Some Historical Tidbits

I just ran across this on Drum Corps Wiki as I was reading a little of what has been posted about the various corps. This clip caught me off guard, especially the part about being run out of town at gun point in 1950. Wow. Neat stuff.

Courtesy of Drum Corps Wiki

----------------------------------

The Cadets, based in Bergenfield, New Jersey, was organized in 1934 as the Holy Name Cadets by Charles Mura and Michael Koeph, along with Rev. Edwin Garrity. The corps became one of the top three corps in the country almost immediately. They won their first national championship, the American Legion Nationals, in 1940. Between 1940 and 1964 the Cadets won ten Legion crowns, more than any other junior corps, retiring the championship trophy twice (meaning they twice won three times in a row). And they captured the National Dream Championships from 1949 through 1954.

World Drum Corps Hall of Famer Arthur J. Mura played snare with the corps from 1937 to 1950.

Credited as being the first touring corps, the Cadets traveled three weeks by bus to Los Angeles in 1950 for one single show, to defend their Legion title. That tour ended on a dramatic note, when the corps' bus broke down in Wagon Mound, New Mexico, on the way home. Owing to a dispute between corps members and locals, the whole corps was run out of town at gunpoint.

In 1958, the sponsoring church declined to underwrite further travel, and it kept the uniforms and instruments when the corps disbanded. The corps members thereupon individually bought their own uniforms, paid for their own transportation, and borrowed horns from the Cavaliers to compete in Legion Nationals in Chicago. They became the Garfield Cadets in 1958 under new sponsorship.

On a lighter note, a 1958 LP record entitled "John Philip Sousa's Greatest Marches" featured a full-color photo of the Garfield Cadets.

The Cadets appeared in the movie "Crazy Joe" in 1974.

--------------------------

This is some interesting stuff. Please feel free to add some amazing stories about a corps, or staff, or perhaps your most bizare experiences in corps.

I know that one of my funniest experiences ever was at DCI North in 1993, in Yipsilanti I think, and 3 of my buddies traveled with me to the show. One of the guys was a HUGE Phantom fan, and he loved their show that year. Of course, we all did, but we used to get our digs in with him for fun. Well, while watching other corps at the show, we met two other guys from the midwest who were sitting behind us. They would talk about all kinds of things inbetween the corps, and they were funny as all heck. I mentioned to one of them that my one buddy was a big Phantom Phan, and they were too, but they decided to have some fun with him. In between each of the corps they started adding cute little stories about what Phantom's show was about (which it was obvious none of these things had anything to do with their show). But they made it so funny (they were improvising and it was amazing), that at some point you could see my buddy turning purple. We ignored them to pull off the effect, but our Phantom friend could not ignore the stories and was becoming irritated. These guys would say things like "Did you know that Phantom's entire show is based on boxes?" "Oh, no, I didn't know that, but I do know they pay tribute to some dead movie composer who never made it big time. I hear it's killing their GE, because none of the judges know the music." "Yeah, I also heard that the boxes represent anit-curvilinear bias and are meant to scold the judges for allowing such nonsense in a show." "Yeah, I guess the judges hate them this year."

Of course, they were kidding, and these quotes are just some of the things I remember, although I doubt they were said exactly like that, BUT it was soooooo funnny. In between each corps they would add something until finally before Phantom took the field my buddy had to turn around and tell them to shut up and enjoy the show. We all laughed, as did the people around us who caught on quickly what they were up to, and my buddy soon realized he had been had.

Phantom was great that evening and it was clear they were going to make a run at things. I wish I knew who those guys were, but they were hilarious.

Jonathan

Edited by jwillis35

Ok, here's one...

In 1988 at the Canton show, our pit was staging their stuff prior to the show. There was a guy there from Cavies guarding their pit equipment. Well, he sees us and plays the first few notes from Mary Had a Little Lamb on the xylophone, mocking our show from that year.

Without missing a beat, our whole pit launched into Firebird Suite (Cavies 88 show) (Our pit won percussion ensemble at I&E that year playing Firebird).

Needless to say the Cavie was, um, how do the kids say it?

pwned.

• Like 1

<burp>

Excuse me.

DCP Hiccup

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum

The Cadets appeared in the movie "Crazy Joe" in 1974.

That was in the post-Godfather era of Mafia movies that came out like seemingly every week. The title charater was played by Peter Boyle...better known as Raymond's dad on Everyone Loves Raymond and Frankenstein's monster in Young Frankenstein.

The corps was the 'band' for a politcal rally that got shot up by some Mafiosa.

CMCC Warriros appeared in Richard Priors movie Brewsters Millions

Hope no one thought that's what DC sounds like :worthy: as they played a sucky verion of Take Me Out to the Ball Game.

Friend swears he saw MBI or another corps in Redfords "Electric Horseman". Can't bring myself to rent it just to check. :sshh:

Ok, here's one...

In 1988 at the Canton show, our pit was staging their stuff prior to the show. There was a guy there from Cavies guarding their pit equipment. Well, he sees us and plays the first few notes from Mary Had a Little Lamb on the xylophone, mocking our show from that year.

Without missing a beat, our whole pit launched into Firebird Suite (Cavies 88 show) (Our pit won percussion ensemble at I&E that year playing Firebird).

pwned.

...One of the most classic Drum Corps moments EVER. I'll never forget that reaction. This guy plucks the melody from Mary Had a Little Lamb on his zylophone, and our ENTIRE pit busted out with like a 5 minute, kick butt arrangement of Firebire Suite. It seemed like they just kept playing and playing, the dynamics were enough to give goose bumps. I wish everybody on DCP could have seen this. I wonder if any Cavies pit members remember?

• Like 1

Ok, here's one...

pwned.

That is ownage. Wow. Thread over, mods can close it now.

Edited by Gentleman Marcher
  • Like 1

And to be fair, I must crack back on my own...

My rookie year of 87 the legendary Frank T Williams would ALWAYS ##### and complain about a certain corps' (that won brass in 86) contra line, saying that you couldn't hear them even thought they spent half the show kneeling on the front sideline (his words, if you know Frank, you understand)

Fast forward to somewhere in Indiana maybe in 88...

We are in horn arc and Frank asks us if we had heard Star's contras the night before. Remembering how he used to bust on the other corps, I shout out NO!.

Frank: "Well, that's why you suck. That's the best contra line I have EVER heard."

Me: Shrinkage

And to be fair, I must crack back on my own...

My rookie year of 87 the legendary Frank T Williams would ALWAYS ##### and complain about a certain corps' (that won brass in 86) contra line, saying that you couldn't hear them even thought they spent half the show kneeling on the front sideline (his words, if you know Frank, you understand)

Fast forward to somewhere in Indiana maybe in 88...

We are in horn arc and Frank asks us if we had heard Star's contras the night before. Remembering how he used to bust on the other corps, I shout out NO!.

Frank: "Well, that's why you suck. That's the best contra line I have EVER heard."

Me: Shrinkage

####, Marwan. I forgot all about that! You have the tour memory from ####.

• Like 1

Ok, here's one...

pwned.

Ummm... not trying to be difficult, but...

I think I have a plaque saying that Madison won percussion ensemble at I&E in 1988...