Top 3 Things Endangering Drum Corps

From Delta House......Today...

Jeff Cox, DCI's housing guy, called me at 7:30 this morning, and he's still trying to line up housing for FOUR corps for Thursday through Saturday.

Please, if anyone can help out for one or all of those days, post something here or send me a private message and I'll get the word to Jeff. Even if it's at a school a couple of hours away from the Dome, that would work.

We are 1 hour and a half from Atlanta in Alabama, we had several corps ask to stay with us, but we school starts next week and system is finishing cleaning etc. Don't know if this is the same problem in Atlanta or not. Plus our football team has commandered our air conditioned gym and practice fields.

Could be a problem, many schools down here start so early now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are 1 hour and a half from Atlanta in Alabama, we had several corps ask to stay with us, but we school starts next week and system is finishing cleaning etc. Don't know if this is the same problem in Atlanta or not. Plus our football team has commandered our air conditioned gym and practice fields.

Could be a problem, many schools down here start so early now.

In Florida, the state legislature recently passed a Bill that mandates that School Districts in the state can start school no earlier than 2 weeks prior to Labor Day. This is going into effect in 2007. This was a result of a grass-roots effort by parents and teachers all over the state who were concerned about summers getting shorter and shorter and school start dates being closer to July than September.

Year around school year is closing it's noose slowly but surely. Bama is prime example.

Mom

There's basically no reason for having the summer off anymore. When the US was more agricultural it was needed for taking care of the land and crops. Today, there is no need. Many the education system could do a 10 weeks on, 2 weeks off system.

How about trains for transportation? We'll have to wait and see how the BD experiment worked.

Year around school year is closing it's noose slowly but surely. Bama is prime example.

Mom

We are? Last I checked, I was enrolled in one of the largest school districs in the state and out of our 15+ high schools, only ONE is currently doing year-round schooling. They made the proposal to make everyone go to it (to save them money) and it was promptly turned down. Why? Because priorities in Alabama are a little skewed... no one wants to mess with high school football and one of Alabama's largest money makers: the beach tourism sector. So no, I don't think we'll ever go to the summer-less year-round system.

There's basically no reason for having the summer off anymore. When the US was more agricultural it was needed for taking care of the land and crops. Today, there is no need. Many the education system could do a 10 weeks on, 2 weeks off system.

Why not? I personally enjoy the current system of a lot of schooling but a long, uninterupted 3 month break.