church supplement during tour

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i have been wondering as i am going to audition for bd this next year. i am catholic and my faith is really important to me. now i realize that there isnt enough time to let kids go to church every sunday but im wondering if there is some sort of supplemental service provided, be it bible study or whater, that is offered. OR is it just up to the members to deal with that kind of thing themselves all summer?

ps. sorry if this is a touchy subject for anyone on here; i dont mean to be abrasive :)

Well, I only know of one corps that actively encourages and makes time for its members to attend some organized worship service (and it changes from week to week -- to remain non-denominational, they are omni-denominational) and that's Pioneer. I'm not certain I've ever run across anyone who presented this issue in a corps I've worked with so here's something to consider:

Tour is set well ahead of time -- if not the exact locations, at least the towns -- and you'll typically know what town you'll be in on Sundays (and there's no guarantee that you'll be stationary on a Sunday.. but if you miss a Sunday, you can always handle it on a different day. I don't think God keeps track of your SUNDAY participation.. just that you participate.. but I digress).. why don't you consider doing a little pre-tour leg-work? Seek out and contact Catholic parishes in the communities you'll be in to find out if they have eucharistic ministers who bring eucharist to the homebound or sick.

Perhaps they could include a stop at the school you're staying at to bring you eucharist? I realize you're neither homebound nor sick while on tour.. but you are unable to attend church while you're travelling (typically) and they may be able to accommodate you.

Also, you can find out from your own parish what readings and meditations will be covered while you're on the road. You won't be able to celebrate "mass" per se.. but you should be able to follow the liturgy.. and if you can have a local parish bring you the eucharist, you are still participating in the mass.

Another thing to consider, once you make the corps, meet with your priest to address the issue. I'm sure he will be able to help you find an ammenable solution. He may send you with some additional reading or have you recite a rosary each week to help you feel connected to the church on tour.

Good luck!

When I marched it was also never bought up. Being a more spiritual person then religous I feel there is a need to give kids the chance to go if they want even if it interfers with practice. hard to believe that there are more important things then marching.

THANKS! that was pretty much the exact thing i wanted to hear!

hehehe.. now you HAVE to let me know when you make the line.. I'll mail you off a blue rosary! :D I'll even get the Cardinal to bless it if you like. B)

though.. it would be a Chicago Cardinal.. so.. it might end up being more of a.. well.. you know.. :rolleyes:

Edited by ScribeToo

hehehe.. now you HAVE to let me know when you make the line.. I'll mail you off a blue rosary! :D I'll even get the Cardinal to bless it if you like. B)

though.. it would be a Chicago Cardinal.. so.. it might end up being more of a.. well.. you know.. :rolleyes:

lol that would be fantastic and ironically outside of this activity green is my favorite color haha

When I marched it was also never bought up. Being a more spiritual person then religous I feel there is a need to give kids the chance to go if they want even if it interfers with practice. hard to believe that there are more important things then marching.

This is off topic, but would it be appropriate to send your parish a letter of sponsorship or donation?

IF you can get to the internet, all the information you would ever need can be found at www.masstimes.org. We were on the road last weekend and found a mass at some little town along the way. Worked great. You enter the city of choice and it will return the mass times from churches within a 20 mile radius or so. Try it. And, good job keeping your priorities straight. When I was young, I hadn't a clue..

This is a very interesting topic. It probabaly belongs in another thread, but this very issue is why I didn't fully pursue joining a corps. I thought for sure that there wouldn't be "any time" for the corps to worship. I agree with someone who said that God probably doesn't track your "Sunday" participation. In fact, I believe it is very dangerous and counter-productive to view Sunday as "Religious day". I believe we should try to live our lives for God and praise him EVERYDAY...(Not that I am succesful in this, not for lack of trying, but it is my goal). Not meant to "stir the pot"...just my two cents. B) I think it is great that Pioneer is striving to accomodate those who wish to worship on Sundays! I have a new found respect for them! (not that I didn't respect them before, of course).

Edited to make sure everyone understands that I am not trying to say I am better than any of you. In fact, I'm sure I'm probably a lot worse than many of you...It's a daily struggle, this life...

Edited by Cardman