Music is "kewl" Allentown Review

Saturday, July 1st 2006. ASD Stadium.

It was a cool, clear, crisp night with a slight breeze. Allentown is still the best place to have a drum corps show, many seasoned vets there, mixed with a great YEA volunteer staff and some locals. Action got underway at 7:30 with the singing of the national anthem.

I was right on the fifty yardline all the way up in the last, very last row. Great view to read drill and hear the ensemble. For a large venue, the stadium was very, very empty, to the right, the seats started to taper of at the 38 yardline, and to the left the 30 yardline. X, Y, and Z were not in use though the judges were up there and some wanderers convinced the volunteers to let them in. Im still really shocked at the size of the crowd. I remember this same YEA show in 2003 and there were almost double the amount of people here.

Anyway, Raiders started the show, which may have been their first. A good sized div III guard of 16, a great percussion section and a capable brass program. Famiiar tunes throughout the show and a lot of potential here to staisfy both new and old school fans.

Magic was next and what a pleasant suprise ! A seemingly full corps, huge drumline and great sound. The arrangements werent as bad as I have read about here, quite the contrary, it seemed like everyone you talked to after the show said "I loved ( corps X) oh, and did you see magic ?? Wow ! " A lot of drill issues,some staging problems, not enough color in the guard, and guard uniforms that dont really do anything. They are blue jogging suit type outfits, just there.

This is a great show thought and can go as far as the members can execute and sell it. Again more color needed but entertaining nonetheless.

Southwind, what a nice addition to an early eastern show. And wow, what a classy look on the field. Talk about class ? Their staff is classy, these kids are classy, this show is classy. Guard was so elegant in their two shades of blue. Opening maneuver on the fifty was really nice and actually the whole corps shocked me. This show reminds me for some reason of 1995 Carolina Crown. This show is going to turn some heads and help establish Southwind as the leaders of the "rest of the pack" ...Continue like this and finals may be in your sights in a few years.

Two different corps uniforms blended well and highlighted the duality theme. Patterns were easy to read and effective in highlighting the music. A solid guard effort, especially opening weapons segment.

I love Carolina Crown ! Now dont fall on the floor "crownies" Except for the singing in 2004's show and the silly medusa costumes in 2002, I never really disliked a Crown show. Matter of fact, 2003, 2005, and this years 2006 offering are among my favorites ever of any corps.

This Crown show is beautiful, straight forward, GE packed drum corps. No old school drum corps fan should not be pleased with this show. Its got great, loud brass, ample percussion, a solid as usual colorguard and a real mature drill. Execution and emotion seem to be the only things holding it back right now. Musically, although I wasnt familiar witht he selections, I was able to embrace them and welcome them, they kept my interest, thats great arranging, same thing with the drill, I always new where to look and couldnt wait for the next tansition, akaleidescope, if you will, of evolving patterns and desiigns. I love this show and I cant wait to see/hear it again. Why they were behind BAC ?? Execution.

Boston Crusadrs came on the field next and had these large props, that I figured would connect at some point to become cathedrals windows, and they did, but they looked funny, like dolphins until they were used and were a little distracting, not a lot, just a little. Guard uniform was similar to the one worn two/three years ago..and you know what ? Good. Corps dont need to be changing into costumes every year, let the music sell your show, not the costumes. BAC's guard uniforms are always pretty and complimentary to the corps proper, this year no exception.

Looks like BAC has a "big boy" drill this year, fresh and complete without any re-hashed maneuvers, except some dramatic posing, which is fine. And it sounds like BAC has some "big boy" arrangements this year. Although the music to me, was not familiar, It was easy to get into and feel the emotion, thats the key to their early success, they seem to be able to master the emotion in the music and sell it to the audience, and we can feel them communicating with us.

Again, the drill is pretty, evolving patterns, great staging and good field coverage. Some muddled transitions at this point, but Im sure it will change. Guard in the end uses beautiful stained glass like flags right when the windows get moving, and make for a really pretty effect. I dont see them staying above Crown, but they are cleaner and more in control right now.

Phantom Regiment presented a breathtaking display of showmanship, passion, and sophistication unmatched by any corps there tonight. This is a show that is full of effect and has a long way to go. I was suprised it didnt take the top spot tonight but in time I dont see any reason why Phantom cant overtake Cadets. Musically, the sound is deep and loud, not bombastic loud but full, of dynamics, in control loud. Lots of depth in the brass program this year and arrangements are full of notes to present maximum exposure. Its also pretty music, powerful, and full of emotion. You get drawn in and take the ride with the corps. This is vintage Phantom Regiment. And percussion ?? Holy Cow, is this really PR ?? They are laying down a lot of notes, in a short period of time, and its crisp, it is diverse,and they arent standing still. I was really impressed and shocked at the noticeable difference form this line and previous PR percussion lines.

