Beverly scores

The Cadets may very well have been a " big hit " in your section of the stands at Beverly, but I would not characterize their performance as " a big hit " in my section on the 35 yard line. The Cadets were acknowledged to be clearly the best performing Corps and deserved winners, but when they finished their show there was tepid audience response to their show at best for them with the people around the 35 yard line. Some in my section waited as they were not entirely sure the Cadets show had finished. In my section, most people around me thought the Crossmen won over the audience with their show, not the Cadets. ( not me though, Crossmen's show while fun, had lots of execution issues ) My section did not react noticeably negatively with the amps nor the singing, nor the Cadets characters though, so my section seemed to agree with those from your vantage point. My section seemed to like Boston tonite. Their show ends on a quiet note so perhaps you perceived the quiet response to be less than solid approval. Were you low or up high ? We sat up high, ( stands not very high though ) and my section liked Boston's visual better than even Phantom Regiment's...... my wife never marched drum corps and speaks her mind...... she did not like Boston's show all that much last year..... thought it was too cookie cutter...... she liked Boston this year..... others in my section expressed the same sentiments regarding Boston..... People seemed to like Phantom's 2nd half of the show better than anybody's on the field tonite. I liked Phantom Regiment's show better last year, but noone in my section thought that they were looking at an outdated 10 year obsolete Phantom Regiment, so your section was not reflective of ours on that either. Everybody loved the Cadets drum solo sequence in my section, and the Cadets got a great crowd reaction for that ( probably the best single moment of the night ), so your section and our sections seem to be in agreement with that.

Yep, that's Drum Corps. When I wake up in the morning, I always ask myself if my dreams were clean enough. Can't afford to make any mistakes out there:)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. How can a show seem "out of date"? Pretty much any show from the mid-'80s onward would work perfectly today...can anyone think of any that wouldn't?

judges would probably not let a velvet knight show score in the 90's anymore <**> which is a shame, becasue they were awsome

Edited by MUMarchingthunder04

1 The Cadets 82.550

2 Phantom Regiment 80.650

3 Boston Crusaders 76.850

4 Crossmen 71.750

5 Southwind 66.300

6 The Magic 60.850

I was at the Beverly show. You have got to be kidding me with the Cadets. I am a very big Cadets fan, this show bites. I thought I was watching a Bands Of America show, Mr Hopkins please get out of the activity!!!

Phantom was very good, I like when part of thier show has no trumpets, all the trumpets played mellophones, flugels, ufoniums, what a beautiful sound.

Boston has such a wonderful show, I cant believe that the Cadets and Phantom are beating them by so much. I felt after the scores that I was at a different drum corps show than the Judges. Boston is very very talented and very clean. The stands were so low that GE was not so effective, so I could not say anything about GE. Overall I cant see why there is such a big gap in scores.

I liked the Crossmen show, I like the radio sequinces. I think thier show will diffenatly be in the Finals, they have a very lively show. I also found myself getting into Southwind. I like the Uniforms and the Shakoes. I like the begining of thier show, they run out of gas half way through, with some clean up they could have themselves a very solid show.

Edited by bobk9258

Just got back from the Beverly show. Cadets were a big hit with the audience. Did not hear one comment about amps or characters in costume. Phantom and Crossment were big hits too. Boston got, what appeared to be, a luke warm response from the home crowd. (Massachusetts audiences are very equal opportunity audiences. They will clap for whomever they like that night, local favorite or not.) Southwind, Magic, ECJ and Surf also were popular. It was a great show with fine performances by all. Cadets show is an assault on the senses. The drum solo was very well received. Phantom has an incredibly talented drum line and brass section. The show, however, seems about 10 years out of date. Wish they had played it in 1997.

Were we at the same show? The crowd barely reacted to Cadets. They got polite applause not nearly the reaction that Phantom, Crossmen and Boston got.

Were we at the same show? The crowd barely reacted to Cadets. They got polite applause not nearly the reaction that Phantom, Crossmen and Boston got.

Bridaier80 is right----Cadets applause was a fraction of Crossmen, Phantom, and Boston. Also, it might have helped Cadets if someone had turned on the vocalist's mike.

I was at the Beverly show. You have got to be kidding me with the Cadets. I am a very big Cadets fan, this show bites. I thought I was watching a Bands Of America show. Phantom was very good, I like when part of thier show has no trumpets, all the trumpets played mellophones, flugels, ufoniums, what a beautiful sound. Boston has such a wonderful show, I cant believe that the Cadets and Phantom are beating them by so much. I felt after the scores that I was at a different drum corps show than the Judges. Boston is very very talented and very clean. The stands were so low that the GE was not so effective, so I could not say anything about GE. Overall I cant see why there is such a big gap in scores.
The same way I felt after the Columbia, SC show where Phantom's drums beats the Cadets. I was like you've got to be kidding me. Hence the reason you and I are in the stands and not in the pressbox with a score sheet in front of us. :P
It depends on where you are sitting. I tried to gage the crowd response to the Cadets but couldn't tell much more than about 15 yards away. My area was standing and for all I know the next section could have been sitting on their hands. It's really hard to tell. It did seem their applause level was lower but then again I couldn't hear the entire stadium.

Besides all that matters is what the judges think when it comes to scores. '02 Cadets crowd response to BWBB at every show I attended was flat out awesome but did that really sway the judges? no.