Top 3 Things Endangering Drum Corps

Those are certainly interesting "endangerments" listed there... and at least one of them is truly a possible threat to the activity.

My list is more like this:

1. Less kids interested in the activity itself than we had 25 years ago...because today's world is more tech oriented and less about physical activity

2. The fact that the marching bands at some colleges have become drum corps (for all intents & purposes) and kids can now get credit for that involvement

and still take the summer off...

3. Kids want to start right off in Cadets or Blue Devils or ...etc. and no one wants to stay with or join a smaller local corps anymore.

or the fact that schools are starting earlier and earlier? Think it could affect finals in the future? In the many parts of the south (Alabama) we start next week.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the issue of corn. This reminds me of a personal experience not too long ago with the Snapettes during our 2001TOUR. Read the press release below.

Snapettes Floor Sanders Speed Up End OF 2001 TOUR

IceDen Hockey Dome, NW Canada--In a cloud of dust -- The Snapettes were

seen speeding along this afternoon towards Canton, Ohio in the middle of an

endless sea of corn fields.

The corps spokesperson, Father McManick said, "will be picking up a

new set of tires for our 40 and a half foot long BBQ with smoker in the

rear after the PIGA Championships at the Stealthmen Invitational. We

would like to announce that our Triple D Program, formally known as the

Donations, Donuts and Directions Program, has received 18 floor sanders.

For the lame duck of g...d."

The corps director, Sister McMeanitt C.C. said, "our 2001TOUR has

taken a toll on our balding tires and we have decided to replace all 18

tires under the BBQ with our fine donation of floor sanders. Right after

the corps snow plow was mounted to the front of the BBQ, the floor

sanders were turned on together. The powerful sanding belts blared

loudly in the key of G, rocketing the BBQ forward with dirt and corn

stalks flying skyward. The BBQ quickly cut a path through the endless

corn fields with the rest of the corps caravan racing along trying to

keep up."

The colorguard captain said with a wry grin, "these sanders will

allow for more practice time to clean up our performance for this

weekend, plus we can use them to tune our pit equipment with, don't ask

me how." Then she high stepped to the back of the bus into the zipper

room to clear space for additional awards. Wish You We're Here.

SNAPETTES!

http://www.geocities.com/snapettes/2001_Lame.htm

Gas prices will continue to rise, but that doesn't mean that the world will stop functioning. There will be alternatives to fossil fuel, such as ethanol and biodiesel. Although I think hybrid buses are a long time away, I'm sure they'll have to appear sometime. Fossil fuel is supposed to run out in 50 years.

I don't think you have to worry about fuel too much right now. At worst, corps would begin regional tours.

1. Sell that SUV and ride a bike more -- in fact, inflation-adjusted oil prices are now at the level attained in about 1981 when we all drove smaller cars that still got us from A to B. Support more oil exploration and construction of new refineries (in your backyard, not mine).

2. Amps & Singing -- bad, bad, bad ideas. Keep repeating that over and over and over until someone in Carnegie Hall listens.

3. Spit valves = trumpets = more bad decisions (also kevlar drumheads have got to go).

Jon

Retired = no worries ^0^

Peak- it's not just an antifreeze... :blink:

Drum Corps/band has been looking in the wrong direction for over thirty years now................

1/ show design for the affecionado..............they're dieing off and change is killing the rest

2/ short sighted direction.........lets hype the top five and everything will take care of itself...............no grass roots

3/take the big twelve touring the country and let the others fend for themselves..regional shows.........regional championships.........

4/get rid of all the WGI judges that don't get it ..........don't understand its not about them and their fantasies but about the crowd............ENTERTAINMENT..............in all captions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/well........you guys can fill in the rest.......

1. Regional touring.

2. It's here to stay. We lost. Get ready to see it in DCA soon.

3. Lay off the crack pipe.

The end.

1. Regional/local recruiting too. For 2 reasons. Airfare will go along with land transportation & who wants to go cross-country for rehearsals only to "tour" in a "foreign" region.

1a. Liability insurance costs for both corps and contest sponsors will also impact travel costs and show availability.

2. Disagree. The gimmicks will retire with Hopkins (followed a few years later by his ego). The DCA corps who might promote amps are the ones who can least afford them.

3. We're drummers. We don't need no stinkin' spit valves!

BD Entertainment and a few others are cashing in on talent pool with corporate gigs.

AMPs will be replaced by headphones for the :wub: audience. Far more inexpensive. Or can be purchased at the gate just like you do on some airlines before watching a movie.

Spit valves will be considered prehistoric after the adoption of reclamation camel bags or hampter bottles.

Mom

the amp battle is only over if you quit :(

The only amp battles taking place are on this forum. DCI moved on a long time ago, and so should all of you.

Top three things......

1. Suitable Housing sites for the Corps

2. Suitable Housing sites for the Corps

3. Suitable Housing sites for the Corps

That there are 4 Corps who are currently not housed for Atlanta, a prime example......if any one has any hook up? I would be glad to forward the info......One of those I know of is the Scades....

Edited by lowbrassdad