What's missing in today's shows?

Let's see... improved over the past ten years? Maybe less then a handful of corps, but 1999, 2000, 2001 finals nights sounded like a fomica countertop extravaganza!!! The last "true" snare sound came out of 1987 SCV when they were "prototyping" the kevlar heads for Remo. Hardimon tuned them well, and those who followed him should have gotten the "recipe" on how to tune those heads!!

:)

Is there a 'how to' on that anywhere? We will have a small snare line this first year and I'd like to get as full a sound as possible out of my (Dynasty) snares.

If anyone could do it it would be Ralph. He's a percussion god! :worthy:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sustained phrases of music..,

Too much "how many notes can we play in 5 seconds whilst marching at 220bpm across 250 yards of the field". I would LOVE for someone to come out and play 4 songs...

Opener

Concert

Ballad

Closer

Just my £0.02...

I see the good and bad comments on this board, but, what do you think would make certain shows better or more appealing.

Before we get started, I'm going to get the first thing that I think you are thinking:

Amps.

That said, try for something a bit more original! :P

Preferably, I would like to hear a closer that is "balls to the wall," with a little more drive to it (Madison 97, 98.)

Add thine own.

Most Corps do seem to have nice melody in their ballads. Those ballads are conducive to melody because they are played predominently at a slower cadence and beat, and the Corps in their ballad segment of their shows are generally not moving so swiftly drill wise. Today's Corps move rapidly in their drill as we all know. Once that movement beyond the ballad portion of the show takes place, it seems the melody is set aside for stacatto type note playing. This stacatto type of note playing is somewhat devoid oftentimes of what many call " melody " and is what seems to not be less appealing to many in the audience these days.... or so, it seems.

Retreats at the end of shows!!!

1. Retreats and encore by winning corp of their show music and maybe one other piece.

2. Kick ### in your face charts that are like the original, not watered down and add some emotion.

3. G bugles!

Retreats at the end of shows!!!

I remember bleeding to death during retreats from mosquito bites! ^0^ =mosquitos

But, it is nice to see all the corps together out on the field.

Presentation of the Colors. I know it's old fashioned and, to some, hokey, and I realize that in our modern sophistication we have moved away from such trite and restrictive requirements. But there was nothing more stirring than seeing the flag come across the field flanked by the full guard and accompanied by the sound of a powerful brass line. I'd give no small amount of money to see/hear Troopers do "Battle Hymn" one more time.