What No Clifton Review?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review. Things are really heating up.

And it was great seeing Carolina Gold make it up for a second show in July!!!

Dave

Dave,

It was nice to be in NJ again...yes really. With these trips, I get to give the folks on my bus...mainly percussionist...the "Turnpike Tour". Yes I've been razzed about some of the sites, but they will all remember the beautiful view of the NY skyline on the way home from Clifton. Priceless....

Judy

It was great to have you guys up for the Grand Prix, I hope you had a good time. The show is really coming around we had lot of good comments about the corps.

I’m glad you had an uneventful trip home, see you during the season.

Alan,

Carolina Gold had an awesome time in Clifton...even though we drove around the stadium a few times trying to find the parking lot..my fault.

It was great to hear stories from our members and staff who are Cadet, Crown and Crossmen alumni remembering performing in the stadium also had many who marched in Bush, Sky, Cabs and Bucs exchanging stories. The Clifton stadium is one of those historic drum corps places where many have performed and will perform again either in the same corps or another.

Thanks for the opportunity to travel to NJ this past weekend. We had a fabulous trip.

Best wishes to you and Cabs over the next six weeks.

See you in Rochester.

Great review!

I agree with you...our funk isn't funky enough...yet. That's the fun of playing a book like ours...style is everything. The parts of the show we're playing stylistically well are a bug hit with the audience and the judges (What is Hip?) and the parts that we're not quite there yet (Toad's) are a bit of a struggle. We've made great strides since Dover, and we'll continue to improve over the coming weeks.

As for the pit-bound soloists, I thought a little explanation is in order. We have two soloists that are in the pit for most of the show.

Paul Rowe (who actually does march the first seven pages or so while another soloist plays in the opening duet) is our brass caption head. When you have a musician of his caliber, you don't waste it, even if that means he doesn't march much. It's really hard to clean music when your caption head is on the field.

John Gifford (the one you mentioned who was not in a uniform) is one of our visual staff members. Again, it's a matter of using your resources. How do you clean drill when you are marching a spot? As for his lack of uniform, he wasn't the only one. You may have noticed that the cymbal line and one or two other brass players had no real uniform top either. That's what happens when you grow as fast as Gold has. The uniforms are coming, and we'll have the whole corps "clothed" by the Charlotte DCI show at the end of the month. Heck, the drum majors only this weekend got out real uniforms! (thank god, too....I felt like a sausage with my really tight uniform at Dover).

We actually have several staff members performing on the field this summer. It goes with the territory of building a corps. Eventually, Gold will get to a point where it's not necessary, but for now it is to put the absolute best product on the field.

On a related note, I want to give a public "Thank You" to the Reading Buccaneers for allowing us to use thier drum major podium at Clifton. Special thanks go to Kim Tapper and Hank Manfra for making sure it was where it was needed as we took the field.

You got to touch THE Josh Decker podium? Ooooooooooooooooooooooh. :P

Great to hang out with you, Josh, and the whole DM crew before retreat. Get more jokes ready!

You got to touch THE Josh Decker podium? Ooooooooooooooooooooooh. :P

Great to hang out with you, Josh, and the whole DM crew before retreat. Get more jokes ready!

"Thank you, Clifton!" - Josh Decker, rock star

Josh was pretty fired up at the Clifton show. I thought for a moment there he might collapse the platform!!!!

Fran

Nice review ... thanks!

The show was very nice too ... great weather panned out by the evening and everyone put on a TERRIFIC performance! My only concern was prior to the show, there were various corps members trying to get in to retrieve items left in the shower or simply to get something to eat, but they were denied access inside. This definitely needs to be fixed for upcoming shows because of the difficult parking situation in Clifton, it's VERY hard to walk WAY back to the car to get an item just to walk in for a minute to pick up a hot dog.

Thanks again for a great show and here's to all corps' seasons getting better and better in 2006!

My only concern was prior to the show, there were various corps members trying to get in to retrieve items left in the shower or simply to get something to eat, but they were denied access inside. This definitely needs to be fixed for upcoming shows because of the difficult parking situation in Clifton, it's VERY hard to walk WAY back to the car to get an item just to walk in for a minute to pick up a hot dog.

Lisa,

You have NO IDEA what you are asking. Security at that gate before the show is a matter of national security. Everyone knows that terrorists have plotted for decades on how to infiltrate the Clifton locker rooms and sausage stand.