1992 BD Drum Major...

I had forgotten about that little "pull the string" move of his.

Heh heh...

Coming from a corps where the mentality was that the drum major should not "stand out" while conducting, I've always found this particular show amusing from that perspective. That dude is TRULY getting into it...fun stuff.

I'd forgotten how fun and chockful of good shows the 1992 season was (sitting here watching the DVD...or rather, it's on as "background distractor" while I write drill).

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I had forgotten about that little "pull the string" move of his.

Heh heh...

Coming from a corps where the mentality was that the drum major should not "stand out" while conducting, I've always found this particular show amusing from that perspective. That dude is TRULY getting into it...fun stuff.

I'd forgotten how fun and chockful of good shows the 1992 season was (sitting here watching the DVD...or rather, it's on as "background distractor" while I write drill).

pull the string?

can you explian?

Al Go during the opener?

I think he was proof that you don't necessarily have to stand there rigidly waving your arms in whatever pattern is called for

Those kids didn't seem to have any problem keeping it together

He was doing "abnormal" stuff in the opening bars too...watch him (if you haven't already) right after the fade-away from high cam

Hey, as long as you're watching wacky '92 drum majors, check out Freelancers. Chad was... a character. Actually, '90 has a lot of classic Chad, but I don't expect you to have a DVD of the 14th place corps from 1990.

But if you have '91....

Hey, as long as you're watching wacky '92 drum majors, check out Freelancers. Chad was... a character. Actually, '90 has a lot of classic Chad, but I don't expect you to have a DVD of the 14th place corps from 1990.

But if you have '91....

Was he the one that appeared to sing along with the corps?

Blue Devils 1992 is quite possibly the most underrated, least-mentioned show ever. Anyone who doesn't think the 2 minutes and 11 seconds of drum corps bliss that is "When a Man Loves a Woman" is not the most amazing thing ever, has no right to be a fan.

I can vouch for the greatness of 1992. I hadn't bought any of the legacy DVD's until this week, and guess which year I bought ('92). The shows that year were tremendous.

I also remember the BD's drum major. I like his showmanship. He's part of the corps, and the purpose is to entertain. I see no problem with it. Even with him "pulling the string" my focus was heavily in what was happening on the field - mostly lots of red spandex if I remember correctly.

But if you have '91....

You must be talking about the guy who sang along with the corps, his mouth wide open like he was mocking them or something...it's been years since i saw that 1992 Freelancers show, but I remember that guy quite well.

Another "interesting" drum major was the guy from Suncoast 1988. His technique looked painful to me.

Also, I think Rich Armstrong's look during the closer of 1986's Garfield show resembled that of someone taking a potty break...heh heh. And what was that white stuff on his nose, sunblock?

1992 BD was quite a fun show. I was there all three nights in Madison - there was quite a lot of discussion each night over whether BD's horns or guard would show more skin in the closer!

I agree with others on this thread that '92 was a fantastic year. It's probably the most watched of my Legacy DVDs.