Music is "kewl" Allentown Review

Not even a full standing "O" after last nights performance should tell it all.

~G~

I only stood up to adjust my underwear.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about yours, you might want to cover that up. :P

After reading both your words, I think it drives home the point that no one can ever speak for the rest of the audience. Two people, two very different thoughts as to what the rest of the audience thought of the show, and it just so happens both of you think the audience agrees with you. The only thing we can ever ask a review to do is to give us the author's opinion. Biased or not, I've generally come to determine who is biased on these boards, and which way they lean. Speaking for any else, though, is purely speculation.

and I agree - neither of us are "wrong" - my impressions are just different than his

1991 Cadets were not booed at all, they were cheered for the most, right behind Cavaliers, then Crossmen. The show may have seemed controversial at the time, and in retrospect, but they Cadets/YEA PA. , Hometown fan base ate it up...they were cheered for tremendously in finals and in prelims.

Not even a full standing "O" after last nights performance should tell it all.

~G~

At Allentown in 1991 Cadets were booed (roundly) for beating a certain other corps

Like it or not Cadets will likely be your 2006 champions. The way I see it - it won't be close. They have breathtaking potential IMO

Although I can appreciate your sentiment in that statement, it could change once you've seen the "blue" corps from the west. For this drum corps fan, I can think of a handful of times I've uttered the word "brilliant" when describing a corps, ESPECIALLY this early in the season, but after experiencing the Dev's for the past three (3) days, the word flowed from my mouth.

That said, it's going to be one #### of a year for DC. :)

Well, clearly, except for Jason.

See now you've gotten with the program :P

At Allentown in 1991 Cadets were booed (roundly) for beating a certain other corps

Cadets were not booed in Allentown after their performance in 1991 in either prelims or finals, and who did they beat that would warrant the "booing" ?? They were fourth, under the Cavaliers, Blue Devils, and Crossmen .

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

G,

As always, I love reading your reviews. Nice job. You called it the way you saw it, and I think you were honest and fair, and I can tell you know what you are talking about. Great review, and I hope the Cadets take some of your suggestions and make some major fixes. Nice to hear your review of Boston, Crown, and Crossmen as well...and Magic. They have been scoring quite low, but I feel like I know more about their show now.

Hope you get a chance to see the Bluecoats real soon.

Jonathan

The Cadet program that was "worst recieved" at Allentown wasn't this (not even close) - this got applause throughout and a standing O from many at the end.

Well, let's be honest. Every corps got a standing O from many at the end. :)

And not for nuthin, but I was standing under the scoreboard near the entrance and watched the Cadets from the side of the field with a perfect view of them and the audience. Because of the way the show is paced, it takes a while for them to allow the audience to react with applause. There is still that VERY awkward moment of prolonged silence after History Repeating and the door effect. Some pockets of applause for some guard catches here and there. The first real "oh yeah" drum corps crowd response I heard in the show was into the percussion feature for the STICK TOSS. Then the crowd really responded at the end of the drum solo, which was a no brainer. End of the ballad got what I consider average/polite applause, and then the obligatory standing O at the end.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, cuz there is much about the show that I personally enjoy, but I was specifically checking out how the crowd would respond at what was essentially a "home show" for them, which is why I stood where I did. I was pretty amazed that it was lukewarm at best. Reactions for Phantom and Boston, the other two corps I watched from the side were much bigger. I watched Crossmen from the upper deck with their staff and it seemed as if the crowd liked them a lot, but it was difficult to gage from where I was, and I was more intent on watching what was going on on the field with them anyway.

Cadets were not booed in Allentown after their performance in 1991 in either prelims or finals, and who did they beat that would warrant the "booing" ?? They were fourth, under the Cavaliers, Blue Devils, and Crossmen .

~G~

What I remember is a huge cheer after the CBC's score, because Xmen had beaten them. Xmen did win DCE the year before, but had fallen away come Allentown. For them to beat CBC that late in the year was quite a feat that showed the progress that they had been achieving for a few years. I really don't remember any booing. There were some huh moments, mostly during the picnic. I think the crowd loved Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs.

What I remember is a huge cheer after the CBC's score, because Xmen had beaten them. Xmen did win DCE the year before, but had fallen away come Allentown. For them to beat CBC that late in the year was quite a feat that showed the progress that they had been achieving for a few years. I really don't remember any booing. There were some huh moments, mostly during the picnic. I think the crowd loved Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs.

Oh yeah ! It was a gas.....THe show was a scratch your head show but not a "boo" show in any way. It was well received, especially since they were coming off a championship year and the corps was still a force to be reckoned with )as usual) . If you recall, they announced the Cadets score, then there were eruptions of cheer...THEN Paul Cain announced the caption award winners, and then the top three scores for finals that night.

~G~