MY rule change proposition

Do I really need to do the math for you? A 5 year age difference between teens is MUCH different than a 10 year age difference between teens and adults.

there is a point there.. but my original thinking in the change would be that the member would come back in a "top corps".. where most of the members are 18+..

also when i was marching, people were there to march, not play the dating game. i know some other corps (like scv) bus rides are a LOT different.. but still.. everyone is pretty much over 18.

but either way, there typically isnt a 14 year old female marching in a corps that has 18-21 year old members.. i know at BDA, there has been ONE 14 year old member (male) in the past what.. 14 years..

of course a 25 year old coming back to march a small div 2/3 corps where the average is say.. 16.. might be an issue.. and yes, i can definently see your point there, but if a 25 year old wants to march at a corps of that age, either a.) you are correct, and he shouldnt be marching there because of that issue or b.) he just sucks and cant make a decent competing corps and probably shouldnt be marching anyways.

lol

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

listen, doing your time and serving your country are CHOICES.

and personally eric, i dont really think you contribute all that much to our country, so you "serving it" doesnt mean much in my eyes.

Just wanted to get a little clarification here.........are you saying that military personel do not contribute to our country???

Edited by Boof96

Just wanted to get a little clarification here.........are you saying that that military personel do not contribute to our country???

apparently. he thinks that just because i post crap on a forum, that what i did in the military did not contribute to this country at all.

in fact.. if he (anyone for that matter) said that to my face, i would knock them out and beat the **** out of them.... especially coming from someone who would never have the balls to even join.

And they must be able to sing. On mic, and on demand! :)

if your prop passed, I would submit my own entitled "Dude, get on with your life!"

I would agree there. There should be no exceptions. No matter the circumstances.

I'm not downplaying any of those who choose to go into the military and they got called up. It's very honorable and noble thing to do. That doesn't give them the benefit of added time for drum corps. They choose to join and they knew that they might be called up at any time. Why not add years for those who choose to do Peace Corps? Or decide to do co-op work in thier career path.

Sorry, if you start making exceptions for one, you have to do it for all.

you could also give an exception for those who chose to rob a liquor store and had to serve 4 years in prison. they didn't have the option to march while they were serving their time so why not give them the option to march when they get out.

I am all for the military (many members of my family have been in or are currently in) and what they do for the country, but since we don't have a draft it is a voluntary choice to join up. they could have just as easily chosen to join up after aging out of their respective corps. They knew the rules when the joined so it was their choice to forgo their final years in order to serve. and I commend them for that choice.

<snip>

of course a 25 year old coming back to march a small div 2/3 corps where the average is say.. 16.. might be an issue.. and yes, i can definently see your point there, but if a 25 year old wants to march at a corps of that age, either a.) you are correct, and he shouldnt be marching there because of that issue or b.) he just sucks and cant make a decent competing corps and probably shouldnt be marching anyways.

lol

Dude, I was somewhat with you until that last bit...

Just because YOU marched with a Div I World Champ does NOT give you the right to infer that Div II / III corps are for people who "suck" and "cant [sic] make a decent competing corps"

I offer you the fact that MANY folks in Div II / III corps could ABSOLUTELY make a Div I finalist BUT CHOOSE NOT TO. You should check out corps like Raiders, ECJ, Spartans, Surf, etc. They are not just a bunch of 10th chair guys and girls. So the disrespect there hurt you in this thread.

<-- Never marched Div II / III, but all about giving them their props.

Why not add years for those who choose to do Peace Corps? Or decide to do co-op work in thier career path.

Sorry, if you start making exceptions for one, you have to do it for all.

No, not at all. Keeping in mind that I am against the proposal in the first place, comparing military service to the Peace Corps is not valid. Heck, it's practically insulting. Nevermind co-op.

Remember, the military is service protecting this country...or the country you live in, etc. The Peace Corps is service to someone else's country.

(By the way, did you know that service inthe Peace Cors disqualifies you from being elligible to serve in the US military?)

I have been involved in drum corps for 80% of my life, and served a tour in the military, so I feel qualified to comment on this topic.

I think America's veterans should be given special consideration. Period. Always. In all aspects of life. They have earned it.

From Valley Forge to Gettysburg, San Juan Hill, the Somme, Normandy, Iwo Jima, the Pusan Perimeter, Khe Sahn, Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan...these veterans have endured the most horrible circumstances imaginable. They have fought, and bled and died so that we can enjoy the life we live today. Anyone who can't wrap their tiny little mind around how special our veterans are...well, they are just limp-wristed, weak-kneed, pasty-faced bags of puke.

Sure, our vets made a choice. That choice enables reporters to have freedom of the press, and poets the freedom of speech.

They eneable our college students the right to demonstrate. They salute our flag, and fight under it, and have it draped on their coffins.....so that you have the right to burn it, if you wish.

So, those of you who don't think our veterans deserve " a little extra"... Just never mind! You're not even worth trying to convince. You probably sit on your ### and run your mouth when the National Anthem is performed.

Just leave.

Edited by markdewine