Cadets 2006 Show – A Fresh Perspective

Yes. Now take out all the vocals and this will be an amazing show. They destroy it.

What he said.

Take out the vocals, and I PROMISE to like it. Honest!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why you say that but the Cadets are just rehashing last years show. Now, I'm sure I will be in awe when I see it come Madison, but couldn't they at least try a new concept? I'm all for the layers in the shows. It gives great depth and rewatchabilty to the all levels of viewers. Who knows maybe I will be loving "the zone part 2". Time will tell.

I remember a certain corps from Wisconsin doing this in 95 and 96, but I just don't remember who :) . People, rehashing is not a new concept.

Edited by WOOHOO

Oh for gods sake, all you need to appreciate the Cadets show this year is eyes and ears. You know people have such double standards some time. How many people can explain why Phantom has guys in the guard dressed like executioners, or why a girl in the guard lays on the field for half of a song :blink: ? Talk about not understanding what you're watching, but of course Phantom gets a pass on this because they are not the Cadets.

Er, because they assume that everyone and their mother knows the story of Faust? I mean, it's a classic.

But on another note... with all this layering and whatnot... you compared drum corps shows to paintings, well, can I make another? I want to compare shows to movies... where we have the Cadets which are in the mind of Donnie Darko, A Clockwork Orange, Dancer in the Dark (obviously), etc., meaning that they are considered more artistic in that they make you think and can require a lot of viewings to see what all they have. Then we have say, the Cavaliers. The Cavaliers with their drill are like... Die Hard. Something explodes, we all go nuts.

Personally, I'm an action movie fan too be honest. Call me simple minded, maybe you're right. But I think enough in school. I want to pay $50, see something explode, go ape****, throw someone's baby, and go home. I don't want to ponder the meaning of measure 119 in the ballad to figure out why guard girl #17 is doing the Macarena behind a rock-singing baritone soloist. Ok, maybe that was over the top, but the point stands. It doesn't take much to satisfy me in terms of show design... blow something up, and I'm happy.

I remember a certain corps from Wisconsin doing this in 95 and 96, but I just don't remember who :) . People, rehashing is not a new concept.

and

SCV 88 and 89, although that goes beyond rehashing

didnt glassmen and crossmen do some kind of trilogies or something also?

It is?

I had never heard of it.

I guess Alice in Wonderland is pretty obscure though...

But you see, when I compare the shows, PR did an easier-to-understand version of the tale they are telling. In Faust, they had 3 characters... Faust, the girl he's drying to woo, and the devil. Easy enough. Faust chases girl, Faust meets devil, girl dies. If you know the story it's fairly easy to pick out based solely on the characters presented (2 guys, 1 girl) and the chronology.

However, in Alice in Wonderland, which I find to be a great story and one fairly easy to understand, the Cadets decided to do their own with it... giving it a maroon twist. Well, that got complicated at first... since this was The Zone part 2, I assumed the girl that exited the door was Danny (that was her name in The Zone, right?) in a new get-up... but swiftly discovered she was Alice in an 80's sweat suit. All's well, as the characters came it took a little to figure out who they were... the rabbit was easy enough, but I swear, it took me the whole show to realize the woman in red was the Queen of Hearts...

The problem? They put so much of an identity into a story that's pretty well established that 1) it was difficult at first to pick out the story from the way it was presented and 2) it took a while to discern where the Alice story began when we were all expecting a sequel to the Zone... which, other than the way the show starts and ends, it really isn't.

ehhh

I've seen one explosion I've seen them all

A common thought I hear from most Cadets supporters... they support what the Cadets do because the Cadets are 100% about change... the organization is like a spoiled kid in that it isn't good unless it's new. However, I think I can speak for a lot of drum corps fans when I say that I can still get excited from watching shows from the 70's that I've seen numerous time over... and I'm 18, and I know kids younger than me who can say the same. So obviously, the explosions are still awe-inspiring for most of us.

But on another note... with all this layering and whatnot... you compared drum corps shows to paintings, well, can I make another? I want to compare shows to movies... where we have the Cadets which are in the mind of Donnie Darko, A Clockwork Orange, Dancer in the Dark (obviously), etc., meaning that they are considered more artistic in that they make you think and can require a lot of viewings to see what all they have.

or you can just enjoy the marching and playing. also, i'd put the cavaliers infront of the cadets in terms of having to watch a show to see all they have.

Then we have say, the Cavaliers. The Cavaliers with their drill are like... Die Hard. Something explodes, we all go nuts.

same with Cadets: drum solo drill moves, toilet bowl, etc...

more memorable expolsion moves to date than the cavaliers.

Personally, I'm an action movie fan too be honest. Call me simple minded, maybe you're right. But I think enough in school. I want to pay $50, see something explode, go ape****, throw someone's baby, and go home. I don't want to ponder the meaning of measure 119 in the ballad to figure out why guard girl #17 is doing the Macarena behind a rock-singing baritone soloist. Ok, maybe that was over the top, but the point stands. It doesn't take much to satisfy me in terms of show design... blow something up, and I'm happy.

do you like nascar also? :P jk jk