I noted in a mea culpa above that I forgot Blue Knights and Bluecoats

But I think it might be more wide open than just 12th at stake. Lots can happen. It might be ancient history, but remember in 1979 Crossmen were in solid 7th place 1 week before DCI and ended up 13th

It ain't over intil the fat lady sings ($0.02 to VK)

True, it seems like only spot 12 is open, but you don't know for sure until it's all over.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, it seems like only spot 12 is open, but you don't know for sure until it's all over.

I'm still not convinced that even the 12th spot is still open... Spirit's about 3 points up on the rest of the competition. "It's only the 12th of July," I know, I know... I still see it as no contest at the moment, unless some other corps surprises the #### out of us. And believe me, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some surprises!!! b**bs

In my opinion, 6 corps will compete for 11th and 12th: Crossmen, Blue Stars, Colts, Spirit, Glassmen and Capital Regiment. Glassmen and Capital Regiment will make the cut.

I'm still not convinced that even the 12th spot is still open... Spirit's about 3 points up on the rest of the competition. "It's only the 12th of July," I know, I know... I still see it as no contest at the moment, unless some other corps surprises the #### out of us. And believe me, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some surprises!!! b**bs

I agree that Spirit appears to have the edge right now.

Their weakness is visual. Some good stuff, but very dirty. The ballad also needs a LOT more movement. All of which are things that can be fixed.

Haven't seen Colts, Blue Stars, or Capital Regiment so can't comment on those shows and their potential to catch and pass Spirit.

I have my doubts about Crossmen; improved corps, entertianing show, but don't know if they can really beat Spirit yet this year. (I know they beat them once, but not sure they can consistantly.)

Its definitely true about it being a dog fight for top 12, but I, along with many others, are pulling for Blue Stars. I have a few friends marching, and I saw them at Indy, and let me say that I LOVED the show. It will be interesting in the next few weeks how things will play out at DCI Atlanta and San Antonio

Wow, this is such a great question. I LOVE that the competition for the 11th & 12th spot is going to be tight...

Here are my two picks, in no order:

Crossmen - The show is very crowd pleasing (The received the loudest reaction at the Westminister show) and I think they will be able to clean it up in just enought time.

Capital Regiment - They have grown solid in all three areas. Their guard has improved SIGNIFICANTLY! Being a brand new corps, I think it would be a LOUD statement for them to make finals. I will rooting hard for them

That said, the others are very good. I think that it is VERY exciting that there will be a reall cat-fight for finals. I think in the group could pull it out, depending on their performance.

This is exciting!!!

Has anyone done the math to see if it is possible for, say, a 5-way tie for 10th?

There are 9 judges, some w/ more points to give than others...I suspect it is possible, but highly unlikely, each corps would need identical scores but in different captions...

Very unlikely...but a two way tie for 12th isn't so unlikely...especially if these close scores hold on till Semis. I would love for this to happen, as there just too many deserving of performing on Saturday night.

1-11 spots are a lock. The only spot up for grabs is 12th.

Spirit has the 12th spot right now, and a top 12 caliber show. Someone will have to knock them out, they won't fall on their own. I see the Crossmen or Colts making that happen. Both have shows that can land in the big show, but they will need to clean up the act and TAKE Spirit's spot. That's just the way it works. The regionals will be big, and although there is about 30 days til finals, the move should be made sooner not later.

Honestly I can see Xmen or Colts falling to the Blue Stars or MAYBE Cap Reg, but I don't see either of those corps making finals this year.

Side note: a lot can happen in 30 days, with some good moves, hard work and some luck....anything can happen.

12th ......Hmmmm........Colts, Maybe Capital, Maybe Blue Stars (Haven't seen them yet).....

Won't put Spirit in this group quite yet.....with any cleaning at all....(based on what I saw at Hornell, NY)

Their dogfight will be a spot or so higher than 12th......11th maybe 10th.....

IMHO