant in my opinion

More people need to read this excellent post that was lost by the wayside during the witchhunt. Everyone is assuming that there was no reflection of the amps problems in the scores, when you can (possibly) see it right there. A .4 swing is fairly significant in my opinion

Buy the APD tomorrow. If you still think that this was worth 0.4 overall, I'll personally give you a curious puppy-didn't-understand head turn.

That show was awful, and I'm not talking about the show's merits, performance, or intensity. The technical problems plague this show from start to finish, and the show won. Let's not forget the show won. This was the "best show of the night". Baloney.

Edited by drumcat

A .4 swing is fairly significant in my opinion

A .4 swing would be significant in an actual full caption...but it was a .4 swing in a SUB caption, which ulitmately amounted to a .1 difference in the caption score.

Not nearly enough for the problems that plagued the show.

A .4 swing would be significant in an actual full caption...but it was a .4 swing in a SUB caption, which ulitmately amounted to a .1 difference in the caption score.

Not nearly enough for the problems that plagued the show.

GE stacks up point for point in the final score unlike performance captions.

Every tenth in every sub caption is a tenth in the final score

I don't know if anyone saw this but this is on the front of the Cadets webpage today.

AMPLIFICATION ... Yes, it is a challenge to do it right.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

By: George Hopkins

Want to be a sound guy for the rest of the summer?

There are many in the corps activity who hate the idea of amplification.

I ran into a few folks in Sevierville this Tuesday night who hate it … just hate it.

I appreciate the sentiment, but at the same time, my feeling is that if it is done right, done well, done with quality, the use of amplified sound (Including narration and even singing) can be a great, great bonus to the overall sound.

But, there is a key here …

We need to do it right.

We need to be in balance.

We need to eliminate back-feed.

We need to be able to make the performers sound like stars.

To date, we have been using the skills of staff members who have some college background in sound engineering. But as the quality of the equipment grows, the variables increase, and the need for expertise is immediate.

What is the greatest challenge? The five minute set up time.

If this was a normal environment, people would take hours to set up what we have to set up in minutes. Thus, the rehearsals need to be the best. The prep needs to be the best. The understanding of the system needs to be the best. The Cadets have the best teachers of marching music in the country. We need to have a high quality sound guy on the road. We need to have someone who can give answers, not ask questions. We need someone who can guarantee -- as best possible -- a great performance evening for the corps.

Knowing that great 'Sound People' are more than likely working at a “real” job, allow me to ask the question.

If you have background in amplification systems, including the use of wired and wired mics, and you would like to spend a week, or a month on the road with the Cadets, please contact George Hopkins, the director of the corps at hopkins@yea.org. In the meantime, the team we have in place will continue to work the system, all the time moving to perfection.

For the sake of the performers, the audience, and the potential of this program, we need an authority. Can you assist?

Buy the APD tomorrow. If you still think that this was worth 0.4 overall, I'll personally give you a curious puppy-didn't-understand head turn.

That show was awful, and I'm not talking about the show's merits, performance, or intensity. The technical problems plague this show from start to finish, and the show won. Let's not forget the show won. This was the "best show of the night". Baloney.

What do you want the judges to do? The Cadets beat Phantom by over a point in GE Visual alone. Should that judge have said to himself "This is not the best overall performance of the night, so I'm going to give this one to Phantom"

No, he did his job of judging the visual effect.

The Cadets lost Music and showmanship under GE Music, what more can you ask for?

George certainly does make it sound like its not worth all the trouble doesn't he?