madison ripped off in San Antonio?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the evening scores for the 4 afternoon corps performing in the evening show are a fluke. I would consider the Scouts at more like an 84-85 level, but I do agree with them being behind the Knights, by a small margin.

Seems about right to me...Madisons visual (while risk-taking) is still awfully dirty, and the brass book seems a little flat.

Phantom seems to have come into its own these past few days as they are wringing every last bit of GE out of the show, so I dunno if they're a good barometer to measure the Scouts against right now.

They also had an 83.65 at the San Antonio afternoon show. It's not uncommon for corps to drop in the night show. Also PR had a new ending that show.

I have not seen Scouts show - only heard it, and seriously can't believe that they are 10th based on music. From what I've read the visual show is pretty hard, so it might not be that clean. Also, the guard is getting their butt handed to them, while perc. is top 6.

So - a new ending for PR, plus their #1 perc. and a killer brass book, added with Scouts poor guard scores = the point differential. Just my opinion.

Andy

They also had an 83.65 at the San Antonio afternoon show. It's not uncommon for corps to drop in the night show. Also PR had a new ending that show.

I have not seen Scouts show - only heard it, and seriously can't believe that they are 10th based on music. From what I've read the visual show is pretty hard, so it might not be that clean. Also, the guard is getting their butt handed to them, while perc. is top 6.

So - a new ending for PR, plus their #1 perc. and a killer brass book, added with Scouts poor guard scores = the point differential. Just my opinion.

Andy

In music performance they are around 6th. In the Visual captions and GE they are around 10-11th. To sum up, in the objective captions they are doing ok. IN the subjective they are doing worse.

Corps avergaes always drop for the afternoon corps. I know in 2002 when Colts made the evening show in Indy, we dropped a point or so.

I don't think anything is fishy at all. You can't compare Phantom and Madison over one night and know what the deal is. Was Madison's score lowballed? I'd like to think so! Was Phantom's score inflated? It's doubtful. We see this all the time and I think, quite frankly, that it's ######## that the lower corps seem to get lowballed score wise. I mean, there is no logical reason for it. When Madison performed, the judges knew Cavies and BD were going to score in the lower 90's. The judges also knew that Phantom, Cadets, and Blue were going to score in the upper 80s/lower 90s. That argument that they lowball the lower corps to leave room is kakaboody ########! If Corps A deserves 10th place and a score of 85, they should get it. It's incompotence....and quite frankly DCI is getting boring and I'm a firm believer in slotting. That being said, I rarely ever disagree with finals placements, but the fun of a corps coming from behind (ala Star '90, Cadets '92, SCV '97) has been sucked right out of this activity. I still think SCV has the show to knock off a couple corps above them...but will that happen? It's doubtful.

I do question the huge drop and the spread between Madison and BK/Boston/and company, but maybe that had a really bad show finals night - the reviews in the review section seem to concur with that theory.

I just hate how the lower corps are always lowballed. I mean in 1988 12 points separated the top 12. Now, it seems like the judges have to make it 20. I know it was about 13 Saturday night, but I feel the 10th - 12th corps were probably lowballed score wise. I mean Madison beat Boston by 1.5 a few nights ago and now they are 3-4 behind. Doesn't make sense to me, unless they had a really bad show. Then again, we never see Cavies, BD, or Cadets experience such drastic drops in score. Why? Because they carry the names Cavies, BD and CAdets. Don't get me wrong - I still think these are the three far and out best corps in the activity, but surely even they have off nights.

Edited by gellio

I don't think anything is fishy at all. You can't compare Phantom and Madison over one night and know what the deal is. Was Madison's score lowballed? I'd like to think so! Was Phantom's score inflated? It's doubtful. We see this all the time and I think, quite frankly, that it's ######## that the lower corps seem to get lowballed score wise. I mean, there is no logical reason for it. When Madison performed, the judges knew Cavies and BD were going to score in the lower 90's. The judges also knew that Phantom, Cadets, and Blue were going to score in the upper 80s/lower 90s. That argument that they lowball the lower corps to leave room is kakaboody ########! If Corps A deserves 10th place and a score of 85, they should get it. It's incompotence....and quite frankly DCI is getting boring and I'm a firm believer in slotting. That being said, I rarely ever disagree with finals placements, but the fun of a corps coming from behind (ala Star '90, Cadets '92, SCV '97) has been sucked right out of this activity.

I do question the huge drop and the spread between Madison and BK/Boston/and company, but maybe that had a really bad show finals night - the reviews in the review section seem to concur with that theory.

I just hate how the lower corps are always lowballed. I mean in 1988 12 points separated the top 12. Now, it seems like the judges have to make it 20. I know it was about 13 Saturday night, but I feel the 10th - 12th corps were probably lowballed score wise. I mean Madison beat Boston by 1.5 a few nights ago and now they are 3-4 behind. Doesn't make sense to me, unless they had a really bad show. Then again, we never see Cavies, BD, or Cadets experience such drastic drops in score. Why? Because they carry the names Cavies, BD and CAdets. Don't get me wrong - I still think these are the three far and out best corps in the activity, but surely even they have off nights.

Spoke to a mom of a Scout Saturday. They had a great show. Or so they thought.

Spoke to a mom of a Scout Saturday. They had a great show. Or so they thought.

Well I can only go by the reviews in the review section, because I haven't talked to anyone. The consensus seems to be that they deserved 10th, and I don't think any of those reviewers have bias against them.

I think the problem this year is they bit off more than they could chew. It's like the over-compensated for the fact that they had shows (the last two years) that peaked early. Adding some difficulty would have been nice, but a couple of my friends said that the design is great, but it's almost as if it was designed to be extremely difficult for the sake of being extremely difficult. And with that being the case it is bringing down their scores across the board. And the guard - who knows what is going on there?

It's interesting and I'm very excited to see everyone (except THE CORPS THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED). <**> I think we have some really great competition and I hope the Scouts get their poop in a group quick, because there are some good units behind them.

I really thought they were going to clean this sucker up and make a run at 4th, but I'm not thinking so now. It would have begun to happen already and 10th place is a sure sign it isn't going to happen.

Edited by gellio

I'm not a drum corps professional or even a music professional, but I do love to watch the shows. I was at the San Antonio show and I have always loved watching Madison. Heck I even have a Madison CD qued up in my truck right now.

Regardless of the scores on Sat, I thought they sounded great, but looked very sloppy. I thought they cleaned up the marching a little bit in the evening show (which may be contrary to what the scores point to). I was a little sad to see them sloppy because as I have said before here, they sound so good! I liked listening to them, I just wished they had been cleaner.

Here's to Madison Scouts...I hope they do well.

Edited by paultxsa