Glorious Comebacks

Any updates on these corps ??

Ductch boy: Will they ever become division I contenders again ??

Guardsmen: Their other half, the blue stars are doing well, any chance for a comeback ?

Freelancers: Winter drumline was out, any word on a corps ??

Troopers: Official word ??

~G~

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Freelancers: Winter drumline was out, any word on a corps ??

Considering we sold nearly all our horns and vehicles years ago, I wouldn't hold my breath. Tom Hope told me in 2002, IIRC, that we'd need a million dollars to field a corps again. Right. While I don't agree with that -- Div II/III corps? Hello? -- I think it's pretty indicative of the management's lack of enthusiasm for it. Setting a goal that's so far out of their reach makes for an easy excuse not to field a corps, IMO.

EDIT: Troopers, on the other hand... c'mon, guys. Go Div II/III if you have to, but a season without Troopers just ain't right.

Edited by MikeBob

Yes, VK does have a youth organization now, and they are actively recruiting. I saw their booth at the Bellflower show. I would imagine that if they fielded a corps again, Impulse would merge with them.

Awesome. I had no idea this was going on -- good stuff. I can just imagine the crowd reaction if those high-tops were to march onto the field again.

Troop has a new director (Mike Ottoes,) and have also recieved a vote of confidence from the DCI executive Committee (meaning the are preliminarily approved to rejoin DCI division 1 member status once again next year.)

So I can only assume that Troop is going to be on the field yet again next year.

~>conner

DCI has to restore Troopers' status, but they are doing everything they need to get back on the field. They are extremely fortunate to have the support of their community and their alumni.

Their executive director is Mike Ottoes, and their new Corps Director is Fred Morris.

<**>

Kilties - Last made DCI finals in 1978, DCA finalist in 1998.

<**> Hardly relevant, going from a junior corp to a (which is it now?) alumni/senior/all age corp using a recognized name does not count. Now if thwy had revived the junior corp-------

Mike

so I guess the Bridgemen don't count either.

<**>

~>conner

DCI has to restore Troopers' status, but they are doing everything they need to get back on the field. They are extremely fortunate to have the support of their community and their alumni.

Their executive director is Mike Ottoes, and their new Corps Director is Fred Morris.

Fred's a great guy, and if anyone can steer the Troopers in the right direction it would be him. Here's to seeing troop and Blue Stars back in Div I finals sometime soon.

<**>

<**> Hardly relevant, going from a junior corp to a (which is it now?) alumni/senior/all age corp using a recognized name does not count. Now if thwy had revived the junior corp-------

Mike

The cool thing is that it is a lot of the same guys that were in the junior Kilties that are now the senior Kilties

Last I remember a corps cannot compete in both DCI and DCA in the same year as per DCA rules. Yep - all age is all age.....

I know that the all-age corps I march in competes in DCI shows. We're in our own class, but we do compete. We even host a DCI show. And here we are, returning to compete at DCA Championships for a second year in a row.

Or, is the rule just referring to DCI Championships? As in, if a corps were to compete in Madison this year then DCA wouldn't allow them on the field in Rochester?

i heard kavies were supposed to be merging with teal sound this year but it didnt happen

Innnneteresting that they'd look to another merger to save themselves.

Yes, VK does have a youth organization now, and they are actively recruiting. I saw their booth at the Bellflower show. I would imagine that if they fielded a corps again, Impulse would merge with them.

I should hope that such a merger wouldn't happen. I'd rather see them head-to-head.

Kingsmen is strictly an alumni corps, although not strictly composed of Kingsmen alumni (like most alumni corps these days). There are already 5 junior drum corps in the Los Angeles area (Pacific Crest, Impulse, Mystikal, Gold, and Yamato). I don't think L.A. has room for another one.

The Kingsmen, as far as I know, were organizing the Kingsmen Star Corps, a junior corps slated to take the field in 07 or 08.