Crossmen have no housing in Madison

You would think that with fuel being so expensive, they wouldn't dare screw up the one thing that isn't expensive yet is fundamental to every corps. It only takes 1 or 2 bad apples to ruin the entire crop and some people seem content to just #### it all away.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossmen have had a bumpy road this year, despite working hard and having a good attitude. Most people are not aware of some of the challenges they have faced on tour this year, and I haven't seen many of their problems published in this forum. I would like to see them get a break somewhere along the road. Time to change lanes!

unfortunately it is most often the non-offending group that is hurt because of the stupidity of others. :(

Best of luck to the Crossmen as they finish their push towards finals!

A few years ago I stopped by to watch Crossmen practice for Allentown. During their break, I saw some of the instructors and students walk across the parking lot to the other side of the street to smoke their cigs. Obviously they understood and excepted the school's policy on no smoking on school grounds.

This goes beyond a principal finding a cigarette butt on the floor.

The Crossmen aren't being punished because of tampered sprinklers or the like.

It has to do with 50 corps needing 50 schools in a medium sized town, with school boards who are worried aboit liability, and not caring at all about drumcorps.

The vast majority of corps expierences in the different facilities are fine and the schools are fine and happy, but Crossman's woes have nothing to do with this.

Alcohol consumption by corps members or staff should be banned. It presents a bad image. Imagine if an emergency came up and part of the staff was toasted...not good.

Smoking - well, as a former smoker I know how hard it is to quit. But if the school has no smoking signs on the campus, then it should be adhered to by all. Can't fathom someone smoking unless they are in the pit with all the marching involved.

It is up to staff and the directors to police the campus/housing area before they leave and if they leave it in bad shape, then they should be penalized in some way by DCI itself.

It has to do with 50 corps needing 50 schools in a medium sized town, with school boards who are worried aboit liability, and not caring at all about drumcorps.

can i ask why should the schools care?

why is it that a school should feel they have to open up their facilities in the middle of summer? you make it sound like the schools owe the activity. WRONG

the activity owes it to any school that nothing goes on that violates the rules the schools set up. yes schools are worried about liability and rightfully so. long after the corps is gone it is the school that will have to deal with anything that occurs on its premises.

Smoking - well, as a former smoker I know how hard it is to quit. But if the school has no smoking signs on the campus, then it should be adhered to by all. Can't fathom someone smoking unless they are in the pit with all the marching involved.

I thought that way until the summer I marched. I was really surprised at the number of members that smoked on tour. It wasn't a whole lot of them, but it was more than I would have ever expected. Virtually of them were vets, at least I recall.

can i ask why should the schools care?

why is it that a school should feel they have to open up their facilities in the middle of summer? you make it sound like the schools owe the activity. WRONG

the activity owes it to any school that nothing goes on that violates the rules the schools set up. yes schools are worried about liability and rightfully so. long after the corps is gone it is the school that will have to deal with anything that occurs on its premises.

I don't feel school boards should care, sorry if that is worded incorrectly. In fact they don't, as most of them don't like the idea of out-of-town strangers using their facilities.

Columbine, sexual assualt, fires, medical liability, someone trips and falls it's lawsuit time, overtime to the janitors etc....heck, I wouldn't house a corps.

Edited by siuehist

crossmen were a good 2 + hours from housing in 99 and 02 in madison, so this isn't a new thing...

(note...I messed this one up....2+ hours in 99 and close enough to hop, skip and jump in 02)

Edited by drewbugler