Husband & Wife Duet - SoCal Dream

Ralph and Holly Marino from Skyliners have a duet this year, I believe.

Fran

Yes, I wrote about the Ralph and Holly hubby/wife duet. It was a touching moment for me in Dover. I saw them clearly despite the sunglasses required in the pressbox in the vicinity of Fran's shirt.

Dan and Mary Wolford played a duet together 32 years ago. More info to follow elsewhere.

I'd like to read more here regarding couples in duets, musically or in guard work.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only I could have taught my wife flam drags and backsticking.......................................

I am half of one of those couples involved in Gulf Coast Sound's ballad trio. This is my second year marching with GCS. My last marching experience was on trombone way back in 1991. Funny thing is if it wasnt for Jenny, who is now my wife, needing a ride to practice that fateful day back in March of 2005 there is a good chance I wouldnt even be on the field.

It all started back in Feb of '05 at the TMEA convention. She had seen all the stuff at the DCI booth and it started the wheels turning. She remembered that there was a senior corps here in Houston because we had seen them in San Antonio at a DCI show several years back. Of course that was the old Bayou City Blues. After some searching around she came across the website for Gulf Coast Sound. She contacted them and got their information about practice locations, etc and asked me if I knew how to get there. At this point we were fairly new to Houston having just moved here about 6 months prior from Denton, TX. I had lived in Houston in the past and knew my way around fairly well so I offered to drive her to practice. I took along a book and I had plans of visiting the local Fry's electronics to wander around. Little did I know that my plans were going to be changed.

We arrived at the practice site and went up and introduced ourselves and were welcomed very warmly by the entire corps. After some brief small talk, one of the staff members asked me what I played. I told him that I played trombone back in high school but hadnt played since '91. He suggested that I sit in that day on baritone and see what they were about. Honestly, I had no intentions of joining this group that first day but something clicked when I started writing in those fingerings and when we went out on the field for basics, I was hooked.

This "family" that we joined back in March of '05 is one of the best things that has happened to us. I call them family because that is what we are. Its a lot of hard work but that rush that you get when you come off the field and the crowd is screaming makes it all worth it. The togetherness that we share as a corps is something that I wouldnt trade for anything. And I think that the bond between myself and my wife is only made stronger by this activity that we share. I probably dont tell her often enough, but I think I should thank her more often for getting me out to that first practice. Its definitely something that I am glad I didnt miss.

Thank you Jenny. And thank you to my GCS family for giving me the opportunity to become one of them.

Now....lets go turn some heads in Rochester and show them Yankees what drum corps in Texas is all about!!! ^0^

With the drill Bob wrote for us, I don't see any chance for a smooch.( but we added an elbow rub on the way into our spots smile.gif )

NOO!!! KEEP YOUR INTERVALS!!!

thats it. you are both "learning" jazz runs and high mark time next weekend. ^0^ :P

Not actually a duet but my husband played a baritone solo in Archer Epler's version of Black Saddle and I played the soprano solo. He played first and then I came in with mine. It was real nice. All of our friends in the audience thought it was so cute! Actually it just worked out that both of us played the solos and it was not planned as a Bob and Robbie thing. :blink:

Ooh! Hubby & wife duet.........I like that idea!! I've had a solo for the last 3 years (including this year), and Hef was in a quintet last year, but we haven't had the opportunity to shine together. Oh Jim.............are you listening??? A Contra and Sop duet........nice idea for next year!!!

Yep, Golden Statesmen 1974 for sure, I can't remember if Mary and I had a duet in 1975 or not but we didn't march much that year either.

Been married 32 years this summer and marching again for the last 5 but this is the first time we have had a duet since the good ole days.

With the drill Bob wrote for us, I don't see any chance for a smooch.( but we added an elbow rub on the way into our spots :) )

Dan and Mary,

Then Bob, Darkman et al. just need to change that drill. Adding a mere elbow rub? Ya' gotta be more dramatic than that.

It's been awhile, but MBI's fabulous duo of Roger Grupp and his wife Tina Cavitt have done a number of duets over the years.

A pair of better people and musicians will be tough to find anywhere, but I GUESS I'm biased..Only known them for 35 years. :P

Pat

I remember some fine duets by Roger and Tina. Great couple. Fantastic musicians.

Dan and Mary,

Then Bob, Darkman et al. just need to change that drill. Adding a mere elbow rub? Ya' gotta be more dramatic than that.

I remember some fine duets by Roger and Tina. Great couple. Fantastic musicians.

This is one of the areas that we are looking at visually.....no worries!!!!

Hey, thanks, Pat (Goalie Guy) for the kind words. I just noticed this thread.

The last duet Tina and I played in MBI was in 1999, but Hank the Wad was in on it, too. I guess that's a TRIO! But Tina and I did play up front together at the end of one of the EWF songs. I really liked doing that. And we usually kissed after the duet. At DCM finals Tina kissed Hank, too. That hussy! (Hank)