madison ripped off in San Antonio?

In music performance they are around 6th. In the Visual captions and GE they are around 10-11th. To sum up, in the objective captions they are doing ok. IN the subjective they are doing worse.

Well in Visual Performance they scored 10th and Visual Ensemble they were 12th. Vis. Performance definitely is not "subjective,"as it is mostly based on performance (hence the title fo the caption), and Vis. Ensemble is at least partially based on performance. Guard was also 12th. In fact, they scored slightly better in GE than the visual caption (10th in both vis. and music, with at least a .2 spead on 11th place corps; in Vis. Perf. they had only a .1 spread on no. 11.

Plus, in Brass and Music Ensemble they are in a 'solid' 10th place. Percussion they scored 7th.

So really, percussion is their strongest Caption, and the ONLY caption they scored higher than 10th. So saying that "music performance" is "around 6th" is just wrong, no matter how you look at it. They seem to be a solid 10th place corps (at least at this point) across the board, with the exception of percussion.

Nothing wrong with that, especially this year. A lot of strong competition across the board; though I can understand if fans are disappointed after their strong showing last season.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in Visual Performance they scored 10th and Visual Ensemble they were 12th. Vis. Performance definitely is not "subjective,"as it is mostly based on performance (hence the title fo the caption), and Vis. Ensemble is at least partially based on performance. Guard was also 12th. In fact, they scored slightly better in GE than the visual caption (10th in both vis. and music, with at least a .2 spead on 11th place corps; in Vis. Perf. they had only a .1 spread on no. 11.

Plus, in Brass and Music Ensemble they are in a 'solid' 10th place. Percussion they scored 7th.

So really, percussion is their strongest Caption, and the ONLY caption they scored higher than 10th. So saying that "music performance" is "around 6th" is just wrong, no matter how you look at it. They seem to be a solid 10th place corps (at least at this point) across the board, with the exception of percussion.

Nothing wrong with that, especially this year. A lot of strong competition across the board; though I can understand if fans are disappointed after their strong showing last season.

I admit, I was surprised the brassline took 10th place. Again, wasn't there, didn't see it on Season Pass, haven't talked to anyone. Still, I was surprised.

IMO, you can expect Madison to fall behind Glassmen as well.

Well thank you for sharing!

nah, shrug it off...he's always had a bias against the Scouts...don't know why, but he kinda exhudes a bit of hate towards Scouts....has for years...he's got somethin against them, but oh well. I'm not worry about what he thinks...lol He also predicted Scouts behind BK and Glassmen in Dallas, but that, of course, didn't happen...

nah, shrug it off...he's always had a bias against the Scouts...don't know why, but he kinda exhudes a bit of hate towards Scouts....has for years...he's got somethin against them, but oh well. I'm not worry about what he thinks...lol He also predicted Scouts behind BK and Glassmen in Dallas, but that, of course, didn't happen...

I know who he is. Always chimes in. Right now, there's no way to know who is going to end up where. I still have hopes the Scouts will get this sucker of a show under control, but I had thought that process would be in full swing at this point, whereas it seems like it has yet to get under-way.

I know who he is. Always chimes in. Right now, there's no way to know who is going to end up where. I still have hopes the Scouts will get this sucker of a show under control, but I had thought that process would be in full swing at this point, whereas it seems like it has yet to get under-way.

I agree...they appeared to be on the fast track...what happened in SA was, in my opinion, inexcusable...I don't know who had what shoved where, but scores that low are ridiculous from the judges. No way there was that kind of change in just a couple of days since the Dallas show. Oh well, I certainly have faith that they'll right the ship and end up placing much better than this past weekend, but like you said, I expected that to happen before now.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I agree...they appeared to be on the fast track...what happened in SA was, in my opinion, inexcusable...I don't know who had what shoved where, but scores that low are ridiculous from the judges. No way there was that kind of change in just a couple of days since the Dallas show. Oh well, I certainly have faith that they'll right the ship and end up placing much better than this past weekend, but like you said, I expected that to happen before now.

Well I doubt very much their placement was wrong in San Antonio. I've just always had a problem with the lower-tiered corps getting lowballed when it comes to scoring. The judges judge in boxes and should be able to provide accurate numbers (scores) and accurate places. That's why I don't buy the "to leave room above" argument. It's not far to those corps to have larger spreads than should be. You don't go from 4 points down one day to 9 the next. It's not possible. Again, 10th place I can agree with...that much of a spread, I find hard to believe. Unless of course, it was 9 points consistently.

Edited by gellio

I could not see drill very much, but they did move fast and a lot. I would say the bigger issue to me was the lack of musical punch this year. I just felt flat after seeing it twice. It was played very well, but the excitment of the typical Madison sound and musical book was missing. No screamer soloists which got me interested in DCI in the late 80's and no paint peeling Madison moments. It was decent, but the field around them has gotten a lot better and the corps 1-12 have very big bold sounds. I guess i just didn't hear anything that set them apart. Now did they deserve an 81.something? No but i could see that scoring 12 corps and getting the right musical spreads is hard and because of doing that a corps like Spirit dropped out of the 80's altogether as well. So yeah it was probably a little low but placed in the right place. By the way I enjoyed the #### ut of both the 95 and 96 shows. Great soloists!!! i have to say though I loved th 97 program as well. Good corps.

WEsley Perkins

BK 97 '98