Top 3 Things Endangering Drum Corps

Peak- it's not just an antifreeze... :blink:

I knew the "peak oil" argument was coming. :P

Fair enough...but hopefully in 50-100 years, we'll have a more viable supply of ethanol fuel, make use of liquefaction, and have other alternative methods in place to counter that. If bus and RV manufacturers have sense, they'll get on board now, and maybe our grand-kids will be riding around on electric or hyrbid busses to the 2066 DCI Championships.

Oil prices are fairly sketchy and volitale, anyway. One hundred dollars by next year might happen...but two hundred is pushing it, IMO.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternative fuels. The higher the price per barrel rises, more and more companies will start making ethanol and biodiesel.

With the right engine, you can buy and run E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) or B20 (20% biodiesel, 80% diesel).

One of my clients began manufacturing biodiesel in January. Chevron broke ground on a huge plant in Galveston a couple of months ago, and we just picked up a new biodiesel company last week. Bio1's growth plan is to add 8 more plants and Bio2's growth plan is 8 plants.

Where there's a business opportunity, American capitalists will fill the niche.

I don't think even $250 a barrel is not out of the question in a year or two. Sure the 'group think' by the money institutions say will get back down to $40 soon but their isn't one shred of solid evidence/proof that it is possible in the current world we live in. In fact the rebuild in the South will completely collapse with out it. At best stagflation. ie. No growth wages with inflation fueled by worthless paper dollars will send drum corps buying power back to the VFW days.

The $250 doesn't even come close to the relative price we were paying during OPEC oil embargo. If rationing is inforced the gas lines would be so long that it would take an extra day just to travel to the next town on tour. No?

Unfortunatly the alternative energy program is still mostly in mothballs. Oil reserves from Canada is possible only if the price jusifies the longer and more expensive process to refine it. Coal has already cracked the North Pole in half. But that makes a faster route from Alaska to Europe. I don't know.

Mom :blink:

Edited by Snapettes Mom

Soon enough we'll have busses running on ethanol based fuel. I think the activity can hold out about ten years paying gas prices until eathanol becomes a more popular alternative to gasoline. We won't have to worry about fluctuating prices from the middle east then, we've got more then enough corn grown right here in the US.

drum corps is endangered? Did I miss something?

~>conner

The 'new' corn is already messing with us more than the scientist are allowed to admit. Bio-engineered corn is the number one contributor to the growing epidemic of asthma related disease and the alarming rate of food alergy's across the world. Sugar importers from South America have the corn industry up in arms because they want to protect the wonderful tax subsidies they have enjoyed for generations. Sugar is a cleaner and more efficient burn and has already unleashed countries like Argentina from being strickly oil dependent.

Have you noticed the growing inventory of Rice Dream in your grocery store? It's because the corn that is being fed to the cows is so wacked that is causing people to go into annafelictic shock and they can't even eat anything or take vitamins because it has milk products in it. Let alone travel or go out to eat.

Wind is waiting to get started but won't take off until the Tax breaks go into effect. I hope the changes happen soon. But it usually requires pain to make the change first. Good luck to all the bus drivers out there.

Mom

Yeah... apparently, your tin-foil hat for this shindig. :P

Do they sell those in the DCP store? I can't seem to find one.

Do they sell those in the DCP store? I can't seem to find one.

That would be awesome. A DCP baseball cap lined with foil.

Gas prices will continue to follow their current trend of dropping throughout the winter to reasonable prices. The smart corps will bite the bullet and buy all their fuel for the season towards the beginning of April before prices begin to rise again.