A drum corps love letter

This my friends, is a true Madison Scout! A class act! Bravo!

As a disclaimer, just check my sig line. I'm obviously biased.

Having said that, I too have been disappointed in the Scouts shows recently. I haven't seen them yet this year, but from what I read and hear I'm not going to be particularly thrilled. I love the Scouts for their traditional entertainment value. As a former member it's an honor to have people come up to me when I have my corps jacket on and have them tell me how the Scouts are their favorite corps.

I wonder for how much longer that will continue.

Newseditor44, I like your statement that "loud, entertaining, fun, and flat out good" is what you expect from every corps. Well for me, it is no longer what I expect, but it's certainly what I want. I fear that the Scouts, in their noble pursuit of a Championship (or at least a top 3 finish), are being forced to adapt to the current style. A style I don't particularly like.

Regarding style: I was at Rockford last night. While "flat out good" was in abundance, "loud" and "entertaining" were in short supply. I long for the days when the opening fanfare blew my face off. I yearn for a corps to spontaneously jolt me out of my seat during the show. I won't complain about not recognizing the music. I don't think that's the real issue. (Heck, I had never heard Channel One Suite before I heard the Blue Devils play it either.) If there is a problem, I think it is a lack of general musicality with many corps today.) I also won't type a diatribe about the insidious evils of amplification, other than to say that for me the vocalization detracts from what I love about Drum Corps.

Back to the OP. I, like most veterans of any corps, will cheer loudly for the corps I marched with. And unlike many of today's kids, back in my day we all spent our entire career with one corps. So to you the Madison Scouts, you are like one of my children. I love you even when you are not at your best and even when you disappoint me. If I criticize your efforts, it is only out of a desire you to be both successful and entertaining.

Lastly...

"Tough balancing act" indeed. mchromik, I wish your views were universal. If they were I'd feel more confident about this year.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone else posted this in another thread, but I think it applies here:

Welcome to DCP. Opinions not welcome.

Doesn't it seem a bit closedminded to call another person's opinion closeminded? Especially when he (she?) backs up his opinion with a couple of paragraphs of evidence?

Just a thought.

P.S. I also hear Scouts used to be well-liked because of their respect for the activity and others. Would you say that you are a good example of being raised in the Madison Scout tradition?

I'll answer your question with a question...was this the appropriate thread for him to go on his little rant? I don't find it at all "close-minded" to call his opinion "close-minded". To have a one-sided view of a multi-faceted organization is indeed, close-minded.

ya know, we Scouts were taught to respect ourselves, our brothers, and the drum corps fans. We also were taught pride...pride in our corps, selves, and brothers.

Despite what you, or me, may think about the Scouts show this year, I think the original poster wrote a very classy, touching letter addressed to the current Scouts. Why other people have to come on and post negative comments completely ruined a very nice moment. Cant you let someone do something nice for a bunch of kids working hard to do their best?

agreed...and that's what upset me so much!

This my friends, is a true Madison Scout! A class act! Bravo!

lol because he agreed with you?? dude...it's obvious you've got an axe to grind...if you don't like it, that's fine...but quit acting like you know exactly how to fix everything. Truth is, unless something drastic happens in drum corps, those days are gone for awhile. Started to leave in '93-'94 actually. And what YOU like, may not be around for awhile. So you can shut up and enjoy it for what it is, or you can leave....! But if you're not in a position to change anything, then you just look like a jerk to come in a thread that's TRYING to create a positive, and rant about how much you hate the Scouts now. Well boo-f******-hoo...let's all throw you a pity party. Hey, why don't you go hate on the cadets for awhile...they helped this get to where it is. :)

Theres no lack of irony Im seeing in these posters who want Madison to emulate the content and entertainment value of the 90s shows. They did that and we see the result. 05's show was actually a step back towards those but was received very equivocally. MOST of the crticism of the Scouts Ive read over the past 3-5 years has been about their refusal to step out of the 90s.

Now that they have, some want them to go back! Fascinating.

This has nothing to do with the Madison "identity" or anything, just that the quality of music performed exponentially worse than what used to be performed, hence the lower quality of the product.

I hate to be negative here and I would really hate to stoop to your level, but I have got to get this off my chest. You may or may not have identified the corps you were/are involved with but you are definitely NOT involved in any way, shape, or form with the Madison organization. Who made you the expert on the "Madison identity?" I'd be hard pressed to listen to any argument that you have about what that just might be. The Madison Scouts have never had the competitive aspect as their number 1 goal. Sure, its nice to want that, but the experience is the true gold in this equation. The "Madison Identity" has more to do with off-the-field behavior than with what the corps does on the field.

Do yourself a favor and volunteer with the Madison Scouts for a season. All you would need is one day spent with this amazing organization to figure out that the "Madison identity" is still intact. In fact, it was never endangered. Please, get your facts straight before you hide behind the curtain of the internet.

I applaud the Scouts for trying to go out there and win one, but the show feels like it's missing something that I can't put a finger on. I'd wager that most of the midwestern fans, and fans in general, care more about being blown away by Madison's show than the numbers. Taking a photograph of the crowd on its feet mid-show...how cool is that?

Sorry Lynne, I agree too. I just had to get that off my chest.

Edited by InHiFiStereo