Amps on the judging sheets

So...i answered on the post about the Cadet APD and it got me thinking:

Should the judges' sheets be changed to reflect amp issues?

I think with GE Music, there is no need. If i judged and was constantly distracted by the Amp issues by a corps, then I would definitely go to the sheet with a lower score in mind. I would probably lower the showmanship number a few tenths or so. An amp that gives feedback, etc....if it hampers the performance effectiveness, which it obviously does, must be considered by a GE judge.

If you look at the Recap from the Columbia, SC show, the cadets were indeed THIRD in GE Music Showmanship and just 2 tenths above Crown. Now...i'm not suggesting that the amp issues were why this happened, just curious.

However, on the Ensemble Music Sheet? Ultimately, if it is not on the back of the sheet (which i am sure it isn't.....i'm sure nowhere does it mention Amplifier in any way with intonation, ensemble cohesiveness, sonority...etc.) then you can't evaluate it. Remember that Judges are trained to use the vocabular on their sheets and only consider what is written in those boxes.

To me, it would be much easier to consider amp problems on the Effect Sheet, since the caption is more subjective and you can justify that amp distortion, feedback etc. did indeed hamper the showmanship on part of the corps proper. On the ENS Music sheet, the latitude is much smaller. I suppose you can argue that an amp with feedback is affecting clarity and distorts sonority, but i don't think that would fly. SO...........................................

My question to you is:

Should DCI instruct judges to consider amp problems when going to their number?

Should DCI change the vocabulary of the music sheets (particularly ensemble) to specifically mention amps in the language so a judge can then reference it in his/her commentary and numbers?

I CAN SEE IT NOW:

Box One: The amplifier smokes, shakes and explodes and whistles dixie the whole show

Box Five: The amplification was handled in a professional manner, not distracting from the performance and allowing the audience to hear all voices in a beautiful blend of amplified and non-amplified sound.

LOL

Peace Out!

Balance, blend, clarity, tone quality, etc., are all qualities that are evaluated by the ensemble music judge. Those aspects can be judged as they are heard. There is no need to mention amps on the sheets - just judge the sound, the whole sound, and nothing but the sound.

Balance, blend, clarity, tone quality, etc., are all qualities that are evaluated by the ensemble music judge. Those aspects can be judged as they are heard. There is no need to mention amps on the sheets - just judge the sound, the whole sound, and nothing but the sound.

Hmmm...see any flying pigs float by? We agree 100% on something!!!!

So why can't they? As long as they are now consider "legal" parts of a performing drum corps, they should be judged also. Only difference is that amps do have an effect on the amplified sound and if they boarded so the sound between pit and brass unbalanced, the judge should state that. Or if there is a constant audible humming, then that also should be talked about. Now judging them or acknowledging them as a possible problem is just plain stupid. I also hope that they will also be positively judged if the amps are doing what they are suppose to do.

I'm wondering... if amping issues are added to the sheets to reflect, as mentioned, blending, balance, etc. (along with goof ups, like feedback, drop outs, etc.) then would the person operating the board be considered a "performer?" I've read that Hop sometimes runs it-- pretty sure he's past the ageout year! :)

Have they been doing that, though? Have any corps been taking knocks for popping, cracking, too loud amps?

Have they been doing that, though? Have any corps been taking knocks for popping, cracking, too loud amps?

I think the occasional popping and cracking would be allowed since AC lines aren't perfect (bad grounding, old wires, etcs) ....of course that would change if it's a constant problem.

you don't judge amps, they are inanimate objects. that's like saying we should judge a screen that a corps places in front of the field (ie 2005 phantom) then if the screen falls over the score should reflect that.

What should be judged is the performance and if the screen falling is a distraction and takes away from the performance then the score should reflect that. The same should go for any amplification issues. If problems with the amps affects the ensemble sound or the effectiveness of the show then the score should reflect that. And there doesn't need to be a change to the judges sheets to accomodate this since performance is what is being judged. No need to specifically call out amps just like you wouldn't specifically call out any other piece of new equipment.

When a corps amplifies their music, an instrument, voice, narration, they are altering the EFFECT of that instrument. Amplification is an effect-based form of delivery. It is not the music, it does not control the music, it does not control the performer, and it cannot determine pitch, tonal beauty, or the performer's own sense of phrase and balance. It simply enhances the level or volume of the performer or section.

So, with this in mind, here is how I see it:

There will be no need for a new caption to judge the amplification. Simply using the GE Music caption should allow for this. We simply cannot include it on the Ensemble or Performance music captions because those must ONLY be controlled by the performer. But the GE Music caption is an indicator of how the whole of the show's musical effect is presented, and here the amplification is clearly part of their total package, and therefore MUST be judged.

Remember that props have generally been judged. There is no caption for them, but the visual GE judge will always consider the setting, the backdrop, the effectiveness of the guard, the drill, the corps, the forms, the colors, and their connectedness to each other. Amplification is the equivalent of a visual prop, only its purpose is to enhance and further clarify the music.

This method basically just gives the GE Music judge one additional thing to consider.

Jonathan

All kidding aside, my own opinion is that amplification (and associated issues) should not be judged directly, but should play a part in the overall GE score-- but only in as much as the Effect. (Which, of course, technical meltdowns could affect...)