The Cadets

It seems like more and more the people I talk to and the reviews I read, they always start out with a disclaimer "I used to be such a big Cadets fan" "Im such a big Cadets fan, but..." "I love the Cadets, but this is just too (fill in blank) "

Have they, as an organization, gone too far ? Inovation is one thing, its fun, its scary but tremendously rewarding to watch it happen.

Cadets , historically have been on the forefront of inovation and activity reforming for over twenty years.

This show seems like its just to out there or weird just for the sake of being "out there" and "weird" and design wise, they have come up with a klunker, alienating a large group of fans everywhere they perform.

We can pretend its not true but even those that defend this show see the responses in the stadiums.

Have they gone too far ? Can they bring those fans, both die-hard and borderline, back into the fold ??

Isnt enough enough ??

~G~

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you meant to post this in the junior forum

the cadets still are the cadets, regardless of the show package their designers have put together for them. they are still among the best performers in dci. kudos to them!

although a corp is never out of the battle for the title, i happen to think the cadets are virtually out of the running this year and will not win. frankly, i thought the whole idea of them being "out there" and "weird" just to be "out there" and "weird" started last season. this show, like its prequel is not typical, obviously, but i feel is way too off the map to be a championship calibre show idea.

bring back the simple show ideas to go with new and challenging drill and that in your face sound they still have.

Is this post from last summer or this summer? Seriously, I remember seeing similiar posts last summer....and we all know what happened. Let's give it a few weeks. I am sure if The Cadets end up in 5th or 4th they will re-evaluate the situation, but I'm thinking they might do better and have a great finals. Doesn't help that the competition is so keen this season....we'll see.

Well, atlantasean, I think that George has decided that esoteric is the way to go. From 01-04 he complained that when the Cadets tried to play to the crowd, the judges would look the other way. Last year he went weird and won. So I think that it's not a matter that a simple show will necessarily do well, but there's probably other stuff going on. Maybe he needs to see just how far he can push the envelope so he can see what works. (a la SCV 80?)

The Cadets' show this year obviously has many detractors, but it also has many supporters. It may drive some fans away permanently, at least from the Cadets, but then again, it may very well bring in new drum corps fans who dig what they're doing.

All I'm saying is that it's far, far too early to speculate (with any accuracy) as to the fallout from this year's show, much as we'd all like to do so.

Anything is possible, but I'm not their biggest fan at the moment. I've tried to give this show a chance. I really have. I'll give it one more shot in Atlanta for the Season Pass, but if it irks me again...I will get a hot dog when I goto Allentown...