"Free Pass" for Amplification

I also was at the South Carolina show and had many of the same questions. I posted this on another thread:

As for the Cadets: (Disclaimer: I like The Cadets; some of my all time favorite shows have come from them.)

On the positive side: incredible individual talent. Loved the drum features and horn licks. Some cool guard work (and, I am sure, more to come). I actually kinda liked the show concept and there are some interesting changes to the back of the corps uniform that go with the concept.

However... the execution of that concept, especially at this show, left a lot to be desired. The large ugly pink platforms were very distracting visually. The uniforms of the "other lead characters" (not Alice) were distracting - the people in the blue and white costumes were kinda creepy and the young lady in red was dressed a bit like a hooker. (I don't remember that part of the story.) The large squares of fabric across the back are either going to rotate on their own or blow over every show where there is wind.

But, the most distracting last night were the equipment malfunctions with the sound equipment. 3 things happened with the system: either it was soft and static or it was cutting in and out or it didn't work at all. You can't get much more distracting than that. Especially when large sections of the show concept are being carried by the vocalists.

(If this amp topic interests you at all, check it out yourselves when DCI puts up the APD recordings of the Cadets performance.)

With all that said, my biggest concern is not with The Cadets - it is with the judges. If Cadets had so many obvious problems with their sound system last night, how did their score go up by 0.35 over the prior night? How can they still win the show by 1.55 points taking Ensemble Music, GE Music and Total GE. Shouldn't the problems of last night be reflected somewhere in one or more of those scores? Is there anywhere on the judges' sheets to judge equipment malfunctions?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry for quoting myself.

I know that the Cadets will get this all worked out and their show will be great by August (as always). One other concern I had was for the people who only got to see the one show where the equipment didn't work right. What is their impression of drum corps? The people who were sitting near me were very confused.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting parts of DCI Judges meetings notes:

DCI Judges’ Percussion Caption Meeting 6/3/06 – Chicago, Illinois:

Electronics:

-Balance can only be judged upstairs

-What commentary can be used downstairs? (distractions, buzzing – NOT volume or balance)

-Were some corps electronics too loud? Is this a result of judging commentary?

-How GE is affected by this – if a corps is relying on electronics for certain effects and for some reason the electronics do not work, the score will reflect this. Cannot be judged on what you know it should be or what it was at the last show.

Friday Evening Session – Vocal Techniques and How to Evaluate:

-Voice performance will be evaluated by the ensemble music judge

-Guest Clinician, Mellissa Arasi went through the Music Ensemble Sheet and discussed how each subject related to vocal performance (solo voice and choir). In particular: Phrasing/Style and Interpretation, Balance and Blend, Timbre, Tuning and Intonation.

-She discussed basic techniques and common problems

-Judges listened to several examples of vocal performances and were given the opportunity to evaluate these.

-We then briefly discussed how this all effects the GE Music sheet.

So how exactly do their tech problems bring their score down? I dont' know anything about WGI or its sheets. What caption(s) would it affect? Is there something written specifically on the sheets about such malfunctions? Or is it just understood by the judges and participants and everyone that you're going to take a hit if you have tech problems?

I don't have copies of the judges sheets in front of me but the sheets are broken into 3 caption. Performance Analysis, Visual, and GE. Both groups scored higher in all captions in finals but their GE scores raised more than PA and Vis. It doesn't impact the visual caption at all but I would estimate the amps and electronics lift they got was covered 2/3 in the GE caption and 1/3 in the performance caption.

I also was at the South Carolina show and had many of the same questions. I posted this on another thread:

Sorry for quoting myself.

I know that the Cadets will get this all worked out and their show will be great by August (as always). One other concern I had was for the people who only got to see the one show where the equipment didn't work right. What is their impression of drum corps? The people who were sitting near me were very confused.

I am sure they will but they shouldn't be given the benefit of a doubt.

I think the credibility of the Judging community is at stake if this isn't addressed. I'm sure if a member of the horn line or drum line was continually playing out of time, or sticking out throughout the show, they would surely judge that and make appropriate deductions. I am almost sure it would be more than a tenth or two, depending on the corp!

Some interesting parts of DCI Judges meetings notes:

DCI Judges' Percussion Caption Meeting 6/3/06 – Chicago, Illinois:

Electronics:

-Balance can only be judged upstairs

So unbalance anywhere else doesn't matter?! The corps only needs to have balance at the press box. Anyone not sitting there, no matter how much you paid for your ticket, gets unbalanced music because the amps will be pointed in one direction.

As I recall, without amps, balance was the same all over, no matter where the horns were pointed. Everyone is happy that way, judges and fans. But screw the fans if all we have to do is make the judges happy.

Where's the logic in all of this business of only being balanced at the GE box?

So unbalance anywhere else doesn't matter?! The corps only needs to have balance at the press box. Anyone not sitting there, no matter how much you paid for your ticket, gets unbalanced music because the amps will be pointed in one direction.

As I recall, without amps, balance was the same all over, no matter where the horns were pointed. Everyone is happy that way, judges and fans. But screw the fans if all we have to do is make the judges happy.

Balance is always judged upstairs, amps or not. A field level judge is not in any position to evaluate the overall balance of sound.

Balance is always judged upstairs, amps or not. A field level judge is not in any position to evaluate the overall balance of sound.
But these days, we are hearing many corps only balanced at the box becasue that's where their little black boxes are pointed. That's a big difference. What about the fans "judging" what they hear?

I am sure they will but they shouldn't be given the benefit of a doubt.

If the judging philosophy of not giving the benefit of the doubt was enacted and preached, the activity would be better for it. Forget all the rules, modifications, whatever... if judging stopped giving the benefit of the doubt, judging and the activity itself would improve.

Balance has ALWAYS been judged from the location of the GE judge since the inception of the caption. You can't compare 10 yd line field-level sound to that acieved at the 50 40 rows up!