Allentown, PA SCORES

I loved the Cadets' performance, but I despised the show. WAY too much vocalization, not even taking the vocalist herself into consideration. Just tacky. And yes, the Queen of Hearts character looks like a bad drag queen. Cover it up.

Crossmen's show was perhaps the most entertaining of the night, though it has a long way to go in terms of excellence.

Boston's show just left me flat compared to Crown. I guess I can see why the scores were close but which one would I watch again on DVD? Definitely Crown.

Phantom has an excellent show but again, leaves me flat compared to last year. I loved the male additions to the guard.

Off to Rockford next week.

Edited by Phillygwm

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the Cadets' performance, but I despised the show. WAY too much vocalization, not even taking the vocalist herself into consideration. Just tacky. And yes, the Queen of Hearts character looks like a bad drag queen. Cover it up.

Crossmen's show was perhaps the most entertaining of the night, though it has a long way to go in terms of excellence.

Boston's show just left me flat compared to Crown. I guess I can see why the scores were close but which one would I watch again on DVD? Definitely Crown.

Phantom has an excellent show but again, leaves me flat compared to last year. I loved the male additions to the guard.

Off to Rockford next week.

One thing though. THEY SHOULD BE WEARING BLACK!

You mean white, right? I'm pretty sure you meant white. :P

Now I know why I never bother to read to read any of this!

Edited by BobFieldsDCW

Gee it is a good thing that the corps members themselves don't get to see the opinions of "some people" who post here. It would seem that with that kind of "negative" criticism aimed as certain corps. that corps should just pack it up and go home at the beginning of the season.

Why not expend your "negative energy" by doing something positive like those of us who really care. Take that 2 week vacation and volunteer to drive all night for the corps on tour, volunteer to cook for the corps or sew uniforms. And how about getting to know the kids and staff themselves before you condemn them. You just might see how proud they are of their corps and their show.

It may be all about the scores for you, but the kids are proud of what they do no matter where they place at Finals! I think the kids and staffs in these corps are working overtime to bring great shows to the field.

Perhaps you could wait a few more weeks down the line before you come up with such negative comments. Or better yet don't even bother to post them in case the kids do see them!

Nowadays I see a lot of kids with tattoos of their corps logo on their bodies. Those dont come off easily and neither does the pride of being with their corps.

LOL LOL LOL, blah blah blah. For the umpteenth time, These "kids" arent stupid, they arent made of glass, and they arent recruits for some cult. They know what end is up, they are resiliant, and have brains. They can handle nights away from home and grueling practice sessions and quite frankly, ironically, dont give a **** what anyone says. I know I didnt when I marched and if one thousand people are saying the same thing about something, they need to know whats up! Shield them from the truth and reality ?? Well, thats shows much more disrespect to them than telling them their designers came up with a clunker.

You write:

"Or better yet don't even bother to post them in case the kids do see them" ..umm, huh ?? Thank God, life doesnt work that way, imagine ..letting these kids out on tour, in the busses away from mommy and Daddy...do you approve of that ?? Sex, drugs, violence, reality...shield them from that, not a bad review of a poorly designed show. Lets get real here. And lets give these "kids" some credit.

Mr Fields, you and Mrs Field have been invloved with drum corps a long time, dont assume that the rest of us, or some of us, or any of us havent. Dont assume we dont volunteer our time, or donate money or do what we can to help the activity. Our opinions, wether negative, to you, or not are just as important and valid as yours, wether we have the arena of a drum corps paper or not. Just becuase you, or someone else considers the thoughts and opinions we take the time to share as negative or "unconstructive" doesnt mean they dont have the right to be heard.

~G~

:(

The space / gap between Crossmen and Crown/Boston was actually too little in my opinion. Crossmen, in years past, could rely on percussion or brass. This is not the case this year. The drumline should really not be featured anywhere in the show and this became evident in the writing and performances of the other groups. From the moment they (crossmen drumline) warmed up on the field until they walked off of the field they looked and sounded almost as good as a line in TOB or a middle of the group USSBA line.

