Some Historical Tidbits

Ummm... not trying to be difficult, but...

I think I have a plaque saying that Madison won percussion ensemble at I&E in 1988...

Honest mistake, but that moment was priceless.

Hey, it must be a convergence of "Tidbits," as today's Fanfare column on DCI.org is titled "Canadian Tidbits." Anyone care to expand/expound on their tidbits for a future Fanfare column? If so, please send it to me at boomike@dci.org. Thank you.

I think I have a plaque saying that Madison won percussion ensemble at I&E in 1988...

Hey, fair enough.. I thought that they won, but I guess my tour memory is not 100%. It WAS 18 years ago! (shudder)

I know they did really well that year... I wonder where they did finish... is there any way to find out?

BTW... congrats on winning I&E (and DCI!)

Thanks for screwing up a good story. :)

Credited as being the first touring corps, the Cadets traveled three weeks by bus to Los Angeles in 1950 for one single show, to defend their Legion title. That tour ended on a dramatic note, when the corps' bus broke down in Wagon Mound, New Mexico, on the way home. Owing to a dispute between corps members and locals, the whole corps was run out of town at gunpoint.

:rock: ... would be great to hear more about that. Sounds like quite a story!

Yeah, I would love to hear more about the Cadets 1950 trip to LA and back, with them being run out of town at gun point in New Mexico.

My mother-in-law has a great story about my (now) husband when he was marching in the Scouts.

He was at work one day and had to run home grab is uniform and get to a stand still proformance at a local business.

He ran in and quickly threw on his uniform pants/shirt and grabbed the rest of the uniform pieces and his horn and ran out the door.

On his way out the door he told his mom that if anyone called to let them know he was on his way.

A few minutes later the phone rang and his mom answered. The person on the other end said, "Hello, I'm so and so from the corps and I'm looking for Don."

She said, "Oh, he just left. He's all dressed in his uniform and will be there in just a few minutes."

The other person then said with some confussion, "Oh he's already dress in his uniform?"

She said, "Yes, you are from the corps right?"

To my mother-in-law's surprise he said, "I'm from the Marine Corps. We were calling see if Don was interested in joining."

• Like 1