MY rule change proposition

Well, that and a couple of pretty big oceans...

Especially after that UN resolution against the proliferation of boats.

Seriously, though, now that this has devolved into a political debate that doesn't even have a tenuous connection to drum corps anymore, could you guys take it... anywhere else?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, so now people that don't join the military don't have the balls to do so?

From a vet:

Yup. ^0^

Edited by ravedodger

Frankly, I'm torn as to how I feel about this.

On the one hand, I support our troops. My grandfather served in WWII, my step-dad did 18 months in Vietnam and volunteered to do so, and my dad was in the Army for a while. The Army paid for my dad to get clean and sober, so I'm grateful for that among other things. Anything special that we can do for our veterans is fine by me.

On the other hand, since we are not in a draft situation, serving in the military is a choice, and it's a choice that you can make at just about any age. My dad joined the Army in his thirties. A friend of my step-dad's is in the National Guard and served in Iraq when he was in his 50s (and he said he'd do it again).

To sum it up: I would support the rule change proposition, but I don't see why it's needed. I'm going to defer to Kamarag's wise position here.

From a vet:

Yup. ^0^

Because it couldn't be that people just have other plans and have made choices that make serving impossible.

I guess people who join the military at 18 just don't have the balls to age out of DCI

ridiculous. This is a YOUTH activity. Raising the age limit to 25 creates more elite organizations in which YOUTH might have trouble qualifying for.

The OP's original idea for the rule is that you must have previously marched at least one full season of DCI before joining the military in order to be eligible to do one last year after your service is finished. Just so you know... there military isn't exactly overflowing with people that have marched DCI. Let's face it, most people that march DCI are smart, talented people that are either in college or will be soon. People like that don't usually join the military. There's been many studies, books, etc. on this subject.

Anyway, my point is that there wouldn't be a ton of people taking advantage of this rule. Maybe a handful of people each year. And another point... unless you're in a music program in the military (I'm not), you're not gonna be very good after a few years of not playing at all, lol. Sure, they'd be 25, but they'd also have to practice their ##### off just to get into their old corps, and would probably barely make it.

THere is only honor in serving the country. THe point is afterwards you do not belong hanging out with my 16 year old daughter. Its tough enough now with boy-girl. Lets not push Man-girl. If you need to still march try DCA.

RF

There are people under the age of 16 that march DCA, and so far I beleive I haven't heard anything controversial about it. A single 25 year old surrounded by 127 people under21 proablly faces as much difficulty as a single 16 year old surrounded by people legally able to start trouble.

Edited by VKCanosUSMCContra

There are people under the age of 16 that march DCA, and so far I beleive I haven't heard anything controversial about it. A single 25 year old surrounded by 127 people under21 proablly faces as much difficulty as a single 16 year old surrounded by people legally able to start trouble.

DCA corps don't live together 24/7 for 3 months either. There is also a bit more "adult supervision" in DCA because most of the people are adults

i agree with the fact that this is a youth organization and should stay that way. remember, a person CHOOSES to be in the military. they can choose NOT to enlist and march corps. some times in life you have two choose between two things you want badly. there's an old song that goes, "you can't always get what you want."

i do also believe that this crosses some moral boundry, having 26 year olds sleeping and showering with 15 and 16 year olds. i just don't think it's appropriate. well, it works in DCA you say. well, i also happen to believe that there should be an age minimum of 18, or really 21 to march senior corps.

Sorry buddy... but the military has evolved long past actual soldiers being what is protecting the US from threat of foreign invasion.

Were that the case, the country would have been quite an easy target for China, whose military is several times the size of America's.

America has no threat of foreign invasion because of a massive stockpile of nukes. Period.

The military doesn't protect the rights of US citizens to say anything at all... it is the Constitution that does this. Ironically, the only thing that is currently threatening the rights of citizens in America is the recent overextention of powers of the executive branch of the federal government (let's hope that 'checks and balances' thing doesn't break down).

Again, the US military no longer protects America, but simply serves as the execution arm of US foreign policy... and even if the entire military wasn't anything more than a group of 20 guys (enough to get those missles launched), there still would be zero threat of foreign invasion.

is it warm in that fantasy land that you live in?

Edited by Boof96