The Brass line needs much cleaning and much rewriting. It should be done in a timley fashion so the percussion parts could be fixed. It sounds like an inexperienced staff at the helm. They really were too close to Carolina and Boston.

Two different worlds were in Allentown - planet A = Cadets, Phantom, Boston and Carolina. IN another galaxy on planet B = everyone else that evening. It was obvious to those who knew.

Reality will begin to take place as the season progresses. If this group wants to do the right thing and get back into the top 12, a great deal of fixing OR staff adjustments will need to be done ASAP. It was painful to watch and listen to the line. I may be off base here and 25 years of teaching and writing maybe out of the window, however, I kept my opinion to myself when I was leaving the stadium and I heard many others stating the exact same concerns.

Why was the Crossmen hornline playing their ballad from side 2 of the field and yet the hornline sound came from the SPEAKER on side 1? I hope they are not amplifying their hornline and that was the result of the microphone on the front marimba on side 2 (which was aimed at the field / hornset) pointed in the wrong direction. I am assuming that was a mistake -

I hope they clean, fix and rehire then rewrite to make finals. The kids deserve the best.

Goodluck to all -

I thought your post regarding the Crossmen drumline to be "almost as good as middle of the group USSBA" was in poor taste. I'm rooting for the Crossmen drumline to be a top 5 contender again like when Lee Beddis was caption head. Give these kids a break. They are a step up from last year, which was a complete rebuilding year for the drumline.

BackBeat

Crossmen Jazz Club Member

Edited by BackBeat

LOL LOL LOL, blah blah blah. For the umpteenth time, These "kids" arent stupid, they arent made of glass, and they arent recruits for some cult. They know what end is up, they are resiliant, and have brains. They can handle nights away from home and grueling practice sessions and quite frankly, ironically, dont give a **** what anyone says. I know I didnt when I marched and if one thousand people are saying the same thing about something, they need to know whats up! Shield them from the truth and reality ?? Well, thats shows much more disrespect to them than telling them their designers came up with a clunker.

You write:

"Or better yet don't even bother to post them in case the kids do see them" ..umm, huh ?? Thank God, life doesnt work that way, imagine ..letting these kids out on tour, in the busses away from mommy and Daddy...do you approve of that ?? Sex, drugs, violence, reality...shield them from that, not a bad review of a poorly designed show. Lets get real here. And lets give these "kids" some credit.

Mr Fields, you and Mrs Field have been invloved with drum corps a long time, dont assume that the rest of us, or some of us, or any of us havent. Dont assume we dont volunteer our time, or donate money or do what we can to help the activity. Our opinions, wether negative, to you, or not are just as important and valid as yours, wether we have the arena of a drum corps paper or not. Just becuase you, or someone else considers the thoughts and opinions we take the time to share as negative or "unconstructive" doesnt mean they dont have the right to be heard.

~G~

pssst G - he wasn't talking about you.

pssst G - he wasn't talking about you.

Well, that may or may not be true but all opinions have the right to be heard. If people take the time to form them, then they have the right to express them. Its a public forum and if the guidelines are met, they have that right. The kids can handle criticism, thats one of the things drum corps teaches us. And they know just where to put all of these opinions in perspective.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

Well, that may or may not be true but all opinions have the right to be heard. If people take the time to form them, then they have the right to express them. Its a public forum and if the guidelines are met, they have that right. The kids can handle criticism, thats one of the things drum corps teaches us. And they know just where to put all of these opinions in perspective.

~G~

FWIW I'm not sure the guidelines have been met in a few of these posts. Let me just leave it at that. See my PM for more info.

Cadets get little or no love the last 2 years from a lot of Drum Corps fans. Judges seem to have a much different opinion however.

As do lots of cheering fans at the shows...at least last year. Haven't seen them this year.

Don't let the few here on DCP impact your view on the total audience for the Cadets.