Crossmen "Radio"

When I saw the Crossmen standstill performance in Chesapeake a couple weeks ago, I was really disappointed in the Radio section of the show.

After listening to the Crossmen APD, I think it's humorous.

I would still prefer that it not be there. I think it drags on a little too long. I think it'd be absurd to understand without amps.

But, I think it's humorous.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want discussion?? :P Saw this at a pre-season exhibition

OK, I hate amps but can't see how this bit could have been done otherwise. Thought the corps playing the different "stations". Showed how flexible a DC could be with different styles of music. And the next to last (forget what) and last (Salsa) bits did bring a few chuckles but well received.

You want discussion?? :P Saw this at a pre-season exhibition

OK, I hate amps but can't see how this bit could have been done otherwise. Thought the corps playing the different "stations". Showed how flexible a DC could be with different styles of music. And the next to last (forget what) and last (Salsa) bits did bring a few chuckles but well received.

You want discussion? here's my post reply to Studio Tan who didn't like it at the Rockford show.

Jamesdrum007 Jul 10 2006, 04:24 PM Post #196

DCP Rookie

Group: Members

Member No.: 9116

QUOTE(Studio Tan @ Jul 10 2006, 05:03 AM)

On Crossmen:

Three seconds of "My Humps" in a DCI program are still three too many.

The whole "Illinois beats Wisconsin!!1" thing is corny. Local touches generally are, see last year's Blue Devils disaster where one couple is always from the host city.

All in all, the narration didn't need to be there, it distracts you from the fact that the Crossmen are pretty darn good. The Cadets had their fingerprints all over this show.

Glad you were as excited about the Cadets 3rd place finish as we all were, though. That needs to go down in history.

I believe most dc fans might agree that a corps' full production of the hip-hop tune "My Humps" isn't desired. But a few seconds (8? 10?) of it in a radio sequence fits perfectly. OK, you don't agree. Well then, please tell us Studio Tan WHICH hip-hop tune should they have used instead? Or, do you feel that they shouldn't pick ANY hip-hop tune? (NO hip-hop and amps in drum corps?) Hey, lighten up - it's a spoof: it's FUNNY. Most audiences really laugh; apparently you don't.

I am very happy for the Crossmen kids because they have a worthwhile, competitive package this year; and the audiences truly ENJOY them. (Metheny opener; ELP closer). Their Radio component in the middle of their show is, and will continue to be, one of the more memorable and enjoyable productions on the field this year.

As you may've heard, they simulate a driver switching around to various radio stations while driving. On these different stations we hear them play pop (Sweet Caroline), classical (The Marriage of Figaro), jazz (Take Five....but ONLY five notes of it; as they didn't secure the rights to do more of it), hip-hop (My Humps), hispanic (into Caribe, the percussion feature), then smooth jazz (into Linda Eder's If I Had My Way). In between these varied snippets we hear the amplified narration of DJs, weather forecasters, sports announcers, a traffic reporter in a helicopter, etc. It is ALL very appropriate to the presentation; and extremely well-received by the audiences. The DJs connect the musical excerpts. Congrats to staff; great programming.

"The whole "Illinois beats Wisconsin!!1" thing is corny. Local touches generally are, see last year's Blue Devils disaster where one couple is always from the host city."

I disagree that the football thing is corny. As the football score is announced by the sports announcer, Crossmen quickly form a parade corps and march, big-ten style w/body sway, playing On Wisconsin. It is a hoot; MOST people (not you?) smile and laugh. IMO your coment "corny...local touches usually are" is wrong. They change the football scores to relate to the areas where they are performing; they also pick the nearest interstate highway when giving the traffic conditions. Is that corny and unacceptable to you too? Why don't you just tell them which interstate highway you prefer to hear announced?

"All in all, the narration didn't need to be there, it distracts you from the fact that the Crossmen are pretty darn good. The Cadets had their fingerprints all over this show."

WRONG! The narration DOES need to be there. It isn't ancillary; it's INTEGRAL. Without it, many in the audience would not successfully understand why the Crossmen put these tunes together. Have you ever tried to do humor/comedy in a drum corps show? If you have, then you know that it is VERY difficult to achieve. I commend the creativity and talent of this year's Crossmen staff for successfully bringing this worthwhile production to us.

Jim

ps Comparing local college football scores in Crossmen to BD's hometown dance couple is an inaccurate analogy. Nothing the BD YOWSA narrator said last year was going to save that show. The hometown dance couple reference didn't work because the BD show didn't work. The Crossmen production DOES work, and the local ball score simply contributes to it. Thank you Crossmen; memorable productions (not obscure, unknown, or invented music) is what brings drum corps fans back again. And you do it in a very classy way, without alienating those fans who dislike voice amplification. Very Smart![

When I saw the Crossmen standstill performance in Chesapeake a couple weeks ago, I was really disappointed in the Radio section of the show.

After listening to the Crossmen APD, I think it's humorous.

I would still prefer that it not be there. I think it drags on a little too long. I think it'd be absurd to understand without amps.

But, I think it's humorous.

Your problem at Chesapeake was likely because they were using Long Rangers for the audio. That is their back up plan if the weather is bad. They hadn't really practiced it that way. It definitely came out poorly. None of the volume settings were right. I'm not sure they were even all on.

Glad you got to hear the APD. Hopefully you'll get to see them live again.

I don't have any discussion for you, just weighing in with a thumbs up. I'm a new fan of the activity and have a kid who is marching corps this year (not Crossmen). Haven't seen the show live yet - only on Season Pass from Indy and the YouTube postings. I liked their show. I thought it was very clever, well-done and very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to seeing it live as I think it will really shine when live, and looking forward to watching this show as it progresses. Go Crossmen! Thanks for a very enjoyable show.

I'll reiterate my comments posted elsewhere and say that I love the Crossmen show this year, and I think the radio thing is hilarious. And perhaps even more important than my own personal viewpoint, my family loved the show and think Crossmen are the best thing since sliced bread; they hadn't been to a drum corps show in many years and just loved it. The Crossmen might not be meeting with the universal consistent approval of the year-in-year-out fans, but people who are going to a drum corps show for entertainment, the entertainment value of what they are attempting is undeniable.

I haven't laughed that hard at a drum corps show since VK was on the field. In fact, Crossmen are showing something that I think is a rare commodity in today's drum corps world: Personality. They have tons of it. And I felt personally involved in their performance...they sold it to me, at least, and I highly doubt I'm an exception.

I'll reiterate my comments posted elsewhere and say that I love the Crossmen show this year, and I think the radio thing is hilarious. And perhaps even more important than my own personal viewpoint, my family loved the show and think Crossmen are the best thing since sliced bread; they hadn't been to a drum corps show in many years and just loved it. The Crossmen might not be meeting with the universal consistent approval of the year-in-year-out fans, but people who are going to a drum corps show for entertainment, the entertainment value of what they are attempting is undeniable.

I haven't laughed that hard at a drum corps show since VK was on the field. In fact, Crossmen are showing something that I think is a rare commodity in today's drum corps world: Personality. They have tons of it. And I felt personally involved in their performance...they sold it to me, at least, and I highly doubt I'm an exception.

well put.

the same sandwich gets old after 10 of them.