Cadets the future of drum corps?

How can it get back to being something you'd go see again?

i still do go to the local show each year

its like watching a hideous car wreck involving a loved one - cant tear my eyes away

it wont/cant ever get "back" to drumcorps - losing the bugles and adding amps and mics are just symptoms

the only reason dci is still allowed to exist is so that the corporations can pimp ther whores like the cadets to sell their crap to the thousands of bands out there and leech their fund-raising dollars

Edited by bksrbsfl

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only reason dci is still allowed to exist is so that the corporations can pimp ther whores like the cadets to sell their crap to the thousands of bands out there and leech their fund-raising dollars

Yea, 'cause before Yamaha and Dynasty and other companies started sponsoring corps, there weren't any bands in need of equipment.

That's the dumbest thing I've read on DCP today. Sheesh, I should start giving out a daily award for that.

Also - Does anyone remember that extremely long (and very well written) document that GH put out a few years ago about the "Future of drum corps?"

Is this it? We had a thread about it over the off-season, too, I think:

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?ID=213

edit, found it: shameless plug for a thread I started on it. :P

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums//ind...t&p=1314599

Edited by bawker

That self-serving load of crap doesn't go too far in the real world. Let's call a spade a spade. This show is failing relative to the competition not because it's 'too challenging' for the audiences but because when compared to the top corps this year, the show is half-baked.

The concept is fine, and the staging is rotten. Let me repeat in case you didn't get it - the staging and timing of this show SUCKS as often as not. Compared to what the Cavaliers are doing with their show and their concept, it doesn't belong on the same friggin field. The fact that they're only 3 points off the lead is a testament to the performing talent in the membership of the Cadets, who really do seem to be able to make the product more than it is on paper.

If anyone thinks that having a featured vocalist in one number and a few 'characters' gamboling about the field automatically elevates a drum corps show to Joycean levels of intellectual density and artistic ambition, they really need to get out more.

Not as self -serving and crappy as your post. "Joycean levels of intellectual density and artistic ambition"

It's true there are corps out there this year better than the Cadets at this point in the season.

I have also made refence to problems The Cadets have with staging and timing in previous post.

I don't think anybody on DCP thinks this is the greatest show in drumcorps history.

I think the show is unique. I like it.

i'm not discussing drumcorps, i'm discussing cadets

Well, one of two things brought you here:

Your love of drum corps. . .or your hatred for the current state of drum corps.

I understand it's not you, specifically...and I know that passions run deep on this. It's just that the end game argument is always either "just leave" or "stop going to drum corps."

Question is...how to we get past the "versus" mentality that's in place? If the minds that innovate want to sway opinion, some sort of public discourse on amplification, creativity and vision should take place, no?

How do we get Sully...Gibbs....Glasgow...and so on to come out from their own respective "safe" forums, and explain this stuff?

*Here's where Season Pass can do some good in the off-season*:

What about a series of streamed "round tables" concerning these ideas of creativity, vision and forward thinking with the big names, with questions that could come in through a moderated chat room? Perhaps during the winter meetings.

I'd be really interested in something like that...and I'll wager that a lot of us that are having to use piece-meal information and play connect the dots with peoples motivation would as well. :)

the problem is some of them have, said things they really meant, and when called on it, they run off after posting bs excuse saving face statements.

they wont care what fans think until the $$ stops coming in

Why do we have to make the distinction between band person/drum corps person. I would think many of us are both. One would not exist without the other.

Not only that, its kind of childish. You like it, therefore, you're a bando.

That makes no sense.

I agree--and its ironic since I have long moved beyond band and in to drum corps (I am at far more drum corps shows than band shows each year)--even more over missed is--I never said I liked! I said some like it...I can think of a million Cadets shows alone I liked better...I just think people are a little too freaked out by change--especially when only a few corps are doing it or sticking with it

No embarrassment here.

I am a band director, but I don't call myself only a band person. . .and for you to assume the same about someone based on some profile information does not make a lot of sense. None of us should pretend to know the experiences of others.

Thank you yet again...I also am compelled to point out here--because you MARCHED in drum corps--and because I am from MAINE where I honestly had no idea I could even JOIN a drum corps until it was pretty much too late does not make this activity YOURS and not mine. FANS keep this going--and if your no longer in a corps, then thats all you are now, just like me, no better, no worse...I have been ADDICTED to this activity since the late 80's and have seen lots of changes, some I like, some I don't but yet I feel the corps get more and more exciting each year...because I didn't march, i dont have a clue what I am talking about because I only know band? This is a youth activity--these kids are INCREDIBLE ---ALL OF THEM and I am reminded that each year...my point is, as I stated and as you mostly neglected to discuss--the corps that are the most copied are the ones that are most succesful--somehow, I dont feel that the current standings put Cadets or Crossmen in that category as much as I may or may not wish that was the case---