Music is "kewl" Allentown Review

Oh yeah ! It was a gas.....THe show was a scratch your head show but not a "boo" show in any way. It was well received, especially since they were coming off a championship year and the corps was still a force to be reckoned with )as usual) . If you recall, they announced the Cadets score, then there were eruptions of cheer...THEN Paul Cain announced the caption award winners, and then the top three scores for finals that night.

~G~

1991...amazing show! Who doesn't like Short Ride, anyway?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xmen did win DCE the year before, but had fallen away come Allentown.

Your chronology is a bit off. We beat them at DCE in 1991, not 1990. And we were hanging with them most of that '91 season, even after DCE. They would jump up a point or two ahead of us and then we would catch up. A few days before DCI East up in Montreal, we beat them, so it was fairly close all season up until the end, and even that was weird:

1991 Quarterfinals

Cadets 93.90

Crossmen 90.40

1991 Semifinals

Cadets 91.60

Crossmen 91.20

1991 Finals

Cadets 93.70

Crossmen 89.70

Like I said, weird! :)

Edited by CrossmenAlumni

IMO if Xmen had continued that momentum to finals in 91, WOW. Allentown that year was, IMO, their most electric show all year

Cadets were not booed in Allentown after their performance in 1991 in either prelims or finals, and who did they beat that would warrant the "booing" ?? They were fourth, under the Cavaliers, Blue Devils, and Crossmen .

~G~

UH - I was there. Cadets beat Xmen at Prelims and the score got booed like crazy.

They were rudely treated at finals that night and then the crowd went nuts when Xmen snuck past them. 1991 Cadets were treated horrifically by the judging community and the "fans" - to this day I have no idea what the judges were looking at / I guess the show was a little too ahead of its time. That opener and ballad are classics and the closer (while a mess up until finals week) was a lot of fun

But anyway - my point orginally was that Saturday wasn't the worst reaction at Allentown to the Cadets - and I still feel that's the case. They also were reacted to pretty cool on other occasions - including 1988 for example. Saturday the crowd didn't go nuts - no question about that - but they got some applause at several times after solo breaks, guard moments, impact points - etc and at the end got a 50% standing O - so not bad.

George

Edited by George

UH - I was there. Cadets beat Xmen at Prelims and the score got booed like crazy.

They were rudely treated at finals that night and then the crowd went nuts when Xmen snuck past them. 1991 Cadets were treated horrifically by the judging community and the "fans" - to this day I have no idea what the judges were looking at / I guess the show was a little too ahead of its time. That opener and ballad are classics and the closer (while a mess up until finals week) was a lot of fun

But anyway - my point orginally was that Saturday wasn't the worst reaction at Allentown to the Cadets - and I still feel that's the case. They also were reacted to pretty cool on other occasions - including 1988 for example. Saturday the crowd didn't go nuts - no question about that - but they got some applause at several times after solo breaks, guard moments, impact points - etc and at the end got a 50% standing O - so not bad.

George

Ok, we will agree to disagree, I know they werent boo'ed, you say they were. Logic: Cadets will never get boo'ed in Allentown, simple deduction, no one not even Star in 1992 Got Boo'ed in Allentown after a performance......No one has ever been boo'ed after a performance. After score announcement ? Sure some boos have been regfistered, but Cadets, right after they finish a show, in Allentown?? Like I said, we will agree to disagree. Not a bad track record for us, huh ??

~G~

look - you and I are buds - but your BIAS is showing :)

How can Magic have what "looks to be a full corps" when they had ten or more obvious holes in the hornline and less than 20 guard?

The Cadet program that was "worst recieved" at Allentown wasn't this (not even close) - this got applause throughout and a standing O from many at the end. In 1991 Cadets got booed, ignored, talked through, practically spit upon

Like it or not Cadets will likely be your 2006 champions. The way I see it - it won't be close. They have breathtaking potential IMO

"Cadets 2006 Champs":

That will be a very sad day for 'Junior Drum Corps", or rather whats left of it.....

Elphaba

look - you and I are buds - but your BIAS is showing :)

Like it or not Cadets will likely be your 2006 champions. The way I see it - it won't be close. They have breathtaking potential IMO

Geroge, You are a good guy, but we will certainly find out if your bold prediction holds water at Indy this weekend when they go up against BD and the Cavie's.

Geroge, You are a good guy, but we will certainly find out if your bold prediction holds water at Indy this weekend when they go up against BD and the Cavie's.

Heh - I don't think I made any bold predictions about Indy :laugh:

I think BD has the edge right now - but its hard to tell with no common opponents. It could go BD/Cavaliers/Cadets or not. Cadets show is taking time to gel - drill is wicked hard as are the musical demands. By late July I think they'll be in a league of their own. But that's just my gut and I know I'm way out on my own limb here :P

Heh - I don't think I made any bold predictions about Indy :laugh:

I think BD has the edge right now - but its hard to tell with no common opponents. It could go BD/Cavaliers/Cadets or not. Cadets show is taking time to gel - drill is wicked hard as are the musical demands. By late July I think they'll be in a league of their own. But that's just my gut and I know I'm way out on my own limb here :P

You're not alone George. I followed the Cadets all winter and saw how good this corps could be. Don't let people beat you down about the Cadets. First, you are entitled to your opinions (just as the anti-Cadets folks are), and second, you're correct on your assessment of the Cadets. If they can clean this show, they will be in a league of their own by the end of this season. What a stellar job their design team has done this year.

G! Thanks for a great, honest-spoken review. I haven't seen Cadets yet, so can't really comment on whether I agree or not, but you seem to be echoing what many others have said about them. Thanks for investing the time to give us your thoughts.

Harvey