Colorguard seemed a little flat in Allentown and couldnt keep their hands on the equipment, I think this had a lot to do with the scores being so far apart between them and Cadets. They were written into the show effectively and at this point are still mastering their drill. Their drill is really fast moving and I found it more effective than last years in terms of staging and transitions. Lots of patterns, some suprises and lots of effect. The six guys in the S&M type outfits were a little shocking but when they can handle their equipment will be really effectivr

Cadets, of Allentown were on next, first I shall deliver the good. They werent as bad as I thought they were going to be. Brass has a deep, rich , mature sound and percussion, although sometimes muddy and repetitive were extremely effective. The drill, while not nearly their "toughest in years" had some nice flow and some really nice sets to it. One final positive note. The cheezy, door prop has graduated, looking less like a highschool play prop and more like an off-broadway show prop. Thats where the good ends.

When on Earth did drum corps turn into the arena show at Great Adventure ?? There this young lady, sauntering around, way too overconfident with a black dress and heels on and a giant microphone in her hand. As the show starts she is on one of the dozen or so pink picninc tables and starts belting out "history repeating" by the propellerheads. I mean really giving it her all......its so funny and shocking the crowd just goes "huh" ?? I am so glad that as some pundits say that DCP isnt the "real world" , becuase being out smack in the middle of it, not one soul around me thought it was great, or good, or even decent, or belonged in a drum corps show....but I digress. Now I thought the Cadets were on the forefront of inovation here? I mean, I can recall hearing this song in WGI over a decade ago, hardly anything new or inovative. It was really terrible. And then there are these four characters dressed in terribly designed costumes who do nothing but banter and talk throughout the entire first half of the show, asking us to tea..ugh, all kinds of things including the "I swallowed one of these about an hour ago" line that some "borg" wanted to hide under the carpet.

From what I gathered, the four actors are Alice, Queen of hearts, braer Rabbit, and the mad hatter. So , lets see, world class, percussion, top of the line brass, a drill program that set standards for two decades, but costumes and props that wouldnt cut it in summer stock ??? It doesnt fit.....if you are the best and are part of an activity that promotes being the best, why settle for less than the best when it comes to props and singing......sell your show with the talent of the kids, not the vision of the staff......terrible call to use all this in the show, and the flowers and designs on the back of their jackets ?? again, settling, not innovative or trend setting.

There's too much garbage going on on the field that its all I can remember after two viewings, I remember the tea party, the fiasco on the tables, the four characters running around, and Oh !!a really really haunting ballad that was totally diminished by some wolf howls and other animal nosies mixed in electronically so I couldnt fully appreciate the brilliance of the brass. Embarassing.

Oh, yeah, I can recall a solid percussion break, a real soild and exciting percussion break for that matter..thats what was awesome, the talent of those drummers and the intensitiy in their playing.

Unfortunatley I dont recall much of the guard, silks were forgetable, equipment work was not solid as they also couldnt keep their hands on their stuff, but I can see the potential for some nice ensemble flag moments. I dont see this show winning, not even if I liked it and it was performed perfect, you just get a feeling, and the feeling is this will not make a run for the championship. Much too much nonsense and props and singing and talking.....this was the least well received Cadets show ever at an Allentown event since I have been seeing them there since 1980.

Crossmen rounded out the show. First off, what a good guard uniform. A modern take on a cross design on blue material. Elegant. Liked it. I can not believe Im going to say this, but I have to be honest. I loved this show, everything about it. The changing lanes theme, although not something I thought I would embrace because of too many WGI versions, was really appealing, and despite the simple vocals, the creativity was indeed there in the design of the show. Bravo Crossmen for taking a controversial element and using in such a way that is has to be well received, and it was.

Now, would I want to see 12 corps doing this ?? no, way, but this show, on this night, was really entertainigng and well done.

The corps is light years ahead of last year, there is a maturity in the presentation of the brass and percussion, and Guard sells the show well. Lots of "ooh " moments in the guard, the car silks were effective,as was the car drill set. "Marriage of figaro" was tentative, but it was great to hear it and will sound well by August. Some compared this show th a VK type show, I say no...it wasnt full of humour, it was a classy show with a clever theme and approach, the laughs came because of the performance, meaning it fit, When you change the radio and hear the songs in the order Crossmen presented them you get a chuckle. ie: "My Humps" ..never thought I'd hear that in a drum corps show.

