1992 BD Drum Major...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A good question to ask here might be what is the average brass player or percussionist looking for in a Drum Major. Personally I always like the guy who pulls the emotion out of you. Im not into the metronome types, they add nothing to a performance.

Isn't that the band director at Tarpon Springs HS? Or am I thinking of a different year?

Yep, that would be Kevin Ford... also DM in 86 and 87

I had forgotten about that little "pull the string" move of his.

Heh heh...

Coming from a corps where the mentality was that the drum major should not "stand out" while conducting, I've always found this particular show amusing from that perspective. That dude is TRULY getting into it...fun stuff.

I'd forgotten how fun and chockful of good shows the 1992 season was (sitting here watching the DVD...or rather, it's on as "background distractor" while I write drill).

How about the Drum Major from the Freelancers - - was it '83, '84, or '85 - - "Now we've got something you're really gonna like!"

How about the Drum Major from the Freelancers - - was it '83, '84, or '85 - - "Now we've got something you're really gonna like!"

The great Carl Allison....it was 83, during "Even Now"...the closer.

Al Go was kinda mi inspiration for my own style when U got on the podium for SoCal Dream in 03, and 04...and any future years.

Was he the one that appeared to sing along with the corps?

Oh, that was no mere appearance....

On the audio recording for our '91 show, you can hear someone shout "Alright!" right after the opener ends. That wasn't someone in the audience. That was Chad.

And if you watch the video, you can see him spin around to face the crowd and pump a fist in the air as he shouts it.

Wacky.

'90 was his first year as our DM (and his rookie year in drum corps). His conducting style instantly became a target of mockery and impersonation. Especially in the opener. That still gets a laugh.

However, he was sometimes wildly popular with the crowd because of his California surfer-boy good looks. I remember the Wichita Falls show in 1990 in particular. The stands were full of high school girls who couldn't get enough of the guy. The screamed themselves hoarse. Star came on right after us and didn't get half the crowd response we did (which was brutally unfair, because... I mean, c'mon -- 1990 Star!).

Or... wait... was that Wichita Falls, TX or Wichita, KS?

Coming from a corps where the mentality was that the drum major should not "stand out" while conducting, I've always found this particular show amusing from that perspective. That dude is TRULY getting into it...fun stuff.

).

Nelson A. (I'm not sure of the spellng) I want to say 87,88 BD DM? His style and Method was awesome, talk about someone "getting into it". I think Al Go Learned a thing or 2 from him. Freelancers DM from Early 90's, was very impressionable also, couldn't help but not notice him while seeing the corps at the RCC show in '90. Lots of Energy, to the point where i think he almost fell off his podium.

Blue Devils 1992 is quite possibly the most underrated, least-mentioned show ever. Anyone who doesn't think the 2 minutes and 11 seconds of drum corps bliss that is "When a Man Loves a Woman" is not the most amazing thing ever, has no right to be a fan.

...unless they're a drummer, in which case the '92 Blue Devils are a bit underwhelming. There was sort of a "Dark Age" for percussion in Concord from 1991 through 1993, which is a shame since it would've been a thrill to have great drum lines behind the '91 & '93 brass books, which are some of my all-time favorites.

'When a Man Loves a Woman' was a fun tune to listen to, though nowhere near the "most amazing thing ever".

A good question to ask here might be what is the average brass player or percussionist looking for in a Drum Major. Personally I always like the guy who pulls the emotion out of you. Im not into the metronome types, they add nothing to a performance.

I would hope the ability to to draw out the best playing from the Corps. Also the confidence that should there be a cross tempo going, that the DM can quickly and efficiently bring the disparate factions back in unison ( among other things too ) It's the off the field leadership qualities that tell of the true efffectiveness of a DM too. The DM needs to be the bridge that brings the staff and the marching members together in a cohesive fashion.

Edited by X DM