When we went from 128 to 135...

not sure if its been covered..

perhaps a corps can have a Big Brother/Little Brother effect with some corps...

but i believe cadets/xmen work like this in a way.. from what i heard, they audition together.. those who arent picked up at cadets, usually go to xmen

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if its been covered..

but i believe cadets/xmen work like this in a way.. from what i heard, they audition together.. those who arent picked up at cadets, usually go to xmen

Everything I've heard points that as being completely incorrect, and nothing more than a rumor. The people who march with Crossmen are there because they chose to march with Crossmen, not the Cadets.

I didnt see the difference, I was having a great time every summer...I was seeing the country, being treated well, fed well and taught well...thats all that was important to me.

Exactly. I mean, do the math. The VAST majority of kids who have marched never won a title, never made Top 6. Most never even make finals. The activity HAS to offer more than that or why have all these kids been doing this all these years. The corps themselves have to realize that none of them survive if kids are only in it to win the championship. I sincerely hope that they are sharing their audition rosters, that they are referring kids who are cut to other corps, that they are encouraging kids to try Div II/III and/or lower tier Div I corps. And DCI and all of us should be figuring out ways to do these things EVEN BETTER. It's not easy, and it won't be solved in this thread today, but there are too many kids who want to be involved in this activity for us not to do everything we can to give them a hand (even if it's only thinking out loud with suggestions on DCP :) ).

I think this might be the crux of the problem here...

We need to discover why talented kids who have an interest in corps DO sit out the summer...

I would imagine these are our "usual suspects:"

Can't afford it.

School/College-related (must take summer courses, etc)

Don't know enough about other corps.

OK, well, from the perspective of a potential corps member, here's why, in my case anyway.

It's my dream to march Phantom Regiment. I would go into detail about this but it doesn't help make my point. The point is, a summer of Regiment is unbelievably expensive for a college kid who's parents aren't just busting with money and enthralled with drum corps. In other words, most of the fees would be coming a)out of my pocket or b)from sponsorships. I've worked my butt off this summer saving over 90% of everything I earn towards this goal. I'll probably have enough for most of one season when it's all over and I start school.

I age out in 2009. If I audition this fall, and don't make the line, what am I gonna do? Spend all my money on a semi-finalist corps? Then what happens in 2008 if I DO make the line? As much as I hate hate hate the thought of spending one more season on the sidelines next summer, I also don't love the idea of using the "Phantom Phund" all up and not even making it into the line yet.

I know a lower-placing corps would give me valuable experience, a blast of a summer, etc. But I hope you guys are seeing where I'm coming from anyway.

So why do talented kids with an interest in corps sit out the summer? It's not summer classes-I've kept my schedule free. It's not a lack of knowledge- I was the resident DCI dork at my (large) high school and I read like every article they ever made on dci.org. It's finances. If money grew on trees, I'd march next year in a heartbeat with whoever would take me. But alas, it doesn't. And the little money I have is being earned so one day I can wear the sash and baldric and helmet and big white plume, and blast out those big symphonic chords every day all day with the best hornline in the world.

Oh well. Hope this helps. Anybody wanna sponsor me? :(

OK, well, from the perspective of a potential corps member, here's why, in my case anyway.

It's my dream to march Phantom Regiment. I would go into detail about this but it doesn't help make my point. The point is, a summer of Regiment is unbelievably expensive for a college kid who's parents aren't just busting with money and enthralled with drum corps. In other words, most of the fees would be coming a)out of my pocket or b)from sponsorships. I've worked my butt off this summer saving over 90% of everything I earn towards this goal. I'll probably have enough for most of one season when it's all over and I start school.

I age out in 2009. If I audition this fall, and don't make the line, what am I gonna do? Spend all my money on a semi-finalist corps? Then what happens in 2008 if I DO make the line? As much as I hate hate hate the thought of spending one more season on the sidelines next summer, I also don't love the idea of using the "Phantom Phund" all up and not even making it into the line yet.

I know a lower-placing corps would give me valuable experience, a blast of a summer, etc. But I hope you guys are seeing where I'm coming from anyway.

So why do talented kids with an interest in corps sit out the summer? It's not summer classes-I've kept my schedule free. It's not a lack of knowledge- I was the resident DCI dork at my (large) high school and I read like every article they ever made on dci.org. It's finances. If money grew on trees, I'd march next year in a heartbeat with whoever would take me. But alas, it doesn't. And the little money I have is being earned so one day I can wear the sash and baldric and helmet and big white plume, and blast out those big symphonic chords every day all day with the best hornline in the world.

Now that is a good point. Stupid escalating tour fees.

I don't see what the big deal was about this rule change from 128 to 135. It's 7 people.

SEVEN PEOPLE

Tell you what.

When I get a college job and I am making money again...I will sponsor you, and I will find other people to help share the costs, because I doubt I will be able to pay it all, considering I will have student loans to pay off.

Just remind me when the time comes. That's a promise: If you make the Regiment, I will help with some of the costs involved.

Now that is a good point. Stupid escalating tour fees.

I agree. When I started marching almost 10 years ago...Div II/III fees were between 350-700 and open class fees were between 600-1400.

Now it seems the minimum tour fee for open class is $1200. I couldnt imagine paying that much money my first year of corps.

I really wish there were more "weekend" corps. I know that many DCA corps operate this way but it would be great if this mode was applied to more DCI corps.

I know Capital Regiment was operating this way for a while (in the midwest). I know that Pacific Crest and Jersey Surf also have similar operations.

Wonder why this hasnt caught on? Had there been a weekend corps in Bloomington, IN or the Indianapolis area, I COULD have marched those 4 summers.

Just remind me when the time comes. That's a promise: If you make the Regiment, I will help with some of the costs involved.

As will I, though I don't know how much I'd be able to offer. Every bit helps, right? Heh, of course I don't want to just hand you a Benjy, so let me know when you make the corps. :rolleyes: