Crossmen have no housing in Madison

Finals week is a holy grail to Drum Corps and their housing. With fans, parents, alums popping in and rehearsals that can determine placements or that "extra day" it is very undesirable for corps to share finals sights. In addition, there is the issue of scheduling, field usage and conflict, showers, sleeping quarters, etc.

In 1981 Madison and us stayed in dorms. Plenty of room for everyone but only one practice field. It still worked out for both corps.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inexcusable

it's not like DCI can go to a place and force them to house a corps.

I'd imagine they have tried a lot of options by now.

look at DCI East...it's this week and 3 corps need housing yet

Finals week is a holy grail to Drum Corps and their housing. With fans, parents, alums popping in and rehearsals that can determine placements or that "extra day" it is very undesirable for corps to share finals sights. In addition, there is the issue of scheduling, field usage and conflict, showers, sleeping quarters, etc.

Interesting, since in 1985, 1986, and 1987 The bluecoats and Sky Ryders shared housing in Madison finals week. It was very memorably and in 1985 & 1986 we performed our shows for each other. There were 2 fields with a good sized hill between them.

Why is it so hard to get housing? Has it always been difficult, or is it getting worse?

from what i hear it's getting worse.

between major renovation projects that can really only be done in the summer, to increased liability, etc. many schools are just saying "we're not available for use".

Usually no housing means no practice field as well :(

I would let them share my room at the Crown Plaza, but it may be a little tight :sshh:

Unoffici8ally, word is the current DCI housing director dropped the ball. If this is indeed the case. I find it inexcuseable.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

DCI's housing guy, who is responsible for securing housing for all the regionals, the other "major" DCI shows such as Louisville and Battle Creek, and for finals, has been busting his butt since last winter trying to find housing.

Schools are getting more reluctant every year to open their doors for corps to stay overnight. Part of this is due to factors that corps cannot control, such as earlier beginning dates for classes and school systems being more aware of liability issues due to the litigious nature of society.

But part of the problems is the behavior of some corps members and staffs who either don't feel like they have to abide by the rules set by the schools, or just don't care how they behave in schools.

As an example, Saturday in Atlanta, DCI's housing guy got a call from the band director at a school that was housing one of the corps. It seems that the drain in the girl's shower got clogged by hair (maybe some of the members were cutting hair in the shower, I don't know). Anyway, it was not a clogged drain pipe, but a simple problem of hair collecting around the drain. But because none of the girls cared enough about the facility to simply reach down and scoop up the hair, the shower overflowed out of the locker room, into the hallway, down the hallway and into the athletic department offices, soaking boxes of new team uniforms that were sitting on the floor.

That was strike one.

The principal came to the school because of the flooding. First thing he finds is someone smoking on his campus, which was clearly marked as a non-smoking facility.

Strike two.

Then, the principal finds an empty rum bottle in one of the classrooms being used by the corps for staff sleeping.

That's strike three folks, and we're out as far as EVER using that facility again for corps housing.

THAT, my friend, is INEXCUSABLE.