Judging gripes by corps directors

I'd be happy to lend you a pair.

I'm sorry, but when you write things like that, and LINK to them from your orginization's web site, it becomes public. Then you slyly imply that you aren't getting the scores you think you SHOULD be getting, and while you don't say NAMES, you DO make it pretty easy to find out who you're talking about (come on, how much work does it take to find out who judged color guard and ensemble visual on the nights in question? Not much at all.), give me a break. There's only one possible conclusion.

I agree...but I still don't think he said anything out of line in this particular case.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree...but I still don't think he said anything out of line in this particular case.

I never said he was out of line. He has EVERY right to say whatever he wants!

I'm just pointing out that he is, in fact, whining and showing bad form.

From Hopkins' Blog:

"We have suddenly been pounded in ensemble visual for the use of the benches --- not by all judges but by two, and the guard --- well, one person on two different days has seen it in his mind to put one point spreads between

the Cadets and the top? Does anyone think the Cadets guard is one point from the top? Not for 15 years? and I would venture to say, not this year."

One other point: please read this carefully. No where is there ANY cut down of a judge. He is simply saying that all of a sudden they are getting beat up in some captions. He doesn't say the judge is stupid or call him unprofessional. He does ask the question about whether anyone can really believe that their guard is a point back, but again this is not a cut on any judge.

Folks, I am sorry but turning this into something it is NOT is just another way for many of you to cause trouble, to cry foul. Gosh, GH is such a horrible person I can hardly believe it. Hey, if you don't like the guy, fine, and if you don't like the direction he is going in, fine, but this is just trying to paint the picture a completely different color, and I am not buying it.

Yeah, Geluf - I'm SURE he's joking.

Edited by Storkysr

I'd be happy to lend you a pair.

I'm sorry, but when you write things like that, and LINK to them from your orginization's web site, it becomes public. Then you slyly imply that you aren't getting the scores you think you SHOULD be getting, and while you don't say NAMES, you DO make it pretty easy to find out who you're talking about (come on, how much work does it take to find out who judged color guard and ensemble visual on the nights in question? Not much at all.), give me a break. There's only one possible conclusion.

I still think you miss the point. Did he every ONCE say the judges were wrong? He asks a question about guard point spread, but did he once say they were wrong or that there was some bad reason for what they gave in terms of score? I don't see it. I see you people infering on your own with NO, NONE, ZILCH proof that he was purposely trying to nail those judges.

You just like to complain Geluf.

Same here. Do I think he was being critical of said judge? Absolutely. So what? Almost all of us can point to a show where we thought a judge scored our favorite corps a little too low.

lobbying for favorable judging panels has been part of the game since before DCI. Unfortunately. It's one of the reasons those at the top tend to stay at the top.

This just takes it to a new level.

I must disagree here. A judging panel doesn't keep the same corps on the top, top talent, a highly paid and qualified design team and fine teaching keep these corps on top. Your top 4 rarely changes because of this, not the judging.

BTW, Ask Ellen Simonetti what happened to her when she got fired by a "major airline" for the things she posted on a blog on journal space.

So, it just goes to show what can happen if you aren't careful.

I never said he was out of line. He has EVERY right to say whatever he wants!

I'm just pointing out that he is, in fact, whining and showing bad form.

Nah, obviously you have your Georges confused. It's George Dixon that's whining and showing bad form by attacking the two Indy judges. George Hopkins is just telling it like it is. He may be right, or he may be wrong, but I just don't see it as "whining".

Edited by Kamarag

I still think you miss the point. Did he every ONCE say the judges were wrong? He asks a question about guard point spread, but did he once say they were wrong or that there was some bad reason for what they gave in terms of score? I don't see it. I see you people infering on your own with NO, NONE, ZILCH proof that he was purposely trying to nail those judges.

You just like to complain Geluf.

Where's your proof that I'm "complaining" about this?

Not complaining, not at all. Again, I believe George has every right to say what he said, and I don't even think he was out of line.

But I won't call a spade anything other than a spade.

Edited by geluf

I must disagree here. A judging panel doesn't keep the same corps on the top, top talent, a highly paid and qualified design team and fine teaching keep these corps on top. Your top 4 rarely changes because of this, not the judging.

I don't altogether disagree. But it sure is nice when certain judges get booted off of big show panels, ain't it.