Top 3 Things Endangering Drum Corps

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foil hats are OT. I thought we were talking about the price of oil and how it will effect the survival of DCI. Funny you mentioned that though. Foil hats can be just the beginning. I have a neighbor who started covering her bedroom window with foil. Then she expanded to all the windows in the front of house and all the windows on her car with the hatch back wide open. Even going on to covering her back with a reflective windshield cover when she marches around backwards in front of her house. The foil didn't work very well on her mail box so she used a blanket instead. Even more interesting were the figureans of little children and glass vases spread around frontyard used for video surveylence. Foil didn't work on her address on the curb or the house so she used duck tape and card board. A daily ritual that went of for 10 years while her husband was away at work.

I think possibly all drum corps will be absorbed by college marching bands when the woodwinds are finally accepted with the advancement of electronics. The school tuitions will cover most of cost of travel but you can probably forget about summer tours. No doubt a little more dumbing down will take place but not enough for any of the newbies to notice. :blink:

Mom

I don't think even $250 a barrel is not out of the question in a year or two. Sure the 'group think' by the money institutions say will get back down to $40 soon but their isn't one shred of solid evidence/proof that it is possible in the current world we live in.

Nor is there one shred of solid evidence/proof that gas prices will reach the alarmingly high levels you predict.

I hope your right : )

There is sliver of insight written by Stephen Leeb, Phd., Author of THE OIL FACTOR. His most recent book The Coming Economic Collapse, How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 A Barrel. He does offer some intelligent solutions worth examing. IMHO

Mom

I hope your right : )

There is sliver of insight written by Stephen Leeb, Phd., Author of THE OIL FACTOR. His most recent book The Coming Economic Collapse, How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 A Barrel. He does offer some intelligent solutions worth examing. IMHO

Mom

I believe the more forward thinking leaders in the drum corps community will find alternatives that meet their needs. If what you assert is to pass, then other marching activities will be hurt, such as marching band, winterguard and indoor percussion - not drum corps alone.

1. 200 dollar a barrel of oil in the near future.

2. More amps than you can shake a stick at.

3. Spit valves gone wild.

What should should DCI do? :blink:

Mom

Those are certainly interesting "endangerments" listed there... and at least one of them is truly a possible threat to the activity.

My list is more like this:

1. Less kids interested in the activity itself than we had 25 years ago...because today's world is more tech oriented and less about physical activity

2. The fact that the marching bands at some colleges have become drum corps (for all intents & purposes) and kids can now get credit for that involvement

and still take the summer off...

3. Kids want to start right off in Cadets or Blue Devils or ...etc. and no one wants to stay with or join a smaller local corps anymore.

She's the king (sometimes queen) of conspiracy theories.

Oh, Bawker, wonderful screen cap you have there. XD

Edited by Gil-galad

Disneys Cavaliers,Mom

How about Disneys Magic?