Interesting stuff on PR, BD and Cadets

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked his review. Coming from someone who actually seems to know a little about corps. He put alot of thought into his review. I am almost surprised some corporations haven't tried to put their name to a corps, as he was demonstrating with U.S. Cellular Regiment

From Madison Wisconsin, the Kraft Velveeta Scouts

From Orlando,The Walt Disney Magic

Wouldn't be surprised if this type of thing wasn't done in the near future actually.

Regiment has players who can ace the most complicated music in the drum corps world. But do the judges have the musical knowledge to appreciate all that is going on?

<Dustin Hoffman voice>

Bad form, Chuck! <**>

</Dustin Hoffman voice>

Edited by Maedhros

what an awesome article.

wish it was longer.

it is great to hear from someone who has witnessed the change of

the activity from the outside looking in.

his VIEW seems to at least mirror my take on this activity.

please note i said "my take" not everyones.

I liked his review. Coming from someone who actually seems to know a little about corps. He put alot of thought into his review. I am almost surprised some corporations haven't tried to put their name to a corps, as he was demonstrating with U.S. Cellular Regiment

Wouldn't be surprised if this type of thing wasn't done in the near future actually.

It already has been done. The Imperials of St. Patrick became Pioneer (after a brief stint as "The Thing").

Plus, did the Cadets once get an offer from Kmart to be corporate sponsered? And they turned it down because they would have had to become the "Kmart Cadets"? Or was that just a rumor like Bob Barker dying?

This was a great column. It's nice for once to see a normal newspaper article that's written by someone who knows something about drum corps, and it's not all gushing. Of course, the last time I saw a newspaper article like that, it was the Capital Times in Madison in August 2002, and the headline was, "Will the Scouts make it?".

This has actually been done before.

The Kiwanis Kavaliers were the "Tim Horton's Kiwanis Kavaliers" for a small portion of the 90's. Tim Horton's is the biggest coffee/donut store chain in Canada.

I'm quite surprised it hasn't happened more often, to be honest.

"The Cadets, based in Pennsylvania, performed a strange number I can only describe as Cirque du Soleil meets John Philip Sousa on LSD. It had to do with Jefferson Airplane’s 1967 hit, “White Rabbit.” This act featured a female singer and lots of acrobats in weird outfits. For more details, ask Alice — when she’s 10 feet tall." :worthy:

Chuck Sweeny is my new hero!

It's a good thing when someone not afiliated with Corps or the Drum Corps community can look at these Corps and provide their unbiased evaluation and thoughts on the Corps. This Reporter's comments on the Cadets show seemed like good feedback to the Cadets. The Reporter's analogy to an LSD Drug trip seemed appropriate. Cadets show designer Marc Sylvester brought up to his Cadets kids in the video on the Cadets website that he was tring to convey ( quote ) " this psychedelic trip feel " to the movement he wanted to teach them and to impart to the audience. To that extent the Cadets show designer, you have to acknowledge if we are fair about it, has been successful. This reporter ' got it ' with his first viewing too.

Edited by X DM

what an awesome article.

wish it was longer.

it is great to hear from someone who has witnessed the change of

the activity from the outside looking in.

his VIEW seems to at least mirror my take on this activity.

please note i said "my take" not everyones.

Chuck e-mailed me to say he's been a fan of drum corps for 30 years (he's not a regular or a drum corps nut, he's just seen some shows over the years) but he'd never written about drum corps until now. It's always interesting to hear what someone who understands music but isn't an avid fan thinks.

Regarding the previous poster's criticism of Chuck for questioning the judges: We have to accept their decision since they've been hired to do that job, but why shouldn't someone be able to question them?

We question the president, we question the football coach, we question the figure skating judges, we question just about everything in our society, etc. Some judges are great, some aren't. I think Chuck makes a valid point. For example, what makes "Joe Brass Performance Judge" qualified to critique/help/evaluate Cadets' hornline, who have Jay Bocook (among others) teaching them. (For those that don't know, Jay has been a very successful band director at the high school and college level since the '70s and has about 1 trillion or so marching band arrangements floating around out there.) What makes "Bob GE Music Judge" a better judge of what's a great music effect than Wayne Downey or #### Saucedo? There are a ton of other examples as there are many corps with fantastic musicians on their staffs. I'm not saying there aren't judges who are great musicians. I'm just saying that I think it's a valid argument.

It's also valid to argue that just because you're a great musician doesn't make you a great teacher, judge or arranger. It just makes you a great musician. And vice versa. Some people are better judges than teachers. And some instructors would suck as judges.