church supplement during tour

church is definately an important thing in christian/catholic circles because of the teaching/fellowship/and accountability. if you do decide to join a corps, you know that that means sacrificing a bunch of weekends for drum corps. but that doesnt mean you have to put aside your faith. Tour can be a great time of spiritual growth, but it is definately challenging. find some other christians in the corps and set up a bible study and encourage each other. its been done in various Div 1 drum corps and its a really cool thing. go for it!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Number one thing: Don't forget your bible when you go on tour. :)

When I marched in the Cadets we actually had a Catholic Priest on tour with us all summer. He would say Mass and give Communion every Sunday. It was obviously not mandatory for all members. I have no idea if the Cadets still do this, but I kind of doubt it.

I honestly don't think actually going to church is really that big of a deal. As long as your heart is with God every day of the week, it really doesn't matter what building you are in on a certain day. There are more than enough people in America who go to church and don't actually mean it. And think of all the missionaries or people in the Bible who were too busy actually doing God's work to take time off to go to church. When Paul was in prison, they didn't let him out to visit the Temple.

I'm not God, but I would bet things like not getting naked on rookie talent night goes a lot farther in His eyes than what building you spend your time in on Sunday.

So i have been wondering as i am going to audition for bd this next year. i am catholic and my faith is really important to me. now i realize that there isnt enough time to let kids go to church every sunday but im wondering if there is some sort of supplemental service provided, be it bible study or whater, that is offered. OR is it just up to the members to deal with that kind of thing themselves all summer?

ps. sorry if this is a touchy subject for anyone on here; i dont mean to be abrasive :)

Well, obviously religious observance varies from corps to corps so you won't know unless you ask BD Management.

Personally, I couldn't wait to leave Catholicism and don't believe in the old Pioneer philosophy of "making" members attend. Though it may not be forced, there's potentially a peer pressure there, which is why I'd oppose it.

Even so, I would probably respect a corps philosophy a bit less if they didn't at least make an effort to accomodate those members for whom religious beliefs were important. Of course, affected members would need to recognize that it might be impractical EVERY Sunday (or Saturday) but if a corps couldn't make an effort to accomodate an hour a week for something that is a major part of their members' lives, that would be a red flag for me. What else might they be inflexible about?

When I marched in the Cadets we actually had a Catholic Priest on tour with us all summer. He would say Mass and give Communion every Sunday. It was obviously not mandatory for all members. I have no idea if the Cadets still do this, but I kind of doubt it.

I'm very surprised at this since the catholic church usually refuses to hold a mass outside of a blessed chapel. I wonder if he did this with the knowledge of his parrish or if he was doing this on the sly because he felt it was the right thing to do for the corps members.

In Coats when I marched during winter rehearsals I believe they would take members who wanted to go to church on sundays, but during tour I really don't remember seeing that happening. I personnally went through 12 years of catholic school so summer was more of a break from all the religion being forced on me during the school year.

I volunteered with Pioneer two years ago and from what I could see at the camps I attended, the corps arranged for kids who wanted to to attend a church service. It wasn't always the same church or denomination and it was NOT mandatory. Many kids elected to stay behind and there didn't seem to be any adverse effect associated with that choice. Kids didn't even make fun of each other for going or not.

And for those of you who are under the impression that Catholicism (for those who practice it) is acceptable if you believe it in your heart -- well.. part of our belief is that we need to take part in the celebration of the eucharist. We can't pick and choose on that. When we don't partake of the eucharist, it's considered a sin.. so picking and choosing what we do to express our faith isn't really something we can do without consequence... and for those of us who practice this faith, it IS a consequence.

It's sort of the same thing with some religions and certain foods. You wouldn't expect a corps member to go hungry just because their cook truck is serving pulled pork sandwiches and that kid is Jewish and can't eat pork, would you? No, you'd expect there would be options made available to kids with special needs -- whether medically or religiously observed. I don't expect a corps to drag a kid around town to go to church.. but I WOULD expect if that kid makes the line and holds certain beliefs, he or she wouldn't be discouraged to fit religious practice into tour life however he or she could without fear of retribution.

Anyway, I think depending on what faith you ascribe to and what religion you practice, you can find a way to live your beliefs and still march corps in the summer. Sometimes you just have to be creative and plan ahead.

I'm very surprised at this since the catholic church usually refuses to hold a mass outside of a blessed chapel. I wonder if he did this with the knowledge of his parrish or if he was doing this on the sly because he felt it was the right thing to do for the corps members.

Maybe mass was held indoors? Any space is holy if it's blessed -- the Church has worked hard to come away from the practice of only celebrating Eucharist in "a church" -- so that the Word can reach the ears of believers, wherever they gather.

Maybe mass was held indoors? Any space is holy if it's blessed -- the Church has worked hard to come away from the practice of only celebrating Eucharist in "a church" -- so that the Word can reach the ears of believers, wherever they gather.

That's good. A lot of the most important missionaries (such as all of the Apostles) did all of their preaching and converting outside of temples and such. I know the Catholic Church has a lot of conditions and such, and that is awesome that they feel conviction to follow them. But I personally feel that the closer your attitude is to people like Paul and others living in Jesus' day, the better. They had to make do with what they had, and if preaching in a brothel or getting run out of town by armed soldiers was good enough for them, it's good enough for us. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not ripping on Catholics. There are a lot of differnt demoninations and different people need different things. As long as the basic tenents of Christianity are congruent, the regulations and dogma are not as important. But if someone has been called to be a Catholic instead of another denomination, they should follow the rules set forth by that church. It's like the whole "eating meat sacrificed to idols" deal. If you're called to do something, do it.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

General Putnam's Men had a lot of Catholic members, especially in the early years. They were almost always given the chance to go to an early mass on Sundays. Others could either go along or find something on their own as long as you were back by a certain time.

Edited by shawn craig