Anyway, great show, lots of potential to do well, and I see them back in the top twelve as long as they take command of their show, execute and sell it. One great moment in particular was with the use of red/gold two sided flags, a great effect.

I noticed that this year all the brasslines are loud and commanding. I dont mean absent of dynamics, I mean when it calls for them to be loud, theya re real loud, and sustained too. Its a nice treat.

Guards are using a lot more orange. Orange/purple, orange/blue....so many have picked up where Phantom Regiment left off with their stunning guard designof last year.

Too many sabre lines are messy and inefective. Early or not, Get the message that sabres are for indoors or limited usage for maximum effect. Not to be just used and get lost in the rest of whats going on. Best flag design of the night ?? Phantom Regiment, followed by Carolina Crown.

Too tired to head to Beverly today, but my next stop is Bristol, then Indy next weekend.

~G~

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear George Hopkins,

Read this man's review of the corps.

Now read it again.

And again.

Once more.

Thank you. Now start picking the musical selections for the 2007 program.

Good luck Cadets in '07! Take it home!

What's that? A third edition of "the Zone"? Incorporating elements from other activities such as rock and roll, choir, and theater while diminishing whatever part of the show is still part of the drum and bugle corps activity and banishing it to the background? Performing a show that is purposefully completely disconnected from the audience? I guess I should start planning my ultra hot dog now...and it'll need to be a foot-long one, too, based on how long it'll take to get all the props on and off the field.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Wow, excellent review. Thanks for taking the time to write all that! ^OO^

Thanks for the review, G! I must say, I've enjoyed reading your posts more than I think I ever have before.

You've been honest with your opinions, and certainly you had some words for the Cadets design, but you were also good about giving credit when credit was due, as well. I probably would have used a lighter tone (lines like "It was terrible" are probably unnecessary), but that's just me, and it's your review. While some will certainly try to dismiss your review as being that of just another anti-amper, I feel comfortable that you approached the Cadets show with an open mind, just as I hope to do this weekend in Indy. After all, where the old G might have bagged on Crossmen as well, the new G seems to have admitted that effective use of amplified voice is indeed possible. (though I'm sure we're still on our baby steps with that one! :worthy:)

And yes, I remember the glowing praise you had for Crown back in 2003, so I've got your back if anyone doubts you on that, as well.

Allow me to return the favor of that beer, you've earned it. :wall:

Edited by Maedhros

look - you and I are buds - but your BIAS is showing :)

How can Magic have what "looks to be a full corps" when they had ten or more obvious holes in the hornline and less than 20 guard?

The Cadet program that was "worst recieved" at Allentown wasn't this (not even close) - this got applause throughout and a standing O from many at the end. In 1991 Cadets got booed, ignored, talked through, practically spit upon

Like it or not Cadets will likely be your 2006 champions. The way I see it - it won't be close. They have breathtaking potential IMO

Like it or not Cadets will likely be your 2006 champions. The way I see it - it won't be close. They have breathtaking potential IMO

Kinda early to say Cadets will likely be champs this year and it won't be close, don't ya think? They have yet to go head to head with Cavies, Bluecoats (I think?), or Blue Devils...all of which are scoring very well right now. Who knows...maybe they will win, but even if they do, I think it will still be close.

To the original poster...thanks for the review!

How about yours, you might want to cover that up. :P

After reading both your words, I think it drives home the point that no one can ever speak for the rest of the audience. Two people, two very different thoughts as to what the rest of the audience thought of the show, and it just so happens both of you think the audience agrees with you. The only thing we can ever ask a review to do is to give us the author's opinion. Biased or not, I've generally come to determine who is biased on these boards, and which way they lean. Speaking for any else, though, is purely speculation.

Except for me....my words ring the unfettered truth

Edited by JMS0527

How can Magic have what "looks to be a full corps" when they had ten or more obvious holes in the hornline and less than 20 guard?

The Cadet program that was "worst recieved" at Allentown wasn't this (not even close) - this got applause throughout and a standing O from many at the end. In 1991 Cadets got booed, ignored, talked through, practically spit upon

1991 Cadets were not booed at all, they were cheered for the most, right behind Cavaliers, then Crossmen. The show may have seemed controversial at the time, and in retrospect, but they Cadets/YEA PA. , Hometown fan base ate it up...they were cheered for tremendously in finals and in prelims.

Not even a full standing "O" after last nights performance should tell it all.

~G~