Crossmen have no housing in Madison

I would like to know how they assign the housing. Why is it Crossmen that doesn't get it, not Cadets, Cavies or Mandarins? There are over 50 corps in Madison, is Crossmen the only one that didn't get housing?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know how they assign the housing. Why is it Crossmen that doesn't get it, not Cadets, Cavies or Mandarins? There are over 50 corps in Madison, is Crossmen the only one that didn't get housing?

Sounds like it was one of those situations where Crossmen already had housing but the school cancelled out on them.

Edited by sburstall

from what i hear it's getting worse.

between major renovation projects that can really only be done in the summer, to increased liability, etc. many schools are just saying "we're not available for use".

Yup...that's how it is in our district...we have tried the past three years to get permission to house a corps and get turned down by the admin every time. We think it wold be very eduactional for our MB members to get an idea of the work ethic and dedication involved in creating a high-end show like a DCI corps.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

DCI's housing guy, who is responsible for securing housing for all the regionals, the other "major" DCI shows such as Louisville and Battle Creek, and for finals, has been busting his butt since last winter trying to find housing.

Schools are getting more reluctant every year to open their doors for corps to stay overnight. Part of this is due to factors that corps cannot control, such as earlier beginning dates for classes and school systems being more aware of liability issues due to the litigious nature of society.

But part of the problems is the behavior of some corps members and staffs who either don't feel like they have to abide by the rules set by the schools, or just don't care how they behave in schools.

As an example, Saturday in Atlanta, DCI's housing guy got a call from the band director at a school that was housing one of the corps. It seems that the drain in the girl's shower got clogged by hair (maybe some of the members were cutting hair in the shower, I don't know). Anyway, it was not a clogged drain pipe, but a simple problem of hair collecting around the drain. But because none of the girls cared enough about the facility to simply reach down and scoop up the hair, the shower overflowed out of the locker room, into the hallway, down the hallway and into the athletic department offices, soaking boxes of new team uniforms that were sitting on the floor.

That was strike one.

The principal came to the school because of the flooding. First thing he finds is someone smoking on his campus, which was clearly marked as a non-smoking facility.

Strike two.

Then, the principal finds an empty rum bottle in one of the classrooms being used by the corps for staff sleeping.

That's strike three folks, and we're out as far as EVER using that facility again for corps housing.

THAT, my friend, is INEXCUSABLE.

and at that point there is no one to blame but the corps themselves when things like this happen.

that's sad. :(

One school that Colts stayed with in 2003 (I think) didn't want us to rehearse shirtless. I think it was some high school in Missouri, can't remember. It was frickin hot that day too....grrrrrr

One school that Colts stayed with in 2003 (I think) didn't want us to rehearse shirtless. I think it was some high school in Missouri, can't remember. It was frickin hot that day too....grrrrrr

but there is a big difference from going shirtless to property damage and having alcohol on school property. most rules that schools ask you to follow do not have unrealistic expections to them. i admit i find the shirtless rule a bit out of the norm.

That's happened to Spirit a couple of times in the past, too.

And when that happens, you just have to deal with it and wear shirts, because as unreasonable as the request might seem, we're still guests in their "house" and we have to abide by their rules if we want to be asked back.

My wife runs Spirit's three "home" shows, and last week in Russellville, the band director at the school that was housing Crossmen hunted her down at the show to tell her that if the Crossmen are in the show next year, he definitely wanted to house them again.

Kudos to Crossmen for leaving that kind of impact! :unsure:

Finals week is a holy grail to Drum Corps and their housing. With fans, parents, alums popping in and rehearsals that can determine placements or that "extra day" it is very undesirable for corps to share finals sights. In addition, there is the issue of scheduling, field usage and conflict, showers, sleeping quarters, etc.

In 85, 86, and 87, Sky Ryders and Bluecoats shared the same school at Championships. It was actually quite cool. We got to watch each other reherse on breaks, and we even performed our shows for each other. In all three years, that was the only time we got to see Bluecoats peform their show. It was also a great time hanging out with them and getting to know some people from another corps.

In 85, 86, and 87, Sky Ryders and Bluecoats shared the same school at Championships. It was actually quite cool. We got to watch each other reherse on breaks, and we even performed our shows for each other. In all three years, that was the only time we got to see Bluecoats peform their show. It was also a great time hanging out with them and getting to know some people from another corps.

That was DEFINTELY cool those years!!! Sennet Middle School!!! Nice facility too!

I also remember the school principal each of those years coming out most of everyday with his wife, planting his lawn chair on that small hill and watching us rehearse! In 1987, he actually bought tickets went to finals. I guess he was "converted" since he never even saw a corps until 'Coats and Sky stayed at his school.